Questions for Theists: God and Temptation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2013, 08:36 AM
RE: Questions for Theists: God and Temptation
"So what do you think the purpose of the Bible is if not to help save us?"

To justify the status quo, to keep the poor from revolting, to discourage slave uprisings, to practically enslave women, to silence dissent on pain of death, to...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2013, 09:18 AM
(09-07-2013 07:57 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  So, to get back to my original direction, . . . . Jesus, if he was god, couldn't have been "tempted as we are". To "fall to a sin" would be something so foreign to this being [if 'he' is as mainstream christianity claim 'him' to be] that it would not be at all understood. It would be like a guy trying to understand what it is like to have a baby inside. This "god" would have no TRUE understanding of "why living humans do what they do", . . . so any "judgement" would be completely out of a NECESSARY frame of reference. "Walking around in a meat suit" doesn't cut it, either.

i dunno if ur name should b hilarious or ridiculous..

there cant b but truth, so what knows better face the worse, out of true logical ends

u r like crazy, as if humans is a race that mean anything coming from nowhere having no relation with least of bases, while wat r u but just one person that cant at all see im sure even the most close to u right

too easy to talk about things and making stories around it to enjoy a sense of an audience listenning and believing easy being all

anyway, a human is a mortal forced being, like killed necessary at its time, so by definition human dont exist

that is why guys with some powers like jesus attract anyone to serve him as a god like all churchs around the world certify forgetting all about being humans just for a glimse of his powers on them

u r obsessed by the idea of being judged that is all what u mean and u dont want to mention it directly, but want to get to it at ur terms

u dont care all the nonsense u r forcing for such a will in others minds
u dont care that u never say smthg useful something real or present
09-07-2013, 10:06 AM
absols, . . . I don't know what the hell you are saying.
09-07-2013, 10:46 AM
(08-07-2013 03:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  I would conclude God could explain everything including mistranslation, misapplication, misconstruing, misunderstanding. Nonetheless, God either does not always do so, or we do not always listen correctly...

The issue is always trust or faith. There indeed appear to be things God would not want us to know until He wants us to, if ever...

This subject is made irrelevant by the knowledge of God. I don't have to read it to know God does not tempt any man, nor is He tempted. It is a logical conclusion that God knows the ignorant will both reason and act out of that ignorance.

But how could one have "knowledge of God" if God is apparently being utterly mysterious on purpose? It's implied, if you believe that God inspired the bible, that there is a certain amount of information that he desires you to have... otherwise, you wouldn't have access to a book that he inspired filled with exactly that knowledge. But what if, for some weird reason, it wasn't written in a way that actually imparted that information? After all, it's supposedly written, edited, and distributed through humans but ultimately from a "perfect" being. Well, it's only reasonable that He'd clarify it for you if you asked Him to do it. The fact that He doesn't is best explained by his inability to communicate with you (which, in my view, is due to His continued non-existence).

You seem to think that God must have intended for people to remain ignorant because people are ignorant (and you can't accept the more likely possibility that your religious beliefs are entirely false). If I were a God and wanted people to have full access to my holy book (including to the illiterate), I would have it written in script that could be read by literally anyone, much like "speaking in tongues" through the written word. My method would insure that more people would be able to read it and (more on our point) be able to understand exactly what I want them to understand. How is it that my method is more logical than a being who has had an infinite amount of time to think about how to pull it off?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Starcrash, I find it pretty amazing that there are SO many different denominations of christianity, all "knowing that they have the truth" AND, . . . "understanding things that were spiritually discerned to them by the holy spirit". It is a very good example as to why the Canon of scripture is, in fact, NOT "inspired by any god". If it had been, there would have been only ONE denomination.

And if you can't trust that book [as a christian], then you shouldn't trust what "you believe about it". It's a crap shoot, really.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post