Questions for Tomasia and drewpaul

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2015, 11:46 AM
RE: Questions for Tomasia and drewpaul
The only thing I'm really trying to illustrate is that there are many claims one can make about god.

examples:

1. God exists.

2. I believe that god exists.

3. If I had to guess, I would say that god exists.

And I just wanted to point out that number three is compatible with agnosticism and atheism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2015, 11:52 AM
(11-08-2015 11:46 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  The only thing I'm really trying to illustrate is that there are many claims one can make about god.

examples:

1. God exists.

And I just wanted to point out that number three is compatible with agnosticism, theism, and atheism.

Fixed

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
11-08-2015, 11:58 AM
(11-08-2015 11:46 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  1. God exists.

But what does the difference between these three claims amount to?

Is it just varying degrees of confidence?

1. Means 100% confident God exists
2. Anything less than 100% confident up to 70%
3. Anything less than 70%.

Something like that?
11-08-2015, 12:04 PM
(11-08-2015 11:46 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  The only thing I'm really trying to illustrate is that there are many claims one can make about god.

examples:

1. God exists.

And I just wanted to point out that number three is compatible with agnosticism and atheism.

And, as KC noted, theism as well.

There are two different questions being conflated here (and I'm not excluding myself from getting them mixed up sometimes):
1. Does god exist?
2. Do you believe that god exists?

The answer to the first can be yes, no, or I don't know. The answer to the second can only be yes or no. You either believe it or you don't. If you don't then we need to ask "2a. Do you believe no god exists?". My only point has been that saying "I don't know" to question #2 is either actually answering question #1 or an attempt to answer both 2 and 2a at the same time.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-08-2015, 12:13 PM
(11-08-2015 11:52 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

examples:

1. God exists.

3. I don't hold the belief that god does exist, but if I had to guess, I would say that he does. (similar to "I don't hold the belief that OJ is guilty, but if I had to guess, I would say that he is")

And I just wanted to point out that number three is compatible with agnosticism and atheism, but not theism.

Fixed

double fixed
11-08-2015, 12:19 PM
(11-08-2015 12:13 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 11:52 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Fixed

double fixed

I think you just answered everyone's question as to whether or not it's worth the time to engage in an "intelligent" conversation with you about atheism and theism.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
11-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Oh and Matt, click this green arrow for an explanation as to why you are wrong... since you seemed to skip it.

(11-08-2015 10:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

11-08-2015, 12:31 PM
KC, not sure why you're upset. I agree that I needed to add to my post to make my point. Sorry if I've offended you.
11-08-2015, 12:38 PM
(11-08-2015 12:31 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  KC, not sure why you're upset. I agree that I needed to add to my post to make my point. Sorry if I've offended you.

No... not upset. You'll know when I'm upset.

You cherry picking data and explanations to support your assertion while ignoring blatant evidence contrary to your assertion while simultaneously placing it under the guise of "intelligent thought" is offensive to all people who do strive to have intelligent dialog with others.

You are no different than theists or YECs cherry picking data and ignoring evidence. You just think it's okay because you're an agnostic/atheist.

Again, if you want to be seen as credible instead of dishonest, your door has to swing both ways in regards to "intelligent thought".

11-08-2015, 12:41 PM
(11-08-2015 12:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 12:31 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  KC, not sure why you're upset. I agree that I needed to add to my post to make my point. Sorry if I've offended you.

No... not upset. You'll know when I'm upset.

You cherry picking data and explanations to support your assertion while ignoring blatant evidence contrary to your assertion while simultaneously placing it under the guise of "intelligent thought" is offensive to all people who do strive to have intelligent dialog with others.

You are no different than theists or YECs cherry picking data and ignoring evidence. You just think it's okay because you're an agnostic/atheist.

Again, if you want to be seen as credible instead of dishonest, your door has to swing both ways in regards to "intelligent thought".

What data am I cherry picking? What am I ignoring?