Questions for a neuroscientist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: Questions for a neuroscientist
(10-10-2016 02:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 01:45 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  This is the science section of this forum where questions are supposed to be answered by other members. Imagine if someone asked some questions and other members just replied:

"I am not going to answer them. Just read a book."

I also read the link. That link does not answer the types of questions I am asking.

You don't get to tell me what ANYTHING at TTA is "supposed to be", sonny.
I never said "read a book".
I told you to gather some information and DO SOME WORK yourself.
Are you like 12 ?
I apologize if I have pestered you or anyone else here. I think my post being too long has put off everyone. So how about if I give a brief summary instead? Hopefully that will allow me to earn the respect of others here. Also, I have read and studied up on ndes. So those questions are ready to be asked.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2016, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 02:29 PM by Gloucester.)
(10-10-2016 02:18 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 02:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You don't get to tell me what ANYTHING at TTA is "supposed to be", sonny.
Are you like 12 ?
I apologize if I have pestered you or anyone else here. I think my post being too long has put off everyone. So how about if I give a brief summary instead? Hopefully that will allow me to earn the respect of others here.

So long as you remember that:

1. There are no neuroscientists here volunteering an answer.
2. We could offer only anecdote.
3. No one here is going to research your answers for you.

This is a discussion and debating arena, not a place offering seminars in complex subjects.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 4 users Like Gloucester's post
10-10-2016, 02:29 PM
G'day, and welcome to the forums. Smile

(10-10-2016 12:24 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  I wish to gain neuroscientific inquiry regarding the relationship between near death experiences and the elements presented in dreaming. I have 7 questions that I would like to ask. [...]

I really think the sort of detailed answers to the questions you're asking are above and beyond the level of expertise of most of our members—but I could be wrong?

You may be better off asking on a purely science-based forum such as BrainMeta.com Forum.

Hope this helps.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-10-2016, 02:50 PM
(10-10-2016 01:45 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 01:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Read the link. They can be answered. Too bad you're so lazy.
This is the science section of this forum where questions are supposed to be answered by other members. Imagine if someone asked some questions and other members just replied:

I also read the link. That link does not answer the types of questions I am asking.

You asked a neuroscientist to answer your questions for you. As far as I know, there are none currently on TTA (although I could be wrong). Therefore, I gave you an idea for a book that will answer your questions from a scientific point of view--since that is what it appeared you were looking for. Bucky gave you a link in which all you have to do is point and click to get your answers. You do not want to do either. Sometimes if you truly want answers, you need to be willingly to put *some* work in on your own.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
10-10-2016, 03:07 PM
(10-10-2016 02:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 01:45 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  This is the science section of this forum where questions are supposed to be answered by other members. Imagine if someone asked some questions and other members just replied:

You don't get to tell me what ANYTHING at TTA is "supposed to be", sonny.
Are you like 12 ?
Do your own damn homework, and THEN , after you have done the basics, ask questions.

I think he lumped our posts together. I'm the one who *suggested* a book he might be interested in reading. Apparently that's not allowed 'cause reading Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
10-10-2016, 03:11 PM
(10-10-2016 02:18 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 02:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You don't get to tell me what ANYTHING at TTA is "supposed to be", sonny.
Are you like 12 ?
I apologize if I have pestered you or anyone else here. I think my post being too long has put off everyone. So how about if I give a brief summary instead? Hopefully that will allow me to earn the respect of others here. Also, I have read and studied up on ndes. So those questions are ready to be asked.

It would be easier if it was more of a summary or maybe bullet point your questions. We don't mind helping you, but keep in mind we are not neuroscientists.

10-10-2016, 03:32 PM
(10-10-2016 03:11 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 02:18 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  I apologize if I have pestered you or anyone else here. I think my post being too long has put off everyone. So how about if I give a brief summary instead? Hopefully that will allow me to earn the respect of others here. Also, I have read and studied up on ndes. So those questions are ready to be asked.

It would be easier if it was more of a summary or maybe bullet point your questions. We don't mind helping you, but keep in mind we are not neuroscientists.
Alright, I will give a brief summary then. In my worst nightmares, I have experienced radically altered mental states. There is no way to describe these experiences. They are the worst hellish experiences.

I worry that such altered mental states can be experienced during a fully conscious near death experience providing that ndes are fully conscious states. Elements of dreaming can be involved in ndes and I worry that these altered mental states can be one of these elements.

Are these radically altered mental states that we experience in our dreams and nightmares an element only exclusive to dreams and nightmares, or can they also be experienced during a fully conscious nde?

If such mental states cannot be experienced during a fully conscious nde, then what about mental states that are similar? It would be the absolute worst thing for me to be fully conscious and aware of such horrible altered mental states.

But if such mental states cannot be experienced during a fully conscious nde or similar mental states, then I have no reason to worry. But if they can be experienced, then I will remain very worried.

However, in my waking state, I have power against horrible experiences in my life which makes horrible experiences in my waking life nothing more than unpleasant and not all that bad. I don't have this power in my dreaming state which makes any horrible feeling or altered mental state the absolute worst hellish experience in my nightmares.

So I wonder if I will have this complete power against any such horrible feelings or altered mental states in a fully conscious nde or if they will be completely hellish overpowering experiences like they were in my nightmares.
10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
I would say you are most likely not fully conscious during an NDE, unless by fully conscious you mean in a dream-like or hallucinatory state. I would think, from what I have read, that an NDE would be like a dream, although others have reported not seeing much of anything. From a quick search on wiki:

"Some sleep researchers, such as Timothy J. Green, Lynne Levitan and Stephen LaBerge, have noted that NDEs are similar to many reports of lucid dreaming, in which the individual realizes he is in a dream."

Also from Wiki: "A lucid dream is any dream during which the dreamer is aware that they are dreaming. During lucid dreaming, the dreamer may be able to exert some degree of control over the dream characters, narrative, and environment."

If your current nightmares are really bothersome, it might be a good idea to talk to a therapist who could help you walk through things that could be triggering them, which in turn, could help alleviate them.

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-10-2016, 04:16 PM
(10-10-2016 04:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would say you are most likely not fully conscious during an NDE, unless by fully conscious you mean in a dream-like or hallucinatory state. I would think, from what I have read, that an NDE would be like a dream, although others have reported not seeing much of anything. From a quick search on wiki:

"Some sleep researchers, such as Timothy J. Green, Lynne Levitan and Stephen LaBerge, have noted that NDEs are similar to many reports of lucid dreaming, in which the individual realizes he is in a dream."

Also from Wiki: "A lucid dream is any dream during which the dreamer is aware that they are dreaming. During lucid dreaming, the dreamer may be able to exert some degree of control over the dream characters, narrative, and environment."

If your current nightmares are really bothersome, it might be a good idea to talk to a therapist who could help you walk through things that could be triggering them, which in turn, could help alleviate them.
I am aware that Steven Novella said that ndes have nothing to do with dreaming. That they are not dreams, but can contain elements of dreaming since some of the neurological processes that are involved in dreaming can be involved during ndes and I worry that those radically altered mental states that I experienced in my horrible nightmares can be one of these elements.
10-10-2016, 04:19 PM
(10-10-2016 04:16 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 04:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would say you are most likely not fully conscious during an NDE, unless by fully conscious you mean in a dream-like or hallucinatory state. I would think, from what I have read, that an NDE would be like a dream, although others have reported not seeing much of anything. From a quick search on wiki:

I am aware that Steven Novella said that ndes have nothing to do with dreaming. That they are not dreams, but can contain elements of dreaming since some of the neurological processes that are involved in dreaming can be involved during ndes and I worry that those radically altered mental states that I experienced in my horrible nightmares can be one of these elements.

It sounds like your nightmares are really bothering you. I think it would be a good idea to talk to a therapist about them. Sometimes pinpointing the cause of things can help lessen things or make them go away.