Questions for a neuroscientist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2016, 04:29 PM
RE: Questions for a neuroscientist
(10-10-2016 04:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 04:16 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  I am aware that Steven Novella said that ndes have nothing to do with dreaming. That they are not dreams, but can contain elements of dreaming since some of the neurological processes that are involved in dreaming can be involved during ndes and I worry that those radically altered mental states that I experienced in my horrible nightmares can be one of these elements.

It sounds like your nightmares are really bothering you. I think it would be a good idea to talk to a therapist about them. Sometimes pinpointing the cause of things can help lessen things or make them go away.
I am over those horrible nightmares. But even so, once can still have hellish ndes and experience what they do in their worst nightmares regardless if these people are over their nightmares or not.

But anyway, going back to that question I just asked. Do you know the answer? If so, can you give your answer and explain the neuroscience that backs it up?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2016, 04:30 PM
SMG - As a young child I was mildly tortured for a brief period if time. Nothing major, but I was in a helpless position and unable to escape or stop the person who was inflicting me with pain.

As an adult some 45 years later, that brief experience still haunts my dreams. There are still positions I cannot place my arms in for very long without clinching them back to my sides.

You can worry all you want about near death experiences or you can attempt to train your mind to handle painful or horrific experiences that may be out of your control.

In my dreams I have over 40 different techniques that have helped me throughout the years to counter most of the situations that I experience, when I'm put in a helpless position.

But even with all that, I still experience torture in my dreams.

I understand your worry, but the best way to conquer a fear is to face it head on and make yourself as mentally strong as you dare.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
10-10-2016, 04:35 PM
(10-10-2016 04:29 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 04:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It sounds like your nightmares are really bothering you. I think it would be a good idea to talk to a therapist about them. Sometimes pinpointing the cause of things can help lessen things or make them go away.
I am over those horrible nightmares. But even so, once can still have hellish ndes and experience what they do in their worst nightmares regardless if these people are over their nightmares or not.

But anyway, going back to that question I just asked. Do you know the answer? If so, can you give your answer and explain the neuroscience that backs it up?

I'm not a neuroscientist, so no. Hopefully someone else on here might have training in that area.

Agreed, anyone of us could have a hellish NDE--all entirely possible. But not everyone spends time worrying about it. You seem to be extremely worried about it and that's why I thought your issues with current nightmares may not be as over as you think. If they are, I'm glad you were able to put all of that behind you.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
10-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Oh, BTW SMG, apart from all those nasty night time experiences just before my near fatal heart attack(s): including that event I should have died three times so far - My cardiac implant saved me the other two times.

No NDEs so far, though a sense of detachment from what was happening as they fought to save my life after I got to the hospital.

Though that might of been because they had pumped me full of morphine . . .

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
11-10-2016, 06:13 AM
Can I ask, do you get involved in Charles Leadbeater's works?
11-10-2016, 08:44 AM
(10-10-2016 03:32 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 03:11 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It would be easier if it was more of a summary or maybe bullet point your questions. We don't mind helping you, but keep in mind we are not neuroscientists.
Alright, I will give a brief summary then. In my worst nightmares, I have experienced radically altered mental states. There is no way to describe these experiences. They are the worst hellish experiences.

I worry that such altered mental states can be experienced during a fully conscious near death experience providing that ndes are fully conscious states. Elements of dreaming can be involved in ndes and I worry that these altered mental states can be one of these elements.

Are these radically altered mental states that we experience in our dreams and nightmares an element only exclusive to dreams and nightmares, or can they also be experienced during a fully conscious nde?

If such mental states cannot be experienced during a fully conscious nde, then what about mental states that are similar? It would be the absolute worst thing for me to be fully conscious and aware of such horrible altered mental states.

But if such mental states cannot be experienced during a fully conscious nde or similar mental states, then I have no reason to worry. But if they can be experienced, then I will remain very worried.

However, in my waking state, I have power against horrible experiences in my life which makes horrible experiences in my waking life nothing more than unpleasant and not all that bad. I don't have this power in my dreaming state which makes any horrible feeling or altered mental state the absolute worst hellish experience in my nightmares.

So I wonder if I will have this complete power against any such horrible feelings or altered mental states in a fully conscious nde or if they will be completely hellish overpowering experiences like they were in my nightmares.

(10-10-2016 03:32 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  So I wonder if I will have this complete power against any such horrible feelings or altered mental states

I hate to break it to you if you REALLY want to find out about these things, yes, read a few books. There's a wonderful neuroscientist named Oliver Sacks. He died last year but he wrote fantastic books on the brain. One of them is called "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat"

Here's a TED talk with Oliver Sacks

http://www.ted.com/talks/oliver_sacks_wh...anguage=en

And here are a couple of youtube videos. I haven't watched them but almost anything Oliver Sacks talks about is interesting and informative. He was an atheist.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post