Questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-10-2013, 09:36 PM
RE: Questions for atheists
(28-09-2013 04:13 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 12:00 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Why did you quote me to ask that question? I'm pretty sure you have the answer for that. Sadly, I don't know the answer to your question.

The answer is 42. The answer is always 42... Drinking Beverage

Okay, before I say anything, can I please just say that I loved this response? Smile

Hello again! Sorry, I didn't leave; with the end of the quarter I was swamped with seemingly endless amounts of papers, projects, tests, and finals! I barely had time for anything, especially on top of sports/gym!

I am so thrilled that this thread got so many response and I thank you for that! Seriously! You have no idea how much this helped me! Smile

In response to one of the questions given to me, yes I did learn a lot from being a part of this thread! It did not alter my beliefs and what I know to be true at all, but I really learned a lot about this perspective, and I thank you! Smile

I am sorry, I should have corrected it earlier but I didn't even catch it! It must have sounded so silly! Blush The last question was supposed to read "What personal life orienting core commitments are consistent with your worldview?" Sorry, my bad!

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me with this, I can't express it enough. You answered my questions so well! Are there any questions or comments you could possibly have for me?

Thanks again!
Megan Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Megan's post
04-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Hope you got a good grade on that paper Megan.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
04-10-2013, 10:05 PM
(04-10-2013 09:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Hope you got a good grade on that paper Megan.

Me too, to be honest! Hah Smile Thank you Smile
04-10-2013, 10:53 PM
(04-10-2013 09:36 PM)Megan Wrote:  ...
I am sorry, I should have corrected it earlier but I didn't even catch it! It must have sounded so silly! Blush The last question was supposed to read "What personal life orienting core commitments are consistent with your worldview?" Sorry, my bad!
Smartass
Do I get a gold star?

Ok, since you asked...

Question 1:
Did you ascertain from the responses that there is no such thing as an 'atheist worldview' as is often claimed by theists?
We are individuals. As are theists.

Girlyman is oft pointing out that he is his own personal Jesus

He means that he (and most people here... many ex-christians) have worked out that god = ego.

This process of realisation can take many years depending on how much affirmation of illusion surrounds us.

Others here, were lucky enough to be taught how to think (not 'what' to think) at an early age so we less easily indoctrinated.

So ...
(04-10-2013 09:36 PM)Megan Wrote:  ...
It did not alter my beliefs and what I know to be true at all,

Question 2:
How do you know?

And Question 42:
What is 6 x 9?

Cool

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
05-10-2013, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 12:59 AM by Reltzik.)
(04-10-2013 09:36 PM)Megan Wrote:  
(28-09-2013 04:13 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The answer is 42. The answer is always 42... Drinking Beverage

Okay, before I say anything, can I please just say that I loved this response? Smile

Hello again! Sorry, I didn't leave; with the end of the quarter I was swamped with seemingly endless amounts of papers, projects, tests, and finals! I barely had time for anything, especially on top of sports/gym!

I am so thrilled that this thread got so many response and I thank you for that! Seriously! You have no idea how much this helped me! Smile

In response to one of the questions given to me, yes I did learn a lot from being a part of this thread! It did not alter my beliefs and what I know to be true at all, but I really learned a lot about this perspective, and I thank you! Smile

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me with this, I can't express it enough. You answered my questions so well! Are there any questions or comments you could possibly have for me?

Thanks again!
Megan Smile

Welcome back!

My #8: We do not exist as isolated individuals. We are situated in an interdependent web of existence. Our actions affect other people and the rest of the world, and those affect us in turn. We leave a mark on the world around us and we have to live with that mark, so it's a good idea to make it a good mark. Generally speaking, this means trying to make the life experience as pleasant and rich as possible, for others as well as ourselves. It means making our society better and contributing to the depth and breadth of human knowledge and understanding, and also helping people on a smaller scale. This improves the world we live in, which benefits us as well as others, and also creates a legacy which is its own (limited) way of living on past death. (This isn't WHY I try to live in a people-positive way, that's more a natural empathy instinct at work rather than anything more sophisticated. But it does explain how it is consistent with my world view.)

I do have a lot of questions for you, but I'd prefer to go over them in PM if at all, simply to keep this thread from turning into a feeding frenzy. Tell me if you'd be interested in that.
05-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Quote:8) what person, life orienting core commitments are consistent with your worldview?

I SO wanted to answer this when I saw your explanation of it. So please allow me to do so.
I am lucky, because I have been given a strong body and a strong mind. I am lucky to be alive in a time where I will be allowed to use both to their fullest extent. And I am blessed to receive the accumulated benefit of the wisdom of the great men and women who have come before me. So my goal, my core commitment, is to leave behind not just the steel and mortar I will erect for those who will hire me, but to stand on the accomplishments of those great men who have come before me and to add to that which I have been so lucky to receive.
05-10-2013, 02:29 AM
My core commitment is that when I reach the end of my life I must feel that I gave it a damn good try.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks for checkin' in Meegsy.
You have a strange school schedule ? It wasn't a "final" then ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-10-2013, 03:22 PM
(04-10-2013 10:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Did you ascertain from the responses that there is no such thing as an 'atheist worldview' as is often claimed by theists?
We are individuals. As are theists.

Girlyman is oft pointing out that he is his own personal Jesus

He means that he (and most people here... many ex-christians) have worked out that god = ego.

This process of realisation can take many years depending on how much affirmation of illusion surrounds us.

Others here, were lucky enough to be taught how to think (not 'what' to think) at an early age so were less easily indoctrinated.

Yep. That. Thumbsup

I can not believe you used the Mode. Sooooo Girlyman. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Hi Megan,

I'm new here too and I see that you have a plethora of answers to your questions but I'd like to give mine as well .

What is the prime reality? If you mean what is the first cause then my answer would be existence. When you speak of causes you are talking about something in reality causing something else. But I don't think you can ask what caused reality as a whole because if reality is everything that exists then there is nowhere to look for the cause of everything. So existence comes before any causes and is primary. The law of causality is a part of existence. It presupposes existence.

What is the nature of external reality? Well I don't think there is such a thing. There is just reality. I think the nature of reality is that it is real. That is that reality is what it is and is independent of anyone's wishes or thoughts. A is A. There is one reality.

What is a Human Being? A species of primate. The most advanced form of life that we know of so far in the galaxy.

What happens at death? All the chemical reactions cease. Beyond that no one knows.

How is it possible to know anything? As to the why see the answer to question 2. As to the how, we possess consciousness.

How do we know what is right and wrong? Well I'll answer with another question. How do we know how to grow a crop? How do we find out how to land a probe on Mars or to cure a disease? We know it by observation, by induction, by reason by experimentation. It is the same for any knowledge. There are no shortcuts to knowledge.

What is the meaning of Human history? It will mean different things to different people depending on the values they hold.

What personal, life orienting core commitments are consistent with your worldview?
Reason, purpose, self esteem.

I hope you get a good grade on your paper.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick