Questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-09-2013, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2013 06:14 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Questions for atheists
(22-09-2013 12:34 PM)Megan Wrote:  Hi everybody! I am new here... I joined because I would really love some answers from you. I am writing a paper on worldviews and I have 8 questions to ask...I would really appreciate it if one of you could take the time to answer these!

1) what is prime reality? (the thing from which everything else comes)
Example: God
2) what is the nature of external reality?
Example: external reality is the universe which God created out of nothing.
3) what is a human being?
4) what happens at death?
5) why is it possible to know anything at all?
6) how do we know what is right and what is wrong?
7) what is the meaning of human history?
Example: history is a meaningful sequence of events that lead to God's will.
8) what person, life orienting core commitments are consistent with your worldview?

Thank you SO much to anyone who takes the time to answer these questions!
Megan Smile

Ok I'll bite. A homework assignment I suspect.

1. The question has has no coherent meaning.
"Prime reality" is ALREADY (a) structure in Reality, which rules out a "creator", (who needs to be the origin of ALL of Reality, not just a part of it.) There is only Reality. A god is not all of Reality, thus impossible by definition. An infinite deity can't be only part of Reality because from the start it was ONLY "part" or Reailty. It's the same problem with positing "existence" for a deity. A real deity has to BOTH exist and NOT exist.
2. If Pauli Exclusion is true, there is no such thing, as "external". (No gods "created" anything out of "nothing".) That would require Causality ALREADY in place, and "causing' Causality is meaningless. "Creation" is also a temporal act. Infinite/"eternal"(timeless) beings "acting" is a meaningless string of words. Space-time exists in this universe so far as we know now. Positing "temporality" as a necessary dimension for a "timeless" being is meaningless.
3. Homo sapiens : possess 42 chromosomes, (usually), "Homo is the genus of great apes that includes modern humans and species closely related to them. The genus is estimated to be about 2.3 to 2.4 million years old, possibly having evolved from australopithecine ancestors, with the appearance of Homo habilis. Several species, including Australopithecus garhi, Australopithecus sediba, Australopithecus africanus, and Australopithecus afarensis, have been proposed as the direct ancestor of the Homo lineage." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo
4. Look in a coffin, or attend a class in anatomy at a medical school. Humans are mortal. There is no evidence for a soul. Humans have been culturally habituated to the idea that life goes on after death. There is no evidence for that. "What's going on here" appears to be about groups/species and Evolution, (in the big picture) not about individuals, which in no way diminishes the experiences and meaningfulness individuals find in their personal lives. (Some modern humans are habituated to the concept of "rugged individualism", which has not always been the case.)
5. Because humans (and other animals) have evolved an organ called a brain which has molecular structures which sense and store (memory) what they experience, and are able to reference those memories, epigenetically, and by other neural mechanisms. It promotes survival.
6. It's relative to the situation. Humans have evolved codes of ethics which promote the survival and efficiency of their groups. There is no "absolute" right and wrong. You would kill, and consider it ok to defend yourself, and/or your family.
7. There are no gods. Every culture (whether they believe in the gods or not), assign their own cultural meanings to events. It varies by culture and actually by every person. To some, it's the success of their extended family, to others it's the success of their children, to others it's assisting others to make the most of their lives. The god's have no "will". That is an anthropomorphized concept extracted from an ancient philosophical error, by people who knew nothing about human brain functions, and processes, and molecular physiology, in an attempt to make sense of, and control (unsuccessfully) their environment.
8. Very poorly worded question. "core commitments ? " :
family,
making a small contribution to human progress,
helping those less fortunate,
using my specific skills to enhance the lives of those I come in close contact with and live with.
surfing,
making sure my dog is ok and happy,
pissing off the theists who come here,
other things which are none of your business.

Edit : There is no coherent definition of the linguistic string : "god".
There is no historically consistent concept or culture that has a coherent "god", (least of all the Hebrew/Christian deity Yahweh -- the ancient Babylonian god of the armies, and the 70th son of El Elyon, the chief Babylonian god. )

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Nice job reading for comprehension... Smartass
22-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Thank you guys so much for all of your responses! This really helps!

For those of you who were concerned I was a troll, I promise I am not. I really needed these answers. I am writing a paper for a class on a different worldview than my own (I am a Theist), and I had to ask a specific person about what they thought of these 8 core worldview questions. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer these questions. I just gave the examples (of what I believe) in case some of the questions you thought "what in the world is that supposed to mean?"

Thank you all again!
Megan
22-09-2013, 06:11 PM
When you finish your paper, can we see it?

Also, I'd answer these questions, but everyone else pretty much answered them for me.
22-09-2013, 06:12 PM
(22-09-2013 06:08 PM)Megan Wrote:  Thank you guys so much for all of your responses! This really helps!

For those of you who were concerned I was a troll, I promise I am not. I really needed these answers. I am writing a paper for a class on a different worldview than my own (I am a Theist), and I had to ask a specific person about what they thought of these 8 core worldview questions. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer these questions. I just gave the examples (of what I believe) in case some of the questions you thought "what in the world is that supposed to mean?"

Thank you all again!
Megan

I do hope that you do not leave forever. Please stick around; you may learn something or have good input. Thumbsup

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
22-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Bucky Ball, may I ask just your first name? So I can give a name to the person I interviewed for my paper?

If not, that's okay, I'll think of something.

And if you really want to read my paper when it is done, I suppose I can post it. Smile

Thank you all!

Edit: Bucky Ball, just for clarification on the last question, I guess you could say in other words, what is your goal in life? Like get rich or die trying? Do what makes you happy? That kind of thing... if that changes your answer at all? Sorry for the confusion.
22-09-2013, 06:24 PM
(22-09-2013 06:00 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  I'm going to call it before it happens. This is a troll thread. Megan has the answer and wants to verify that anyone who answers otherwise doesn't (Example: God)

Good luck Megan. You are delusional and I'm not interested in helping you do anything but turn away from the immoral, dangerous lifestyle you seem to be living.

Bit premature to call troll don't you think? Bit overly hostile sounding as well.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
22-09-2013, 06:25 PM
(22-09-2013 06:19 PM)Megan Wrote:  Bucky Ball, may I ask just your first name? So I can give a name to the person I interviewed for my paper?

And if you really want to read my paper when it is done, I suppose I can post it. Smile

Thank you all!

Edit: Bucky Ball, just for clarification on the last question, I guess you could say in other words, what is your goal in life? Like get rich or die trying? Do what makes you happy? That kind of thing... if that changes your answer at all? Sorry for the confusion.

I'll Private Message it to you. But it's never to be posted on the internet. You may use it in your paper however.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
22-09-2013, 06:28 PM
(22-09-2013 06:19 PM)Megan Wrote:  Bucky Ball, may I ask just your first name? So I can give a name to the person I interviewed for my paper?

Thank you all!

What, I'm not good enough?

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
22-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Good luck on your paper.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown