Questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-09-2013, 06:41 PM
RE: Questions for atheists
Thank you so much!

All of your answers were helpful in that it helped me understand this worldview a little more, but as I have to choose one person's answers, Bucky Ball elaborated the most Smile

And no worries, I didn't get offended with the trolling comment. I completely understand! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Choosing one answer gives a very slanted picture.

I certainly hope you are not going to cherry pick this and give a slanted picture of what atheists in general think.

Facts are facts, but some of the questions, especially the last one, are personal opinion questions, and one person is not representative of all atheists.

( no offense, Bucky)

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
22-09-2013, 07:33 PM
(22-09-2013 12:34 PM)Megan Wrote:  1) what is prime reality? (the thing from which everything else comes)
Example: God
2) what is the nature of external reality?
Example: external reality is the universe which God created out of nothing.
3) what is a human being?
4) what happens at death?
5) why is it possible to know anything at all?
6) how do we know what is right and what is wrong?
7) what is the meaning of human history?
Example: history is a meaningful sequence of events that lead to God's will.
8) what person, life orienting core commitments are consistent with your worldview?

1- I don't know. I don't think anyone does. In case you're asking what's before the Big Bang, the question is irrelevant. There's no time yet at that point, therefore a before is impossible.

2- Redefine, focus, rephrase. Other than that, everything that isn't me qualifies I presume.

3- Again, be more precise. Top of the food chain on Earth presumably. Another definition could be a bunch of cells resulting from the encounter of an egg and a spermatozoid with a fully functionnal brain. A third definition could be a sensitive, respectful person.

4- Vital functions terminate, body starts to decay. Those that loved me cry and remember me fondly. The doctors thank my wife for the life my liver allowed to save.

5- I know english some if that is your question. I'm pretty sure it's not, so be less vague. The answer is likely to be yes though.

6- We don't. That's why we make mistakes all the time. Oh, you meant morality? Why not say so without circumnavigating the question. Empathy is a very helpful evolutionary trait. Long term, killing everyone around you leads to you being killed by someone stronger and younger or by you being isolated. In either case, passing the «pure asshole» gene is harder.

7- It has one? I suppose it means we get to further our knowledge. Numerous failures at that, like the burning of the library in Alexandria or the death of Gallileo may invalidate this. Propagation of the species is my Plan B answer.

8- My wife is. You were expecting Darwin or Einstein? I know my wife a lot better. I'm also capable of critical thinking and don't have idols. If someone says something interesting, I shall state so. I'm however not a person to quote others much. If you insist, I do like Plato, Sartre, Azimov and Pierre Desproges.
[+] 1 user Likes GaëlK7's post
22-09-2013, 08:03 PM
(22-09-2013 07:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  Choosing one answer gives a very slanted picture.

I certainly hope you are not going to cherry pick this and give a slanted picture of what atheists in general think.

Facts are facts, but some of the questions, especially the last one, are personal opinion questions, and one person is not representative of all atheists.

( no offense, Bucky)

No offense taken! And my teacher and...well everyone at the school is very aware that everyone has a varying opinion about everything. It isn't a research paper on one specific worldview; he just wanted us to interview one non Christian and just get a look at other opinions out there Smile
22-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Any chance you'd tell us what school? (college/university I'm assuming, just curious. You don't have to answer)

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Are you going to include an unedited version of the interview attached to the paper?
22-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Ah. Us atheists tend to be sticklers on getting research right. I guess you are writing more of a personal view essay than doing actual research.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Because these questions seem to be causing a bit of confusion in their meaning, I will answer with what I believe. (I have what I need for the paper, but I am genuinely interested in this topic).

1) prime reality is God, revealed in scripture. Everything came from Him and he was before everything else.
2) external reality is the universe God created out of nothing.
3) humans are made in the image of God and possess His values. We are not evolved monkeys. We were made specifically to be the way we are.
4) death is either the gate to God or the gate to eternal separation (heaven and hell, basically)
5) because we are made in the image of God, we possess some of his characteristics, so we have the capacity to know things, which distinguishes us from other living organisms. (not to be confused with "we are exactly like God." no, we are not perfect and He is far, far greater. But we are similar...as in poor reflections of his perfect character).
6) ethics is transcendent and is based upon the character of God.
7) history is a meaningful sequence of events that lead to the will of God.
8) Christians seek the kingdom of God by enjoying him forever

I hope this cleared up an vagueness or confusion about the meaning of the questions!
22-09-2013, 08:14 PM
(22-09-2013 08:07 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  Are you going to include an unedited version of the interview attached to the paper?

Not exactly... I am turning it into a two paged paper... But I will not be twisting any words at all or be taking anything out of context if that is what you mean Smile
22-09-2013, 08:15 PM
(22-09-2013 08:12 PM)Megan Wrote:  We are not evolved monkeys.

Of course not. We're apes.
[+] 5 users Like DemonicLemon's post