Questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-09-2013, 08:16 PM
RE: Questions for atheists
(22-09-2013 08:03 PM)Megan Wrote:  
(22-09-2013 07:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  Choosing one answer gives a very slanted picture.

I certainly hope you are not going to cherry pick this and give a slanted picture of what atheists in general think.

Facts are facts, but some of the questions, especially the last one, are personal opinion questions, and one person is not representative of all atheists.

( no offense, Bucky)

No offense taken! And my teacher and...well everyone at the school is very aware that everyone has a varying opinion about everything. It isn't a research paper on one specific worldview; he just wanted us to interview one non Christian and just get a look at other opinions out there Smile

Good. Just so you understand that everyone has their own view on everything. In many ways my views on religion are not the norm for atheists. Every theist and every atheist (I am an Igtheist BTW, not an "atheist" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism) has their own take on every subject. What their brain cells tell them they affirm or deny is individual in every case, (even if they *say* they "believe" in this or that). It's never "identical". There are "strong atheists", "weak atheists", agnostics, agnostic atheists, etc etc. I happen to think there is no difference between Agnosticism and Eastern Taoism and certain forms of Christian mysticism, (on a practical basis). We all have our own positions and opinions. They differ, more than they agree.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2013, 08:20 PM
you seem like a nice theist, hope you stick around, would be interesting to have more theists here. We have only a few and most of them are trolls, and KC doesn't count, he's a calvinist you know... sneaky creatures ¬¬

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
22-09-2013, 08:21 PM
No. I know leading questions for what they are.
I encourage you to start comparing Genesis 1 to Genesis 2.
Eventually, try visiting a museum of Natural History. Or even any cat, dog breeder or a farmer to build your own conclusions about how stuff happens to be how it is.

At some point, when you have read, and, more importantly, understood the Bible, do read Plato.
[+] 1 user Likes GaëlK7's post
22-09-2013, 08:31 PM
(22-09-2013 08:12 PM)Megan Wrote:  Because these questions seem to be causing a bit of confusion in their meaning, I will answer with what I believe. (I have what I need for the paper, but I am genuinely interested in this topic).

1) prime reality is God, revealed in scripture. Everything came from Him and he was before everything else.
2) external reality is the universe God created out of nothing.
3) humans are made in the image of God and possess His values. We are not evolved monkeys. We were made specifically to be the way we are.
4) death is either the gate to God or the gate to eternal separation (heaven and hell, basically)
5) because we are made in the image of God, we possess some of his characteristics, so we have the capacity to know things, which distinguishes us from other living organisms. (not to be confused with "we are exactly like God." no, we are not perfect and He is far, far greater. But we are similar...as in poor reflections of his perfect character).
6) ethics is transcendent and is based upon the character of God.
7) history is a meaningful sequence of events that lead to the will of God.
8) Christians seek the kingdom of God by enjoying him forever

I hope this cleared up an vagueness or confusion about the meaning of the questions!

1. There was no "before" space-time began. Space-time began at the Big Bang. There is nothing known about what dimensions exist outside this universe. "Before "spacetime" is meaningless.
3. If horses had gods, their gods would be horses.
4. You do know I hope there was no heaven or hell in the Old testament, and St. Paul thought there was immortality only for the "saved". No hell even then. Sheol was not hell. The Hebrews did not believe in immortality. "For dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return" etc.
5. Anthropology and Archaeology refutes that, completely. Take an Anthro course sometime. Human value systems did not come from the gods. Mountains of evidence for that.
7. opinion
8. Common mistake. In Theology "eternal" is not "forever". In Theology, "eternal" is "timeless". "Enjoying" need time, as well as an intact human sensory system, and brain. No evidence for that after death. If a god needs "time" (or anything) it's not a god.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
22-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Well, since he isn't an Atheist, you wanna use my answers instead?

[Image: new-meme-please_o_259668.jpg]

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
22-09-2013, 08:42 PM
(22-09-2013 07:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  Choosing one answer gives a very slanted picture.

I certainly hope you are not going to cherry pick this and give a slanted picture of what atheists in general think.

Facts are facts, but some of the questions, especially the last one, are personal opinion questions, and one person is not representative of all atheists.

( no offense, Bucky)

Of course she will slant it.....

The Out Crowd.
22-09-2013, 08:48 PM
C'mon guys, she was polite. She told us she was here to get some answers from Atheists so she could write a paper for school. Her OP made it clear she is a theist. Anyone who answered did so with that knowledge. No one was blind-sided here. We have plenty of jerk theists to fuss at and about.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
22-09-2013, 08:53 PM
yeah, trolls are far more obvious here, if she is one (which I doubt) she's a good one and she deserves to stay Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
22-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Megan, I appreciate your honesty here and apologize for any hostility that has been thrown your way. I hope the answers given help you out and I hope you stick around a bit. You have to understand, most theists that come here do so to antagonize and debate us. Debates are welcome, but most (theists) do so with no intention of honest or fair discussion, so you can understand where the immediate distrust stems from.

We're a good bunch, mostly just like you only with a different opinion on the existence of god. This is an atheist forum, and we hold these grounds as sacred and defend them as such. But an honest soul looking to expand their worldview and hold honest discussion is most welcome. Yes

So if you're interested, stick around and chat. There are many misconceptions about atheists that we'd love to dispel to a sympathetic ear. The problem on this forum is that 99.9% of the theists that join up here tend to personify the misconceptions that we hold against theists. The existence of god is a very important and personal debate and most times the discussion get out of hand before any useful give and take can be made. But anyone possessing the wherewithal to meet us at face value and respect the beautiful humans that we are will meet open arms.

If you're not interested, I understand. Just wanted to put that out there.

Welcome to the forum!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
22-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Wow, guys, thank you so much! I really don't mind any of the "hostile" comments thrown my way..I completely understand! I AM the black sheep that decided to join this forum in the first place Tongue and I especially appreciate all of the kind comments about me as well; they actually made me smile Smile

I just want to put it out there, I know there can be a large chasm between theists and atheists, but I don't believe that is necessary. I hate it when people (unfortunately, many people who profess to be Christians) pull the "holier than thou" thing. I am extremely against this. No one is better or 'holier' than anyone else. I know that we are all made in the image of God and we are all equal, all sinners. And I know for a FACT that I am a sinner... DEFINITELY no better than anyone, that's for sure!

Thank you so much for welcoming me to this community! I will say before anything else that I am very, very strong in my faith and will not be swayed. But I would REALLY love to stay on here and broaden my knowledge. I think it is a great way to grow as a person and as a Christian, and hopefully I can answer some questions or clear up any misconceptions about Christianity as you do the same. Please let me know if I offend anyone or hurt anyone; that is the last thing I ever want to do!

Thank you all again!
[+] 2 users Like Megan's post