Questions for martinb59

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
13-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Questions for martinb59
Feel free to re-ask all those he has ignored or failed to notice in the past, or new ones if you can think of any. My advice is, however, to only ask one at a time. We wouldn't like to overwhelm him, would we?

Here's mine:

A while ago, you have brought up the issue of the Smithsonian stating that the Bible could be regarded as a reliable document in historical terms, and that the peoples, places and events described in it really exist. I replied by saying that it was very likely; as the book had been written by Jews, it was only logical that they would mention peoples they came into contact with, either peacefully or violently, or places they lived in or traveled to, it is all part of their cultural heritage. That is what the Bible is, after all. A book recording the struggles, way of life, rules and superstitions of an ethnic group. Now here are my questions for you (I know I'm breaking my own rule of only asking one questions at a time, but they are all somehow interconnected and you can't ask one without asking the others too):

1. If god loves all his children equally, why did he have a chosen people?

2. Furthermore, if god created the entire universe, why did he only reveal himself to one people? Why did all other peoples existing at the time have no knowledge of or belief in Jahweh?

3. As I said, the Bible only mentions the peoples that the Hebrews come into contact with. But if god created all living human beings on the face of planet, why does the Bible say nothing of the Chinese? And why doesn't it say anything about distant and then unknown lands such as America? Or the Poles? Or the central/southern parts of Africa? Or Western Europe? Wouldn't it be logical for a god who is claimed to be universal, and inspires a holy book, to know and record all of his creation, not just a small part of it?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2010, 05:55 AM
RE: Questions for martinb59
I think I had a list of questions in the old bickering thread. I might dig them up later.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Martinb... Religious scholars have pointed out that there is evidence of polytheism in the Bible, or atleast in the earliest scriptures (Translations tried to get rid of it). That your god was the most high and that he was better than the other gods so the israelites worshiped yahweh above all others. That is why religious scholars think the first commandment came about too. So, why don't you go by what the authors of the Bible were really trying to say and worship multiple gods? Oh wait that's right Yahweh is most powerful.
Find all posts by this user
13-04-2010, 08:14 AM
(13-04-2010 05:55 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I think I had a list of questions in the old bickering thread. I might dig them up later.

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/show....php?tid=3

i think you mean this thread.

there are even more questions i´d like him to ask.

For example why he choose the middle east and not somewhere else in civilization.

Like i just said there are many many more and you can read some of them in this thread.

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
13-04-2010, 02:11 PM

(13-04-2010 07:27 AM)omega21 Wrote:  Martinb... Religious scholars have pointed out that there is evidence of polytheism in the Bible, or atleast in the earliest scriptures (Translations tried to get rid of it). That your god was the most high and that he was better than the other gods so the israelites worshiped yahweh above all others. That is why religious scholars think the first commandment came about too. So, why don't you go by what the authors of the Bible were really trying to say and worship multiple gods? Oh wait that's right Yahweh is most powerful.

Never heard that one before. The Bible uses the word "gods or god" all the time. But the Bible is clear and always has been that there is one God. Deuteronomy 6:4 4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one
Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2010, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2010 03:42 PM by omega21.)
Martinb59 look I had taken two religion classes here at my college. My professors said that in the earliest manuscripts, accoridng to scholary evidence, that there was polytheism in the Bible. Since it has been a year since I took the classes I cannot remember exactly where they were. On the other hand, since this is a small college I do see my religion teachers a couple times a week walking by. So I will ask them when I see them. You need to realize that through translations words were changed to make it more monotheistic. The original authors of the Bible did mention that there were multiple gods, and that Yahweh was most powerful. That Yahweh was more powerful, and stronger than the others. Religion scholars have said this, and my professors backed it up. Are you to say that scholars are wrong? This is not the only thing they refute. Another thing is that the idea of hell originated from Isiah. My student Bible even mentions this one. That the author of Isiah actually mentioned the pit. Which is where all the dead go. Translations made it hell which is where sinners go. There are hundreds of things that scholars have discovered. Student Bibles, the more advanced ones, give this kind of information. People have been known to drop the religion major due to the fact they were scared they would lose their faith. If your preacher majored in religion he may know this stuff too.

All in all, the point is current translations are wrong. If the actual words the original authors, whoever they were, was in today's Bibles then christianity would be totaly different. Christians would be polytheist, and think that all the dead go to the same place. Your turn now Martinb. Trust me bro I have more facts..... Also, I am taking a summer class. I will take another religion class just for fun, and to gain hours of course, just so I can help my side even more. If there are liberal arts college's where you live take a religion class there. I don't think it would be too much different.
18-04-2010, 10:48 AM

This is a good idea, the "Ask a religionistAngel" thread. I have a few questions for Martin, too, but I would like to ask them one at a time.

Question #1: God is omniscient and omnipotent. True or false?
18-04-2010, 12:37 PM

The way the passages are written does suggest that there were other gods, and Jahweh was at war with them.

The fact he makes the point of saying "I am the lord YOUR god", implies that there are others but he was THEIRS, so they should obey him. He could have said; "I am the lord god", by leaving out the YOUR part he would have stated he was the only one... but that was not the case according to the bible.
18-04-2010, 01:20 PM

(18-04-2010 10:48 AM)panflutejedi Wrote:  This is a good idea, the "Ask a religionistAngel" thread. I have a few questions for Martin, too, but I would like to ask them one at a time.

True
18-04-2010, 02:34 PM

(18-04-2010 01:20 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(18-04-2010 10:48 AM)panflutejedi Wrote:  This is a good idea, the "Ask a religionistAngel" thread. I have a few questions for Martin, too, but I would like to ask them one at a time.

True

OK, we have question #1 out of the way with a very unambiguous "true" answer.

So, moving right along to question #2:

Accepting that God is omniscient and omnipotent, why does he need religious apologists to make excuses for him? I mean, he's God, right?