Questions for martinb59

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
20-04-2010, 08:53 AM

RE: Questions for martinb59
Her name was "Athirat", or "Ashera" in Hebrew, goddess of fertility.

Here's an interesting link for everyone to read up on this:

http://www.evolutionofgod.net/q/yahweh
Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Yeah.. Yahweh likes them stacked.
20-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Nicely done supermanlives. Now martinb can finally see what we have been talking about pertaining to polytheism, and Yahweh. The article mentiones Baal and many other gods such as Yahweh's wife (as DrNekoDR mentioned) and El.

Do you see now Martinb? Modern day christians know very little if anything about the history of their religion and where it derives from. Above all, as to why the Bible should be regarded as ancient stories, that never happened. Besides the fact that the stories obviously never happened just by reading them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2010, 10:21 AM

(20-04-2010 09:04 AM)omega21 Wrote:  Nicely done supermanlives. Now martinb can finally see what we have been talking about pertaining to polytheism, and Yahweh. The article mentiones Baal and many other gods such as Yahweh's wife (as DrNekoDR mentioned) and El.

Do you see now Martinb? Modern day christians know very little if anything about the history of their religion and where it derives from. Above all, as to why the Bible should be regarded as ancient stories, that never happened. Besides the fact that the stories obviously never happened just by reading them.

Sorry not sure what your point is and once again an atheist that does not know what they are talking about, what a shock! Let's see, First the Bible didn't exist then, so how could they "earliest Bible believers worshiped." Second Baal is mentioned at least 6 times in the Bible, so not sure what you mean by they removed it. Third Canaan was devoted to the worship of Baal, but God condemned the worship of Baal. Baal worship was a powerful attraction to the people of Israel and eventually led to their destruction and exile. The Northern Kingdom of Israel wanted idolatry and the Lord gave them over to Assyria, the Southern Kingdom of Judah wanted idolatry and the Lord gave them over to Babylon. But then I am sure you knew all that.

It cracks me up how I get accused of quote mining when that is all any of you do. Did polytheism exist yes, Is the Bible saying it was right or it agrees with it NO! Don't comment on things you know nothing about, do your research first.
20-04-2010, 10:32 AM
(20-04-2010 08:53 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Her name was "Athirat", or "Ashera" in Hebrew, goddess of fertility.

Really now? Interesting. Quite a strong link to ancient mythology there... and to the cyberpunk movement*. Big Grin

martinb59 Wrote:First the Bible didn't exist then, so how could they "earliest Bible believers worshiped."

I think omega meant to say "early Israelites".

Quote:Did polytheism exist yes, Is the Bible saying it was right or it agrees with it NO!

But the existence of polytheism in the Bible is all that omega was trying to prove. The Bible itself claims that other gods existed, even though it only supports the worship of one of them.

*: Good book. Read it.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
20-04-2010, 10:34 AM

(20-04-2010 10:32 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(20-04-2010 08:53 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Her name was "Athirat", or "Ashera" in Hebrew, goddess of fertility.

Really now? Interesting. Quite a strong link to ancient mythology there... and to the cyberpunk movement*. Big Grin

martinb59 Wrote:First the Bible didn't exist then, so how could they "earliest Bible believers worshiped."

I think omega meant to say "early Israelites".

Quote:Did polytheism exist yes, Is the Bible saying it was right or it agrees with it NO!

But the existence of polytheism in the Bible is all that omega was trying to prove. The Bible itself claims that other gods existed, even though it only supports the worship of one of them.

*: Good book. Read it.

Exactly!

But that is not what omega said "Martinb why did you ignore my last post? Is it because you have no idea what to say to it. That you don't know how to refute the fact that, with my credible sources, I am right and you are wrong? The fact is that the earliest Bibles did have polytheism. Bascially, you have to believe in multiple gods." That I have to believe or that the Bible says you have to believe in multiple Gods is wrong. BTW Omega I am right and you are ignorant.
20-04-2010, 10:40 AM

The first 5 books of the bible already existed when the Babylonians conquered Israel they just hadn't been mixed and matched into the Torah. And the point is that there were other gods in the Israelite religion they were just frowned upon by the worshipers of yahweh and of course they blamed the practice for their downfall. When the cause of their downfall was an inferior army.

As the legends of the Israelites military might were just that .. legends with no basis in reality. You can claim to be "the big dog" but claims don't beat your opponents. In other words if the nation of Israel had been as powerful as they claimed to be they would still be worshiping those other gods.
20-04-2010, 10:41 AM
(20-04-2010 10:34 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  But that is not what omega said "Martinb why did you ignore my last post? Is it because you have no idea what to say to it. That you don't know how to refute the fact that, with my credible sources, I am right and you are wrong? The fact is that the earliest Bibles did have polytheism. Bascially, you have to believe in multiple gods." That I have to believe or that the Bible says you have to believe in multiple Gods is wrong. BTW Omega I am right and you are ignorant.

No, he's right. You yourself just agreed with him. If you take the Bible literally, you have to believe in multiple gods, as it specifically talks about them. Do you have to worship other gods? No, but that's not what he was saying. All he was saying is that, according to the Bible, other gods exist.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
20-04-2010, 10:44 AM

(20-04-2010 10:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(20-04-2010 10:34 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  But that is not what omega said "Martinb why did you ignore my last post? Is it because you have no idea what to say to it. That you don't know how to refute the fact that, with my credible sources, I am right and you are wrong? The fact is that the earliest Bibles did have polytheism. Bascially, you have to believe in multiple gods." That I have to believe or that the Bible says you have to believe in multiple Gods is wrong. BTW Omega I am right and you are ignorant.

No, he's right. You yourself just agreed with him. If you take the Bible literally, you have to believe in multiple gods, as it specifically talks about them. Do you have to worship other gods? No, but that's not what he was saying. All he was saying is that, according to the Bible, other gods exist.

I said before its quite clear that the bible states there are OTHER gods.. "I am the Lord YOUR God..." , meaning "There are other gods but I am YOURS, so you should worship me"
20-04-2010, 10:46 AM
(20-04-2010 10:44 AM)omega21 Wrote:  Thank you unbeliever.

I did mean to say early israelites. I was also trying to prove that there is polytheism, and I guess that point has finally been made.

Lets move on now Martinb. I am worn out on the disucssion of polytheism. I still don't why you don't ever respond to my topic about the gospels. Martinb please answer my question on why you believe the gospels when they were not historians, and I have mentioned why. Also, no historical document mentiones Jesus. I mean nothing besides the Bible ever mentiones his name.

Not exactly; this was brought up in martin's first thread here. Nahuel made a post on the subject which covered it very nicely.

Where did Nahuel go, anyway?