Questions for martinb59

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
20-04-2010, 10:47 AM

RE: Questions for martinb59
(20-04-2010 10:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(20-04-2010 10:34 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  But that is not what omega said "Martinb why did you ignore my last post? Is it because you have no idea what to say to it. That you don't know how to refute the fact that, with my credible sources, I am right and you are wrong? The fact is that the earliest Bibles did have polytheism. Bascially, you have to believe in multiple gods." That I have to believe or that the Bible says you have to believe in multiple Gods is wrong. BTW Omega I am right and you are ignorant.

No, he's right. You yourself just agreed with him. If you take the Bible literally, you have to believe in multiple gods, as it specifically talks about them. Do you have to worship other gods? No, but that's not what he was saying. All he was saying is that, according to the Bible, other gods exist.

Are you saying that I have to believe in other gods, or do I need to believe that people believed in false gods just like they do today? I don't need to believe in false gods and yes I believe that people believe in false gods. The point is the Bible does not condone the belief in multiple gods. End of story.
Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2010, 10:50 AM
(20-04-2010 10:47 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  Are you saying that I have to believe in other gods

If you take the Bible literally, yes, as you yourself admitted that it talks about other gods. But you seem to be applying a definition of "believe" that no one else is. We are saying "belief" as meaning "acknowledgment of existence". You appear to be extending it to mean "acknowledging and worshiping", which no one is trying to argue for.

Quote:or do I need to believe that people believed in false gods just like they do today?

No. Real gods. Other gods. Less powerful than Yahweh, according to the Bible, but gods all the same.

Quote:The point is the Bible does not condone the belief in multiple gods. End of story.

Now you're contradicting yourself. You already said that it did talk about other gods. It simply didn't condone worshiping other gods. Again, we appear to have differing definitions of "belief".

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:Are you saying that I have to believe in other gods, or do I need to believe that people believed in false gods just like they do today? I don't need to believe in false gods and yes I believe that people believe in false gods. The point is the Bible does not condone the belief in multiple gods. End of story.

It does not condone it.. but it does not deny the existance of other gods.
20-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Okay that's it Martinb I am tired of your personal attacks. That is like the third time you attacked me. I am used to it from a few people on campus, but you have joined their ranks of making me really angry. Calling me ignorant!!! I have a 3.2 GPA in college. Call me ignorant now. I am right! There is polytheism get over it. I sometimes make typos because between studying and baseball I am worn out. Do you know anything about college? I am sick of your personal attacks.

Now I get a turn...
You need to get a life. I mean your total goal seems to attack atheist. What do you do besides get on these threads and upset people?
20-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Ignorance is the state in which one lacks knowledge, is unaware of something or chooses to subjectively ignore information. This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same
(20-04-2010 10:50 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(20-04-2010 10:47 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  Are you saying that I have to believe in other gods

If you take the Bible literally, yes, as you yourself admitted that it talks about other gods. But you seem to be applying a definition of "believe" that no one else is. We are saying "belief" as meaning "acknowledgment of existence". You appear to be extending it to mean "acknowledging and worshiping", which no one is trying to argue for.

Quote:or do I need to believe that people believed in false gods just like they do today?

No. Real gods. Other gods. Less powerful than Yahweh, according to the Bible, but gods all the same.

Quote:The point is the Bible does not condone the belief in multiple gods. End of story.

Now you're contradicting yourself. You already said that it did talk about other gods. It simply didn't condone worshiping other gods. Again, we appear to have differing definitions of "belief".
The point is according to the Bible there is one God. People worshiped other gods just like they do today. There, by definition, can only be one God. Did polytheism exist? Yes, was it condoned? No. And again not sure what the point is.
20-04-2010, 11:47 AM

(20-04-2010 11:04 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  Ignorance is the state in which one lacks knowledge, is unaware of something or chooses to subjectively ignore information. This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same

So far his assesment has been correct. The bible talks of other gods and at no point does it say they did not exist, only that they should not be worshiped because they were not the gods of the Israely people.

The bible constantly speaks of other gods but never actually says they werent real... they were just other peoples gods and not as powerful. "Might makes right" mentality.
20-04-2010, 11:48 AM

(20-04-2010 10:50 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  
Quote:Are you saying that I have to believe in other gods, or do I need to believe that people believed in false gods just like they do today? I don't need to believe in false gods and yes I believe that people believe in false gods. The point is the Bible does not condone the belief in multiple gods. End of story.

it is not saying those other gods are true, it was stating what was going on at the time, and that was polytheism which was condemned.
20-04-2010, 11:52 AM

(20-04-2010 11:48 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(20-04-2010 10:50 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  

it is not saying those other gods are true, it was stating what was going on at the time, and that was polytheism which was condemned.

It is condeming the practice but at no point does it say there weren't other gods. yahweh speaks of them as if they existed and people were not to worship them because he was a "jealous god"... why would he be jealous of non existant gods?
20-04-2010, 11:54 AM

(20-04-2010 11:47 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  
(20-04-2010 11:04 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  Ignorance is the state in which one lacks knowledge, is unaware of something or chooses to subjectively ignore information. This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same

So far his assesment has been correct. The bible talks of other gods and at no point does it say they did not exist, only that they should not be worshiped because they were not the gods of the Israely people.

The bible constantly speaks of other gods but never actually says they werent real... they were just other peoples gods and not as powerful. "Might makes right" mentality.

The word God and god is confusing to some. Like I said earlier. whatever you worship is your god, could be a tree.
20-04-2010, 11:55 AM
(20-04-2010 11:04 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  The point is according to the Bible there is one God. People worshiped other gods just like they do today. There, by definition, can only be one God.

You're equivocating now. There is a difference between God and a god.

Quote:Did polytheism exist? Yes, was it condoned? No. And again not sure what the point is.

That you cannot deny the existence of other gods if you take the Bible literally. That is all.

(20-04-2010 11:48 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  it is not saying those other gods are true

"True" how?

Quote:it was stating what was going on at the time, and that was polytheism which was condemned.

Yet, according to the Bible, your god never denied the existence of other gods. The only thing he said was not to worship them. That's all that we're saying, martin, and you have agreed with it in previous posts. So what are you fighting against here?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner