Questions for martinb59

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
20-04-2010, 06:51 PM
RE: Questions for martinb59
Oh, yeah. I totally forgot. Happy birthday, martin!

[Image: emotivator.jpg]

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2010, 10:30 AM
My sources were reliable too, Martinb. I did not just look up a bunch of random crap. I know the difference between valid and non valid sources, as I learned about those as well in other classes. Like we are all saying you must admit that other god's exist to be a true fundamentalist, but dont worship them.
Most christians I know don't take the Bible literally. Also, they dont believe everything it has to say.
21-04-2010, 10:52 AM

A large number of deities were worshiped by the followers of the Canaanite religion (pre-Judaistic religion):

Anat, virgin goddess of war and strife, sister and putative mate of Ba'al Hadad
Athirat, "walker of the sea", Mother Goddess, wife of El (also known as Elat and after the Bronze Age as Asherah)
Athtart, better known by her Greek name Astarte, assists Anat in The Myth of Ba'al
Baalat or Baalit, the wife or female counterpart of Baal (also Belili)
Ba'al Hadad, storm god, perhaps superseded El as head of the Pantheon
Baal Hammon, god of fertility and renewer of all energies in the Phoenician colonies of the Western Mediterranean
Dagon, god of crop fertility and grain, father of Baal or Hadad
El Elyon (lit. God Most High) and El; also transliterated as Ilu
Eshmun, god, or as Baalat Asclepius, goddess, of healing
Kotharat, goddesses of marriage and pregnancy
Kothar wa Hasis, the skilled, god of craftsmanship
Lotan, serpent ally of Yam
Melqart, king of the city, the underworld and cycle of vegetation in Tyre
Molech or Moloch, putative god of fire[5]
Mot or Mawat, god of death (not worshiped or given offerings)
Nikkal-wa-Ib, goddess of orchards and fruit
Qadeshtu, lit. "Holy One", putative goddess of love, modernly thought to be a sacred prostitute, although there is no evidence of sacred prostitution in ancient Canaanite cities
Resheph, god of plague and of healing
Shalim and Shachar, twin gods of dawn and dusk
Shamayim, the god of the heavens
Shapash, also transliterated Shapshu, goddess of the sun; sometimes equated with the Mesopotamian sun god Shemesh[6] whose gender is disputed[7]
Yam-nahar or Yaw, also called Judge Nahar
Yarikh, god of the moon and husband of Nikkal
[/i]
Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2010, 10:54 AM
No Enki? Sad

Also, what's with the Courier New all of a sudden?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
21-04-2010, 10:59 AM

(21-04-2010 10:30 AM)omega21 Wrote:  My sources were reliable too, Martinb. I did not just look up a bunch of random crap. I know the difference between valid and non valid sources, as I learned about those as well in other classes. Like we are all saying you must admit that other god's exist to be a true fundamentalist, but dont worship them.
Most christians I know don't take the Bible literally. Also, they dont believe everything it has to say.

No I don't have to believe other gods exist to be a fundamentalist, not even sure where you even come up with that idea. The Bible mentions that people believed in non-existent gods, that is the point of those passages, to show people they were wrong.
21-04-2010, 11:02 AM
(21-04-2010 10:59 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  No I don't have to believe other gods exist to be a fundamentalist, not even sure where you even come up with that idea. The Bible mentions that people believed in non-existent gods, that is the point of those passages, to show people they were wrong.

Again, this is only made possible by really, really reaching.

21-04-2010, 11:04 AM

(21-04-2010 10:52 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  A large number of deities were worshiped by the followers of the Canaanite religion (pre-Judaistic religion):

Anat, virgin goddess of war and strife, sister and putative mate of Ba'al Hadad
Athirat, "walker of the sea", Mother Goddess, wife of El (also known as Elat and after the Bronze Age as Asherah)
Athtart, better known by her Greek name Astarte, assists Anat in The Myth of Ba'al
Baalat or Baalit, the wife or female counterpart of Baal (also Belili)
Ba'al Hadad, storm god, perhaps superseded El as head of the Pantheon
Baal Hammon, god of fertility and renewer of all energies in the Phoenician colonies of the Western Mediterranean
Dagon, god of crop fertility and grain, father of Baal or Hadad
El Elyon (lit. God Most High) and El; also transliterated as Ilu
Eshmun, god, or as Baalat Asclepius, goddess, of healing
Kotharat, goddesses of marriage and pregnancy
Kothar wa Hasis, the skilled, god of craftsmanship
Lotan, serpent ally of Yam
Melqart, king of the city, the underworld and cycle of vegetation in Tyre
Molech or Moloch, putative god of fire[5]
Mot or Mawat, god of death (not worshiped or given offerings)
Nikkal-wa-Ib, goddess of orchards and fruit
Qadeshtu, lit. "Holy One", putative goddess of love, modernly thought to be a sacred prostitute, although there is no evidence of sacred prostitution in ancient Canaanite cities
Resheph, god of plague and of healing
Shalim and Shachar, twin gods of dawn and dusk
Shamayim, the god of the heavens
Shapash, also transliterated Shapshu, goddess of the sun; sometimes equated with the Mesopotamian sun god Shemesh[6] whose gender is disputed[7]
Yam-nahar or Yaw, also called Judge Nahar
Yarikh, god of the moon and husband of Nikkal
[/i]

What are you trying to show with this? The Bible mentions a number of them. Again showing people that belief in a non-existent god was wrong, not those gods are real, you need to learn the difference between God and god. Also since you copied and pasted it, you probably didn't read it says at the "Canaanite religion pre-Judaistic religion"
(21-04-2010 11:02 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(21-04-2010 10:59 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  No I don't have to believe other gods exist to be a fundamentalist, not even sure where you even come up with that idea. The Bible mentions that people believed in non-existent gods, that is the point of those passages, to show people they were wrong.

Again, this is only made possible by really, really reaching.

Show me how that is reaching, that you don't understand does not make it reaching.
21-04-2010, 11:12 AM
(21-04-2010 11:04 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  Show me how that is reaching, that you don't understand does not make it reaching.

It's already been shown to you that Yahweh speaks of the other gods very commonly, and always in a way that implies - implies very heavily - that they exist, but should not be worshiped. Various other posters here have already posted the specific verses. You simply wave your hand and say "Ah, no, but what he really meant was that they weren't real gods".

ETA: Again, I'd like to emphasize that whether or not the Bible says that other gods exist does absolutely nothing to affect its credibility one way or another. It does not affect the majority of people on this site in the slightest. The only person that this really makes a difference to is you, martin.
And if other gods are talked about in the Bible, so what? What does that mean to you?

21-04-2010, 11:41 AM

(21-04-2010 11:12 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(21-04-2010 11:04 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  Show me how that is reaching, that you don't understand does not make it reaching.

It's already been shown to you that Yahweh speaks of the other gods very commonly, and always in a way that implies - implies very heavily - that they exist, but should not be worshiped. Various other posters here have already posted the specific verses. You simply wave your hand and say "Ah, no, but what he really meant was that they weren't real gods".

ETA: Again, I'd like to emphasize that whether or not the Bible says that other gods exist does absolutely nothing to affect its credibility one way or another. It does not affect the majority of people on this site in the slightest. The only person that this really makes a difference to is you, martin.
And if other gods are talked about in the Bible, so what? What does that mean to you?

It doesn't affect me at all, and it doesn't mean anything to me, substitute unicorn for god, that people believe in unicorns, pray to unicorns, worship unicorns, doesn't mean unicorns are real. And that God says "People stop wasting your time with unicorns, don't pray to them or worship them " doesn't mean they are real. Hopefully that clears it up.
(20-04-2010 06:51 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Oh, yeah. I totally forgot. Happy birthday, martin!

[Image: emotivator.jpg]

Thanks
21-04-2010, 11:47 AM
(21-04-2010 11:41 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  It doesn't affect me at all, and it doesn't mean anything to me, substitute unicorn for god, that people believe in unicorns, pray to unicorns, worship unicorns, doesn't mean unicorns are real. And that God says "People stop wasting your time with unicorns, don't pray to them or worship them " doesn't mean they are real. Hopefully that clears it up.

But it also does not mean that they aren't real, and the way it is phrased - see the quotes DrNekoDR supplied earlier - heavily implies that they do.