Questions for martinb59

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
22-04-2010, 03:34 PM
RE: Questions for martinb59
(22-04-2010 03:20 PM)omega21 Wrote:  True.I first learned about evolution when I was in elementary school, and yet I was a chrisitan until recently. Evolution does not really do much, but add the big bang theory then fundamentalist start getting angry.

"Start"?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2010, 04:41 PM

(22-04-2010 03:10 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-04-2010 03:08 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Yeah Evolution disaproves of God and creationism.

Meh. It disputes young-Earth creationism, certainly. But evolution being true does not mean that God does not exist. The two have very little to do with each other. It's only when certain religious sects decide that their god opposes evolution that the two get intertwined.

Anyway, today is earth day, and even though we don't agree on it's father, time and chance or a divine master plan, let's all come together and wish earth a happy day!!!!
Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2010, 04:44 PM
(22-04-2010 04:41 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(22-04-2010 03:08 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Yeah Evolution disaproves of God and creationism.

Meh. It disputes young-Earth creationism, certainly. But evolution being true does not mean that God does not exist. The two have very little to do with each other. It's only when certain religious sects decide that their god opposes evolution that the two get intertwined.

Anyway, today is earth day, and even though we don't agree on it's father, time and chance or a divine master plan, let's all come together and wish earth a happy day!!!!

It's Earth Day? I totally forgot. Finals... gah...

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
22-04-2010, 04:51 PM

(22-04-2010 04:44 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-04-2010 04:41 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

It's Earth Day? I totally forgot. Finals... gah...

I got earth a card and balloon! Also I am releasing no gasses, I farted under the sheets, pissed off the girlfriend, but it is earth day! You forgot, who's your daddy now earth?
22-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Let's hope Gaia doesn't decide to eat me.

22-04-2010, 04:58 PM

(22-04-2010 04:54 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Let's hope Gaia doesn't decide to eat me.

Unlike most on this site who are afraid to say they don't know something, but jump to the internet and look it up real quick to act like they are smart, (no offense Super) I don't know what or who that is.
22-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Gaia is from a rather strange variant of nature worship. A few nature-worshipers believe (or believed; I don't know if the cult still exists today) that the Earth is a conscious, living being. "Gaia" is their term for it.

EDIT: Often referenced in video games. Makes for a nice deus ex machina ending.

22-04-2010, 05:08 PM

(22-04-2010 05:02 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Gaia is from a rather strange variant of nature worship. A few nature-worshipers believe (or believed; I don't know if the cult still exists today) that the Earth is a conscious, living being. "Gaia" is their term for it.

Well then, I hope it or him or her doesn't! But if I pray, light a candle, plead, adjure, appeal, ask, beseech, brace, commune with, crave, cry for, entreat, implore, importune, invocate, invoke, petition, recite, request, say, solicit, sue, supplicate, urge to Gaia to eat you tonight and that doesn't happen, can I assume Gaia doesn't exist?
(22-04-2010 05:08 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(22-04-2010 05:02 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Gaia is from a rather strange variant of nature worship. A few nature-worshipers believe (or believed; I don't know if the cult still exists today) that the Earth is a conscious, living being. "Gaia" is their term for it.

EDIT: Often referenced in video games. Makes for a nice [i]deus ex machina

Well then, I hope it or him or her doesn't! But if I pray, light a candle, plead, adjure, appeal, ask, beseech, brace, commune with, crave, cry for, entreat, implore, importune, invocate, invoke, petition, recite, request, say, solicit, sue, supplicate, urge to Gaia to eat you tonight and that doesn't happen, can I assume Gaia doesn't exist?

I think we all can agree that the Latin phrase "deus ex machina" comes to English usage from Horace's Ars Poetica, where he instructs poets that they must never resort to a god from the machine to solve their plots. BTW it makes a horrible "deus ex machina ending" because it is generally considered to be a poor storytelling technique by critics because it undermines the story's internal logic, although it is sometimes employed deliberately for this reason. But Nietzsche argues that the deus ex machina creates a false sense of consolation that ought not to be sought in phenomena and this denigration of the plot device has prevailed in critical opinion. I know you will say that there is deus ex machina cannot be viewed in these simplified terms and you might argue that the device allows mortals to "probe" their relationship with the divine. But I would say deus ex machina serves to complicate the lives and attitudes of characters confronted by the deity whilst simultaneously bringing the drama home to its audience.

In conclusion a deus ex machina is generally undesirable in writing and often implies a lack of creativity on the part of the author. The reasons for this are that it does not pay due regard to the story's internal logic and is often so unlikely that it challenges suspension of disbelief, allowing the author to conclude the story with an unlikely, though perhaps more palatable, ending.
22-04-2010, 05:47 PM

Probably, yeah, as me not being eaten is exactly what you would expect if Gaia didn't exist.

Quote:In conclusion a deus ex machina is generally undesirable in writing and often implies a lack of creativity on the part of the author.

Video games need a suitably impressive final boss, though. Gaia fits this description rather neatly: the villain reveals at the end that they were plotting to steal Gaia's powers, and though they were defeated, Gaia is now awakened and it will destroy civilization yadda yadda yadda FIGHT!
Not particularly consistent, but hey, what do you expect from the early Final Fantasy games?

22-04-2010, 06:10 PM

(22-04-2010 05:47 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

Probably, yeah, as me not being eaten is exactly what you would expect if Gaia didn't exist.

Quote:In conclusion a deus ex machina is generally undesirable in writing and often implies a lack of creativity on the part of the author.

Video games need a suitably impressive final boss, though. Gaia fits this description rather neatly: the villain reveals at the end that they were plotting to steal Gaia's powers, and though they were defeated, Gaia is now awakened and it will destroy civilization yadda yadda yadda FIGHT!
Not particularly consistent, but hey, what do you expect from the early Final Fantasy games?

Maybe I can be be an atheist! I had no idea who Gaia was and I had no idea what "deus ex machina" was, and with 30 seconds of internet searching to prove to Unbeliever that it was not a "a nice deus ex machina ending." I came up with what I wrote, the internet and ignorance is a great thing! (sorry Super if it offends you).