Questions for martinb59

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
26-04-2010, 08:47 PM
RE: Questions for martinb59
Martinb just said something that a liberal christian would say. Fundamentalist would say that even when not married you are cheating on your future wife that God has set up for you. They really say that. It is like u can never lust until you are married which is impossible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Nonsense, it's possible; just unrealistically unlikely in its occurrence.
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2010, 08:41 PM

From post #179...

Quote:For example the idea that prayer doesn't work. They have no idea what prayer is, how it should be applied, what the purpose is etc, so instead of looking into it to find out what prayer is they say "Show me scientific proof" "Cut off a guys arm and pray to have it put back on" If prayer worked the way atheist believe, I would be married to Carmen Electra, living in a mansion, driving a Lamborghini, nobody would die, no one would get sick. Yet they will pray for those things and when they don't happen they say "See prayer doesn't work and God doesn't exist because Jesus says ask for anything in my name and it will be given to you"

Again, you are making an assumption. Remember, martin, I WAS a Christian before coming to my senses...

I remember praying that my grandfather would get better and not die...

I remember kissing him before I left for school...the day he died...the day that I realized that, if there were a god, he would have heard me and helped my grandfather...

Or when my wife prayed that the ultrasound of my second son was just 'in error' in determining that he would be born with a cleft lip. When he was born, guess what? He was born with a cleft lip.

These are examples of things that praying would not change...what about things that prayer could change?

Praying to god that the bullies at school wouldn't beat me up at school the next day...

Or praying to god that the world would finally come to peace (yeah, corny, but I'm sure that's on every theist's list of prayer items), only to find that more children died from starvation the next day...

The only time that 'prayer' ever worked for me is when I took matters in my own hands to 'make my wish come true'...which dismissed prayer entirely...if I was the reason for my prayer coming to realization, then what part did any god play? None.

So, before you assert that none of us understand prayer, or 'gods way' or anything, remember, a lot of us have been there and, through rationality and logic, are now here.
27-04-2010, 08:53 PM

(27-04-2010 08:41 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  From post #179...

Quote:For example the idea that prayer doesn't work. They have no idea what prayer is, how it should be applied, what the purpose is etc, so instead of looking into it to find out what prayer is they say "Show me scientific proof" "Cut off a guys arm and pray to have it put back on" If prayer worked the way atheist believe, I would be married to Carmen Electra, living in a mansion, driving a Lamborghini, nobody would die, no one would get sick. Yet they will pray for those things and when they don't happen they say "See prayer doesn't work and God doesn't exist because Jesus says ask for anything in my name and it will be given to you"

Again, you are making an assumption. Remember, martin, I WAS a Christian before coming to my senses...

I remember praying that my grandfather would get better and not die...

I remember kissing him before I left for school...the day he died...the day that I realized that, if there were a god, he would have heard me and helped my grandfather...

Or when my wife prayed that the ultrasound of my second son was just 'in error' in determining that he would be born with a cleft lip. When he was born, guess what? He was born with a cleft lip.

These are examples of things that praying would not change...what about things that prayer could change?

Praying to god that the bullies at school wouldn't beat me up at school the next day...

Or praying to god that the world would finally come to peace (yeah, corny, but I'm sure that's on every theist's list of prayer items), only to find that more children died from starvation the next day...

The only time that 'prayer' ever worked for me is when I took matters in my own hands to 'make my wish come true'...which dismissed prayer entirely...if I was the reason for my prayer coming to realization, then what part did any god play? None.

So, before you assert that none of us understand prayer, or 'gods way' or anything, remember, a lot of us have been there and, through rationality and logic, are now here.

Sorry for all those things that happened to you. Like I mentioned my mom died of a brain tumor, and I prayed for her too.

What is the difference between my response to an unanswered prayed and yours?
27-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Pretty good video about prayer here.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:Sorry for all those things that happened to you. Like I mentioned my mom died of a brain tumor, and I prayed for her too.

What is the difference between my response to an unanswered prayed and yours?

Not differences, but rather similarities...

None of them were answered. Why? Prayer doesn't work.

If you are righteous, and if I am righteous, then god should never have a problem answering our prayers. But, neither of our prayers were answered...because there is no god to answer them.

I really hate knocking down something that you may find comforting...but, the reality of it is that this world is a cruel, cruel world...we have one of two choices...

1. believe in something unbelievable to make life livable...
2. face reality, as it is, and find a way to make life livable.

I find that option #2 makes me a stronger person because I am not living with expectations that something unbelievable will save me from everything around me. I am the only one who can save myself from the world.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Questions and Thoughts. MrKrispy601 9 167 21-07-2014 09:39 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  I am availible to answer your questions Miss Meng 337 6,546 13-03-2014 12:15 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Would you respond to vague questions about Jesus? rampant.a.i. 46 797 11-03-2014 12:26 PM
Last Post: evenheathen
  Questions??? Drich 190 3,544 14-02-2014 03:22 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Questions That Led Me to Atheism #2 Dark Phoenix 135 2,426 10-02-2014 07:05 PM
Last Post: rampant.a.i.
  Only atheist questions and theist answers Mathilda 26 499 06-02-2014 07:38 PM
Last Post: toadaly
  Questions That Led Me to Atheism #1 Dark Phoenix 97 2,442 30-01-2014 12:08 AM
Last Post: Dark Phoenix