Questions for martinb59

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
18-04-2010, 04:20 PM

RE: Questions for martinb59
(18-04-2010 04:10 PM)panflutejedi Wrote:  Hello Unbeliever,

Am I on target, in suspecting that The Thinking Atheist keeps Martin on board for his entertainment value?

Quote:Not exactly. There aren't any moderators or administrators on this board, as far as I'm aware. If there were, that's what would be going on, but as there aren't, he's just around because no one can do anything about it.

OK, thank you for clearing that up.

He is very entertaining, though................Big Grin
(18-04-2010 04:16 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(18-04-2010 04:15 PM)panflutejedi Wrote:  
Quote:Sorry I call BULLSHIT on the 181. there is no way on the planet earth with your train of thought that you are that.

You have no idea............

Ok so prove me wrong!

With what? A notoriously-inaccurate, for-entertainment-purposes-only online IQ test?

You're hopeless, Martin.......entertaining, but hopelessBig Grin
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2010, 04:29 PM

"How can got get rid of murder?".... are you serious... I thought god could do anything..

Surely it would be no problem for him to remove the impulse to kill someone of your species from everyones brains and no one would be the wiser. Considering we know somewhat what goes on in someones brain when they consider killing a person.

It should be a simple matter for an omnipotent being.. but he allowed it in the first place so what would compel him to stop it now?. And that raises more questions that negate the character of god as portraid in the bible... no wait... it negates the god of the new testament... it goes right in hand with the god of the old testament...
18-04-2010, 04:44 PM

(18-04-2010 04:09 PM)omega21 Wrote:  My professors majored in religion when they were in college, and spent hours upon hours studying from their text books. The teachers must have valid credentials and be saying facts or they would be out of a job. The college also demands that all teachers here keep their religious and political beliefs to themselves. Facts and only facts are allowed. I know this to be true for my student Bible also backed the fact up that their is polytheism. So lets see what is up against you Martinb. My professors that studied for four years, and college professors are very intelligent people. I mean they are educating the future of society. My student Bible is agianst you, and it was written by experts as well. A student Bible is basically a Bible with footnotes on what religious scholars have to say. So inorder for me to be wrong my well educated teachers, and my student bible with schoalry footnotes must all be wrong. Also, if the religion department thought that Erhman was not a good person to study up on then they would not be letting us read his text books. All in all, I dont know why you think that my religion professors, student Bible, and text books should be questioned. Unlike the Bible my professors don't contradict themselves like 100 plus times.

Thank you Unbeliever in helping me out. It is appreciated.

Hello Omega,

I have always found the certitudes of religionists to be a reliable source of amusement. If we listen to Martin, he would have us believe he has discerned the "true spirit" of Christianity. However, when asked about the proper way to deal with heretics, St. Thomas Aquinas said they should be killed, and St. Augustine advocated for torturing them.

So, isn't it incredible, that Martin and his ilk have managed to extract the true nature of Christianity from the confusing mess that is the Bible, while two of the greatest biblical scholars in the history of Christendom failed?

What is really at work here (other than religious zeal) is a general and pervasive antipathy among religionists towards intellectualism and rational enquiry - towards those who dare to question. For, if this were not the case, Martin would have no problem with your college professors' findings, your textbooks or student Bible, or the conclusions of St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine. Regarding the last, the only reason Christians are not torturing and killing the unbelievers today, is because the doctrine's maintenance and practice has become untenable in our time.
18-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Bit of notice for you guys: I called martin a minute ago. There was a small amount of hate-filled shouting and swearing of vengeance and cursing of houses unto the seventh generation, but in between blood oaths we managed to have a (slightly) meaningful conversation.
Turns out martin' been having a little trouble with subscribed topics, wherein he doesn't get notifications for all our messages. The posts he misses are ones he doesn't see; when he clicks on the e-mail notification, it takes him to the latest post and nothing else.
So... uh... yeah.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2010, 04:51 PM

Didn't you know Panflutejedi... that god intended the TRUE meaning of his drivel to be understood after almost 2000 years of torturing and killing and suffering?

Apologists TODAY are the ones who have it right... DUH!
18-04-2010, 04:58 PM

(18-04-2010 04:48 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Bit of notice for you guys: I called martin a minute ago. There was a small amount of hate-filled shouting and swearing of vengeance and cursing of houses unto the seventh generation, but in between blood oaths we managed to have a (slightly) meaningful conversation.
Turns out martin' been having a little trouble with subscribed topics, wherein he doesn't get notifications for all our messages. The posts he misses are ones he doesn't see; when he clicks on the e-mail notification, it takes him to the latest post and nothing else.
So... uh... yeah.

So Martin's upset with us? O-kayyyy........soooo......why doesn't he just.....uhhh......forgive us?Big Grin
(18-04-2010 04:51 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  Didn't you know Panflutejedi... that god intended the TRUE meaning of his drivel to be understood after almost 2000 of torturing and killing and suffering?

Oh, is that what happened? I guess I never got the memo.........Big Grin
18-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Yes apologists are gods new chosen people.
18-04-2010, 05:14 PM

(18-04-2010 05:03 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  Yes apologists are gods new chosen people.

I'm guessing they will have a new set of stone tablets cached away somewhere?

Mel Brooks' "History of the World"

My personal favorite commandment is George Carlin's: "Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself".
18-04-2010, 09:24 PM

(18-04-2010 04:58 PM)panflutejedi Wrote:  
(18-04-2010 04:48 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Bit of notice for you guys: I called martin a minute ago. There was a small amount of hate-filled shouting and swearing of vengeance and cursing of houses unto the seventh generation, but in between blood oaths we managed to have a (slightly) meaningful conversation.
So... uh... yeah.

So Martin's upset with us? O-kayyyy........soooo......why doesn't he just.....uhhh......forgive us?Big Grin
(18-04-2010 04:51 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  Didn't you know Panflutejedi... that god intended the TRUE meaning of his drivel to be understood after almost 2000 of torturing and killing and suffering?

Oh, is that what happened? I guess I never got the memo.........Big Grin

First my conversation with unbeliever was nothing like he described,and I am sure he is kidding, if not he is delusianal, but then again he was playing call of duty while we talking. But what I did tell him was 181 would back down, like he did, so produce any evidence that you are mensa and 181, or Unbeliebver admit I was right about him.
(18-04-2010 04:44 PM)panflutejedi Wrote:  
(18-04-2010 04:09 PM)omega21 Wrote:  My professors majored in religion when they were in college, and spent hours upon hours studying from their text books. The teachers must have valid credentials and be saying facts or they would be out of a job. The college also demands that all teachers here keep their religious and political beliefs to themselves. Facts and only facts are allowed. I know this to be true for my student Bible also backed the fact up that their is polytheism. So lets see what is up against you Martinb. My professors that studied for four years, and college professors are very intelligent people. I mean they are educating the future of society. My student Bible is agianst you, and it was written by experts as well. A student Bible is basically a Bible with footnotes on what religious scholars have to say. So inorder for me to be wrong my well educated teachers, and my student bible with schoalry footnotes must all be wrong. Also, if the religion department thought that Erhman was not a good person to study up on then they would not be letting us read his text books. All in all, I dont know why you think that my religion professors, student Bible, and text books should be questioned. Unlike the Bible my professors don't contradict themselves like 100 plus times.

Thank you Unbeliever in helping me out. It is appreciated.

Hello Omega,

I have always found the certitudes of religionists to be a reliable source of amusement. If we listen to Martin, he would have us believe he has discerned the "true spirit" of Christianity. However, when asked about the proper way to deal with heretics, St. Thomas Aquinas said they should be killed, and St. Augustine advocated for torturing them.

So, isn't it incredible, that Martin and his ilk have managed to extract the true nature of Christianity from the confusing mess that is the Bible, while two of the greatest biblical scholars in the history of Christendom failed?

What is really at work here (other than religious zeal) is a general and pervasive antipathy among religionists towards intellectualism and rational enquiry - towards those who dare to question. For, if this were not the case, Martin would have no problem with your college professors' findings, your textbooks or student Bible, or the conclusions of St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine. Regarding the last, the only reason Christians are not torturing and killing the unbelievers today, is because the doctrine's maintenance and practice has become untenable in our time.

Sorry you claimed mensa 181 not me you, unless you can prove the claim you made, then you are nothing but a liar and cannot be trusted for anything. So back it up or back off big boy!
18-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:Sorry you claimed mensa 181 not me you, unless you can prove the claim you made, then you are nothing but a liar and cannot be trusted for anything. So back it up or back off big boy!

My, my - could it be that I have struck a nerve with the revelation (pun not intended) of my IQ?

I must have really gotten under your skin, to have been a primary topic of your phone conference with Unbeliever.

I am flattered.Wink

What if I don't "back off"? What are you going to do? Call me a liar? Oh wait - you just did that, and it had no effect on me.............Sleepy

Sticks and stones, Martin..............Big Grin

And yet, Martin, still you have failed to recognize when you have been defeated, that I am merely toying with you. In what way, you may wonder?

You asked for proof of my 181, and the proof is right under your nose, but alas! You have been unable to detect and decipher it.