Questions for the Christian believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2011, 09:56 AM
RE: Questions for the Christian believer
56. Why are there two creation stories in Genesis that are contradictory?

I believe Creationists say that Genesis 2 is written in pluperfect tense. This theory is actually quite strong and very reconcilable. My views holds to a non-chronological / non-literal interpretation and that it’s part of the cosmology.

57. Why would an infinite, almighty, etc. god demand worship from a being he himself created? This being, angel or human, is infinitely insignificant compared to god himself. Would any person wish to be worshipped by a bacterium? Would any person be offended if a bacterium doesn’t believe in him/her? And the difference between a person and a bacterium is indeed huge, but finite. The difference between god and a person is infinite.

But, humans don’t have infinite love towards that bacterium; God does. The fact that we are so insignificant, and He still has such a love for us is amazing.

58. How can one conduct a census under the reign of Quirinius when there is no citizenship? What is the use of returning to the place your ancestors came from, in a land that is permanently in a state of war? Is this Christmas story indeed credible?

He didn’t come into reign until after the birth of Jesus. I’ll have to check the history again, but I think he did a census around 6 AD. I believe censuses were done every so often (maybe ~10 years), which would be around the birth of Jesus.

59. In Matthew it is written that Jesus did not come to bring peace but a sword; in Luke it says that all those who reach for the sword will die by it. Where do these conflicting statements by Jesus come from?

I was going to type something, but then I found that Wikipedia (lol I know) actually had a good article on it (pay attention to the “Context” section)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/But_to_bring_a_sword

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Still going strong KC.
On this tempo you're the first who makes all the questions in a foreign language.

Thk's

Note: To send this message, no trees cut down,
although there are many electrons severely hindered.
All the bits are reused.

Future World

73 Jim .--. . .---- .-. . .- PE1REA
Email, put amsat dot org behind the call
27-12-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree with Jim. Unstoppable this guy.
27-12-2011, 03:20 PM
60. Were the writers of the gospels creationists or evolutionists?

It’s a little hard to explain this question. This is what I wrote to Doc Hoc in another thread:

No... creationism is theology; not science. Science should not be read into the creation account.

…Science is never mentioned by God because the people did not have the mental understanding and comprehensions that we do today. At that time, we had not reached the mental evolution in which God could explain how a cell evolves or why bacteria can hurt you. Instead, He focused on morality so that would continue to evolve and be passed in our DNA.

On a side note, this is the same reason God use common cosmology at the time to explain creation. It was something familiar with the people, and He was "speaking their language".

So, strictly in line with your question, they were creationists; but, not for the reasons today’s fundamental Christians are. They had no way of understanding science, so God chose to explain science to tell in a way they could understand.

61. Why isn’t it a problem for some Christians to label accounts that don’t please them, for example Jonah in the whale, as metaphors? And on what basis does one draw the distinction?

While the Reformation was overall good, it brought with it some unfortunate side effects. One of these is the liberal use “not to be taken literally” stances that some believers adopt. Now, I do use this in a few different situations; however, mine of are rooted in the context, writing style, and translation of the original text. The story of Jonah’s text suggests nothing of the such.

There are legitimate uses of the aforementioned excuse, but as a believer (or non-believer) I would question every one. Make sure the person who gives the answer has a reason for his answer because if someone doesn’t know the history of the original text, then they have no basis to believe anything other than literally.

62. How is it possible that a god who sees all asks Adam where he is (Genesis 3:9)? Also in this text: “And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know” (Genesis 18:20-21) indicates that the biblical god Yahweh needs first take a look to see what is going on.

The original Hebrew was saying that God physically couldn’t see Adam. Again, the creation account was written as cosmology in a style that was familiar to the people of that time. The “hiding” from God was meant to convey a separation – a wedge – that was now in between Adam and God.

For the Sodom and Gomorrah example let’s take a look at the verse and phrases in question:

I will go down now, and see if they have done entirely according to its outcry, which has come to Me; and if not, I will know.”

See – The Hebrew word that is used is raah. The definitions do not suggest a future tense of the word.
I will know – Again, the Hebrew word that is used is yada which means “know”. The words do not suggest a future tense but a present tense.

So, it should read, “I will go down now, and see they have done entirely according to its outcry, which has come to Me; and if not, I know.”

Removing the future tense from the English translation changes the meaning of the verse. Adding words to the verse to show present tense would remove the translation integrity of the verse.

29-12-2011, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2011 12:38 PM by kingschosen.)
63. And how unlikely is it that in one city, 50 righteous infants or children cannot be found who couldn’t be condemned for sodomy?

There is a difference between righteous and innocent. Infants and children are innocent (if they die I believe they are elect) because they cannot understand good and evil. Righteous and unrighteous understand good and evil, and that’s what he was sent to find.

64. A god that created billions of galaxies approaches Sarah to eat a pancake. Is this realistic or plain superstition?

Not sure what you’re talking about here.

65. The Gilgamesh epic is the oldest source describing a Great Flood. Why are the Hebrews not being accused of plagiary?

While I have read it and done a little research, I have not done enough to give an educated and complete answer. I will return to this question at a later date after I remedy this problem.

66. Why are many Christians unaware of the influences of Celtic and Germanic rituals and customs on their faith? The feasts and festivals are Celtic, and sainthood Germanic.

Because people actually believe Jesus was born December 25th. People are happy in ignorance, and don’t ask questions for themselves.

67. The Old Testament describes countless despicable things that the Jews did. Why are these laws no longer upheld as Jesus made it clear that he doesn’t repeal them but respects them (Matthew 5:17-19 and Luke 16:19)?

As I’ve said, those were for the Jews. Also, the law was a foundation for Christ’s teachings – a preparation.

68. Tens of millions of people have fallen victim to other persons/groups who used texts from the Bible for this purpose. Is Christianity a peaceful movement?

Corruption is everywhere. There are evils in the Christian movement; however, I believe that someone who is truly following Christ is part of a peaceful movement.

02-01-2012, 06:59 AM
There was a lack off time before I react, this because I had a car accident last Friday and be injured at my brain.
So I will be a little quit at the moment.
But, compliments KC.

All the bits are reused.

Future World

02-01-2012, 04:18 PM
KC, you make me nervous. Your conviction to your belief is cult-like. It's the kind where if you hear from your god, you will do whatever he says, regardless of how immoral it would be. You've already told us of your conversion, which happened not by your consent, but, and I quote, "became cemented by no choice of my own". And since you don't know his plan, anything goes. I hope I don't hear about you on CNN...

Either that, or you're really an atheist, and you're here to help other atheists on the forum to strengthen their debate techniques by pretending to be the most calm, well meaning, un-wavering Christian with the wackiest personal belief system ever, who will never back down, continuing to bend and massage your posts to fit the questions, just to see how far we'll all go. Because some of the stuff you say you believe is just, well, silly:
(24-12-2011 12:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well... is His morality so bad?
I really wish it was the latter. I could have a good laugh, say "thank's for playing" and breathe a sigh of relief then.
Not trying to be an a-hole, but I really am creeped out by your posts. Just sayin'...

"Religion is the binky of a teen-age humanity."
09-01-2012, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 09:01 AM by kingschosen.)
(29-12-2011 11:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  65. The Gilgamesh epic is the oldest source describing a Great Flood. Why are the Hebrews not being accused of plagiary?

While I have read it and done a little research, I have not done enough to give an educated and complete answer. I will return to this question at a later date after I remedy this problem.

From my research into this, it seems that while the Akkadians did develop a written language before the Hebrews, there is no evidence that their history comes before the Hebrews. It is very possible that they borrowed the oral traditions of the Hebrews and developed their own stories. This is, of course, assumption as no one can really know for sure.
(02-01-2012 04:18 PM)yosemitesam Wrote:  KC, you make me nervous. Your conviction to your belief is cult-like. It's the kind where if you hear from your god, you will do whatever he says, regardless of how immoral it would be. You've already told us of your conversion, which happened not by your consent, but, and I quote, "became cemented by no choice of my own". And since you don't know his plan, anything goes. I hope I don't hear about you on CNN...

Wow, that's pretty insulting, but okay.

Quote:Either that, or you're really an atheist, and you're here to help other atheists on the forum to strengthen their debate techniques by pretending to be the most calm, well meaning, un-wavering Christian with the wackiest personal belief system ever, who will never back down, continuing to bend and massage your posts to fit the questions, just to see how far we'll all go. Because some of the stuff you say you believe is just, well, silly:

Nice backhanded compliment. But really, is it really that hard to believe that a theist could challenge an atheist? And, my theology isn't bending... as I've incessantly stated, it's pretty firm and consistent.
69. Archaeologists have attempted to reconstruct biblical stories. After thorough investigation, it appears that many incidents never occurred, for example the exodus. Does this alter Christianity’s starting point?

I’ve read the story about the Hyksos (sp?). It seems fairly inconclusive and doesn’t explain everything that happened. They also say that Rameses II would have NEVER let the exodus happen because of how prideful he was. If the events of Exodus are true, then Rameses got completely owned by God... humiliated. There was nothing he could do and all his efforts were in vain. Because of his pride, and “god-king” stature, he could have easily erased this from Egyptian history.

70. The witnesses who described Jesus many decades later lived in a cultural climate where superstition featured prominently. Could this have influenced how they interpreted the traditions?

Depends. We live in a world were video games and movies are prominent. Do we let these affect our interpretations of real life? I just find it odd that people think the citizens of the day were too primitive to separate fantastic stories from real life simply because they lived 2000+ years ago.

71. “God created man in his image and likeness.” Our bodies show countless non-functional vestiges that are characteristic of an animal background. Piloerectile muscles (arrectores pilorum), vomeronasal organ, apocrine glands, appendix, etc. From these it has become clear that it is a widely-branching pedigree consisting of countless hominid forms. Was the resemblance ape-like?

Evolution. Also, the “Image of God” that was bestowed upon us isn’t a physical image. It’s a spiritual image.

72. What is the meaning of a blessing given to a marriage when the divorce rate among Christians is higher than among atheists? (Source: VS)

The corruption of sin and depraved nature of humanity.

09-01-2012, 09:57 AM
For question 71 you have a very different view than most of the Christians.
Darwin and his thinking are the devil himself in their view.
I'm surprised by that.

Are you also thinking about question 65?
Or are you meaning that the flood has really happen?

All the bits are reused.

Future World

09-01-2012, 10:00 AM
(09-01-2012 09:57 AM)Jim Wrote:  For question 71 you have a very different view than most of the Christians.
Darwin and his thinking are the devil himself in their view.
I'm surprised by that.

Are you also thinking about question 65?
Or are you meaning that the flood has really happen?

Yes. I'm saying a local flood happened.