Questions for the Christian believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 03:06 PM
RE: Questions for the Christian believer
(09-01-2012 02:24 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Now, now. I've already talked about that. The Levitical Code was for a reason.

Long time ago. Illness and the subscription fails. I read that you have problems to understand the meaning of one question. I try to improve this.

Regards,

Piet

Ps. All members the best wishes for 2012.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 03:37 PM
78. What would be the problem if one were to change NDEs (near-death experiences) to just-still-living experiences? And if all arguments that point to a natural cause of these occurrences become preferred?

Having a little trouble understanding this question as well. Are you asking about the “revelations’ that some people have during NDEs?

79. How was Moses able to describe his own death?

He didn’t write the whole book.

80. At several locations during archaeological excavations, inscriptions have been found that link Yahweh with a female counterpart Asherah. Why is this not seriously looked into, and the story remains limited to one-sided monotheism?

She is considered a pagan god just like all the others mentioned throughout the Bible. In Jeremiah 44, it is probable this is about her. It was common for the belief in YHWH to be intermingled with the beliefs in other gods because of the common polytheistic belief. Throughout the Bible this problem is constantly addressed.

81. In biology you see social structures built around a basic ethic of fairness. In several cases, you even find assisting of the weaker and sacrifice. Do the roots of our human morality not lie here?

See answer #77.

82. Religious movements are always at the forefront concerning matters of life and death (immortality) even as there is no concrete proof of the latter. Can they then be considered reliable discussion partners?

If you don’t subscribe to the belief of an afterlife, then no. If you do, then yes. I’m not really clear on the question.

83. In Psalm 82:1, “God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.” Who were these gods and what was their role during the meeting?

I’ve noticed that many, many atheists quote from the KJV (which is fairly flawed in modern English). Might I suggest using the New American Standard Version (NASB). This is the most accurate modern translation translated directly from the original text to English.

Anyway, the correctly translated verse is:

God takes His stand in His own congregation; He judges in the midst of the rulers.

The “rulers” here are the leaders of Israel; likewise, so is Israel as the congregation.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
09-01-2012, 03:55 PM
78. Wat is het probleem als BDE (bijna dood ervaring) wordt veranderd in net nog levend. En alle argumenten die duiden op een natuurlijke oorzaak van deze gebeurtenis voorrang krijgen?

I do not know.
I mean, how to make it clear to you in sophisticated English.

Note: To send this message, no trees cut down,
although there are many electrons severely hindered.
All the bits are reused.

Future World

73 Jim .--. . .---- .-. . .- PE1REA
Email, put amsat dot org behind the call
09-01-2012, 04:02 PM

(09-01-2012 03:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  [b]I’ve noticed that many, many atheists quote from the KJV (which is fairly flawed in modern English). Might I suggest using the New American Standard Version (NASB). This is the most accurate modern translation translated directly from the original text to English.

Dated march of 2011

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2011/March...anslation/

With more than 20 English translations of the Bible currently available, the King James Bible is still considered by many scholars to be the most influential and popular version.

According to historian David Barton, the King James Version, published in 1611, contains many terms used in everyday language.

For instance, it contains phrases such as "the skin of your teeth," "the blind leading the blind," and "the letter of the law."

To commemorate the 400th anniversary of the King James edition, Barton and other scholars have set up an exhibit on revisions of the Bible over the course of history.

Why many atheists quote from it? Well thats the book many of us cut our teeth on. I have a pal that works for one of the US's largest Christian broadcasting organizations (I'll let you FOCUS on who that might be). In his learning of my new desire to read the bible he insisted that the NKJV is the one they collectively agree is the one to read.

D
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 04:19 PM by kingschosen.)
@Jim & Piet
I'm getting to the end of the English questions. Everything after 90 is a jumbled mess. Do you have anyone who is translating the rest of them?
(09-01-2012 04:02 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 03:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  [b]I’ve noticed that many, many atheists quote from the KJV (which is fairly flawed in modern English). Might I suggest using the New American Standard Version (NASB). This is the most accurate modern translation translated directly from the original text to English.

Dated march of 2011

With more than 20 English translations of the Bible currently available, the King James Bible is still considered by many scholars to be the most influential and popular version.

According to historian David Barton, the King James Version, published in 1611, contains many terms used in everyday language.

For instance, it contains phrases such as "the skin of your teeth," "the blind leading the blind," and "the letter of the law."

To commemorate the 400th anniversary of the King James edition, Barton and other scholars have set up an exhibit on revisions of the Bible over the course of history.

Why many atheists quote from it? Well thats the book many of us cut our teeth on. I have a pal that works for one of the US's largest Christian broadcasting organizations (I'll let you FOCUS on who that might be). In his learning of my new desire to read the bible he insisted that the NKJV is the one they collectively agree is the one to read.

D

Well... sorry, but he's wrong. The NKJV is translated from KJV which was translated from the Vulgate which was translated from the original texts. One degree of separation is better than three.

09-01-2012, 04:20 PM
(09-01-2012 04:02 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Why many atheists quote from it? Well thats the book many of us cut our teeth on. I have a pal that works for one of the US's largest Christian broadcasting organizations (I'll let you FOCUS on who that might be). In his learning of my new desire to read the bible he insisted that the NKJV is the one they collectively agree is the one to read.

Also because at least NKJV is poetic. Lotsa boring bloodbaths etc but at least it has gems like
"Now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face"
"Love clanging cymbals etc"
"The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light"

All these boring modern translations have things like
"In the present we can see things as if they were in a mirror but when we die then we'll see clearly"

I'm making this up 'cos I can't be bothered to find an actual translation.

Old KJV is fun too Smile thees thous and therefores and concupiscence - a word of which I am still unsure of the meaning...
09-01-2012, 04:27 PM

(09-01-2012 04:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  @Jim & Piet
I'm getting to the end of the English questions. Everything after 90 is a jumbled mess. Do you have anyone who is translating the rest of them?

Dated march of 2011

D

Well... sorry, but he's wrong. The NKJV is translated from KJV which was translated from the Vulgate which was translated from the original texts. One degree of separation is better than three.

I appreciate your zeal and commitment to this stuff. But truth be told..not ONE translation is from an original surviving text. So its all questionable.

If memory serves we dont even have a 2nd or 3rd generation copy from the original manuscript.

D
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
(09-01-2012 03:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I’ve noticed that many, many atheists quote from the KJV (which is fairly flawed in modern English). Might I suggest using the New American Standard Version (NASB). This is the most accurate modern translation translated directly from the original text to English.

Anyway, the correctly translated verse is:

God takes His stand in His own congregation; He judges in the midst of the rulers.

The “rulers” here are the leaders of Israel; likewise, so is Israel as the congregation.

There is no "original text". We have copies of copies of copies .... with changes and errors, then translations.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
(09-01-2012 04:27 PM)Denicio Wrote:  

Dated march of 2011

D

I appreciate your zeal and commitment to this stuff. But truth be told..not ONE translation is from an original surviving text. So its all questionable.

If memory serves we dont even have a 2nd or 3rd generation copy from the original manuscript.

D

You're right, but I'm talking about the modern translations. It's not zeal; it's simple fact. NASB and YLT are the most accurate modern translations to the existing original texts. The KJV, NKJV, and DRA, while close, are not as accurate.

09-01-2012, 05:35 PM
We have some people who translate the last questions.
But the are also volunteer, so there is not much speed.
But if you look at the link, slowly the rest become translated. Sleepy

Note: To send this message, no trees cut down,
although there are many electrons severely hindered.
All the bits are reused.

Future World

73 Jim .--. . .---- .-. . .- PE1REA
Email, put amsat dot org behind the call