Questions for the Christian believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2012, 03:02 PM
RE: Questions for the Christian believer
Kingchosen: 74 and 78 are improved. Are you able to check the translation. Thank you!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2012, 07:19 PM
(28-01-2012 03:02 PM)Piet Wrote:  Kingchosen: 74 and 78 are improved. Are you able to check the translation. Thank you!!

I'll take a look at them... oh also, have the other questions been translated?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
30-01-2012, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 12:11 PM by kingschosen.)
74. In many communities “Keep the Sabbath” is proclaimed every Sunday. Isn't it hilarious that nobody ever complains about the fact that the Sabbath takes place on Saturday so nobody actually obeys?

The Sabbath actually begins on Friday. This was customary to Hebrew tradition. Because of calendar changes, the Sabbath has been shifted to Sunday. The Sabbath is a concept that was assigned a day. The actual day that it's observed is irrelevant as long as it's observed. It was just Hebrew tradition that it was assigned on a certain day.

78. Wouldn't it be better to change NDEs (near-death experiences) to BLEs (barely-living experiences), so that the emphasis is shifted from supernatural to natural causes of these experiences?

Well, since I believe that NDEs are a load of crap, I will have to agree with you.
Ahhh, I see that a bunch of new questions have been translated. I will get on these.

08-02-2012, 01:30 PM
91. Where in the Bible is hell mentioned? In Judaism the “Gehinnom” (Hebrew: גהנום, Greek: Gehenna, γέεννα) is recognised. The name is derived from the Valley of Hinnom, which together with another valley surrounds the Old City of Jerusalem. It is a precursor to Olam Ha-Ba (the world to come, cf. heaven) where one stays only temporarily (a maximum of 12 months) and where one’s soul is cleansed of sin. This involves a spiritual purification: The devil and physical pain and suffering also don’t occur in Judaism (Wikipedia). Evangelicals also speak only of Gehenna and thus refer only to the Jewish concept, not hell.

Hell isn’t mentioned in the Old Testament. Sheol is recognized as the “place of the dead”. However, there is a Hebrew concept of death and resurrection. The concept of Hell and an eternal place of torment is only expounded in the New Testament. According to the NT, non-elect go to Hell or Hades and await judgment. After judgment, they are cast into the Lake of Fire.

92. Why is there so much reverence for church forefathers when they were anti-Semitic (Luther) or callous murderers (Calvin)? You regularly hear that they were filled with the “Holy Spirit”. Did the “Holy Spirit” break free of god?

These men were still men. They did evil like anyone else just like other great men mentioned in the Bible. They are recognized because of the great strides made theologically; however, I wouldn’t say they are revered. They are simply recognized as great theological minds.

93. In Matthew 27:51-53, the corpses of saints rose from their graves. These living zombies were seen by many. Decades later, not a single eyewitness took the trouble to give this due consideration. Where did the zombies go? Did they die a second time?

We do not know what happened to them. The scripture doesn’t say. We can only assume that yes, they died again.

94. Lazarus was raised from the dead after a few days, an extraordinary event to which only one writer (John) gives any attention. Was this a conscious choice of the remaining writers or did they know nothing about it?

Again, we do not know why the other authors didn’t mention it. It could have been because they didn’t know, or that they were not inspired to do so.

95. Is attempting to reconcile the trinity with the Bible into a dogma a futile excercise? Where are the relevant passages saying that there are three in one, a father, a son and a holy ghost (for Catholics, are there more still)? Can one still rightly speak of monotheism?

1 John 5:5-7
5 Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 6 This is the One who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not [g]with the water only, but [h]with the water and [i]with the blood. It is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 7 For there are three that testify: 8 [j]the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are [k]in agreement.

Genesis 1:26
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [ak]sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

God reveals Himself in different ways. He is all three but is still one.

09-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Well, thk's for your hard work.
I hope someone else will try is too.

Note: To send this message, no trees cut down,
although there are many electrons severely hindered.
All the bits are reused.

Future World

73 Jim .--. . .---- .-. . .- PE1REA
Email, put amsat dot org behind the call
09-02-2012, 08:10 AM
(09-02-2012 05:58 AM)Jim Wrote:  Well, thk's for your hard work.
I hope someone else will try is too.

No problem.

I'm going to continue with the extra questions as well.

28-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Quote:No problem.

Are you still there KingChosen?
28-02-2012, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2012 02:01 PM by kingschosen.)
(28-02-2012 01:17 PM)Piet Wrote:  
Quote:No problem.

Are you still there KingChosen?

I am. I apologize. I haven't been able to answer anymore questions because the forum has been pretty busy. I will, though. I promise.
96. Wandering a little through the bible shows it to consist of traditions handed down from the Bronze Age. In proportion to the earth’s entire history, it’s a mere lick of paint at the top of the Eiffel Tower. An atheist looks at the whole picture from a distance and assesses the questions easily with certainty: For him/her it’s no more than gross superstition. These answers smoothly point towards mythology. Why are believers so hotly intent to beat matters straight with a crooked stick?

I’m not fully clear on the question, but I think I know what you’re asking. Bible literalist contests it because according to their theology, the Bible must remain literally inerrant. I believe that Genesis was based on the popular cosmology of the time and written in the same vein.

97. Research has shown that prayer has no effect at all on patients. It may even have a negative effect as a by-product. Would it not therefore be wise to abandon prayer?

As I’ve stated before in another question, prayer is not for God; it is for us. We are to pray to understand His plan. God has already predestined everything.

28-02-2012, 03:36 PM
98. Hebrews 6:4-6 states: “For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, if they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance;” Why do believers make such an effort to convince ex-believers when this passage makes it clear that it is pointless?

This explains it in great detail and offers different points of view as well.

08-03-2012, 11:34 AM
99. He was the channel between heaven and earth, between god and man. Descended from heaven, at his birth shepherds revered him and brought him fruit and firstlings of their herds. Later he ascended to heaven and the sun god set him upon a throne, his omnipotence having become divided. It was believed that someday he would return to raise the dead and to lead the world. This person was already known in Egypt three centuries BCE. This culture later spread rapidly to parts of Africa and Western Europe. We have this to thank for Christmas and Sundays. The cult also branched off into the Roman Empire, and was familiar with seven sacraments, including baptism, confirmation and communion. On Sunday the priest spoke holy words about bread and water. They believed in the soul’s immortality and the resurrection of flesh. Eventually this movement was prohibited by the Catholic emperors. There are notable parallels also with Asclepius, Heracles and Dionysus, and the aforesaid is the story of Mithras, not Jesus. Christians often insist on the independence of their stories, but where does this tale come from and why would an existing cult take over elements from an emerging religion, one that was even persecuted in its early stages? Is it not more likely that Christians simply borrowed stories that they knew already, including those where they only needed to change a name?

Correlation does not imply causation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation..._causation
Just because there are similarities does not mean that Christianity arose from these practices.

100. The greatest sinner or criminal can plead for mercy and forgiveness at the last moment and make it into heaven, for example the murderer on the cross. Thus Adolf Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot could get inside with the right timing. Yet the atheist who works hard his whole life for the benefit of others has no chance. Is your god a bit hypocritical and more absorbed in himself than with altruistic charity that doesn’t rest on faith?

Arminian – Yes. Although, there would have to be true repentance and acceptance of Christ. Likewise, any man that truly believes can be received in heaven.

Calvinist – No and yes. No) a deathbed confessional DOES NOT get you into heaven. Yes) a regeneration could happen on the deathbed. Moreover, that person is either elected for salvation or not.

101. The claim that Genesis must be seen as a metaphor still sounds far-fetched. Many Christians agree that evolution cannot be denied. Even the Catholic Church has confirmed it. This natural process where common descent plays a key role has meanwhile been proven. Even if the weight of evidence doesn’t convince some, there still remains an insurmountable problem. If the story of Adam and Eve is only symbolic, what then is left of Original Sin?

We are not damned for what Adam and Eve did. We are damned because that was the plan that God created. His covenant relationship was marred by the predestined sin of mankind. Adam was just the first to act on that sin. Our nature is what damns us; likewise, we are judged for our individual deeds – not another’s deeds.

Original Sin needs to be redefined. It is not a damnation that was passed down from Adam and Eve, but it was the first sin that stained the covenant that God made with humanity.