Questions for the Christian believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2011, 11:51 PM
RE: Questions for the Christian believer
15. Leprosy was not an unknown condition in the time of the Bible. There were even rituals performed by priests to cure the disease. In Leviticus 13-14 it is clearly proscribed what the priests need to do. The ritual requires two clean birds of which one is to be killed, and the other dipped in its blood together with some cedar wood, scarlet and hyssop. The living bird is then set free and the sick person sprinkled with the bloody mixture once daily for seven days. After a further seven days of isolation, washing and bathing, and shaving and cutting hair, the patient must take a lamb to the priest who will slaughter it for a trespass offering. The priest will daub some of the blood on the patient’s right earlobe, right thumb and right big toe.

“And the priest shall dip his right finger in the oil that is in his left hand, and shall sprinkle of the oil with his finger seven times before the LORD: And of the rest of the oil that is in his hand shall the priest put upon the tip of the right ear of him that is to be cleansed, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and upon the great toe of his right foot, upon the blood of the trespass offering: And the remnant of the oil that is in the priest's hand he shall pour upon the head of him that is to be cleansed: and the priest shall make an atonement for him before the LORD.”

What does Yahweh achieve with bird blood and blood on right thumbs and toes? Wouldn’t it have been easier to give a description of an effective cure instead of these primitive voodoo rituals?

It is my understanding that the instructions that are given to the Jews by God during that time where for the Jews only. The instructions where there so that the Jews would be separate from all others. Their rituals would stand alone as their religion. This is also the basis of purity laws. A blood sacrifice is needed to represent the God’s covenant with man and to atone for sin. Even though Christ’s sacrifice atoned for all sin, God commanded the Jews to make animal sacrifice for atonement so that they would be reminded of their covenant with God. There is no clear answer as to the “why didn’t God do it this way” questions because we aren’t God. It would the same thing if someone asked you why I chose to eat pizza tonight instead salad. You don’t know my reasons or my mind.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2011, 09:05 PM
16. Why does your god let Lot and his daughters live so that they can commit incest later? And what father would give his daughters to a sex-mad mob?

This is what I think:
Lot was not perfect and was sinful as any other person. Lot’s actions are not to be defended; however, he was chosen by God. There are many examples of God’s chosen committing heinous acts based on their sinful nature. But why does God allow this? God allows this type of sin and evil so it can serve as an example to all, and He shows His forgiveness and redeeming power through these examples as well (David, Samson, Noah, Abraham, etc). This evil happens as part of His plan and His will, which is greater than any person.

17. Why was Jesus not recognised by the Jews as their promised Messiah?

It’s answered here in great detail.

19-12-2011, 07:59 AM
@kingchosen: Calvinism and Arminism are two different points of view. What kind of believer are you? I read the replies and see scientific modernities but also traditional explanation. It looks like a mixture? Am I correct?
19-12-2011, 08:59 AM
(19-12-2011 07:59 AM)Piet Wrote:  @kingchosen: Calvinism and Arminism are two different points of view. What kind of believer are you? I read the replies and see scientific modernities but also traditional explanation. It looks like a mixture? Am I correct?

I am heavily Calvinistic, but I don't adhere to certain traditional beliefs.

19-12-2011, 09:17 AM
In Calvinism, how exactly does God choose who is saved and who is damned?
19-12-2011, 09:18 AM
(19-12-2011 08:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-12-2011 07:59 AM)Piet Wrote:  @kingchosen: Calvinism and Arminism are two different points of view. What kind of believer are you? I read the replies and see scientific modernities but also traditional explanation. It looks like a mixture? Am I correct?

So you're a Calvinist who thinks for himself using his free will?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-12-2011, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2011 09:36 AM by kingschosen.)
18. In 2 Kings 2:23-24, forty two children are dismembered by two she-bears because they mocked Elisha for being bald. Were they some kind of super bears?

The “children” were between the ages of 12 and 30. Hoodlums were well known in this area and traveled in packs of about 50. They were violent and a public menace; not to mention the area that Elisha was in was Baal territory. A violent group of young boys to adult men aggressively confronted a prophet of God while he was in hostile territory. Elisha cursed them and God sent two bears. They weren’t super bears (although it seems like it), but it’s a demonstration of how one cannot escape the wrath of God.

19. Why did your god interfere many times in human affairs in the Bible but did nothing during the Holocaust?

As I’ve said before, the OT is filled with hardships for the Jews. They are consistently conquered, enslaved, and slaughtered. This has been God’s plan for His chosen people throughout the ages. And, who’s to say that He didn’t do anything about the Holocaust? Allied Forces?

20. When you speak of an all-good god, how does this square with the god in Isaiah 45:7 who says that he creates evil?

I’m not sure where the common misconception came from that Christians believe God is all-good (good as we understand it). God is sovereign over all humanity. There are some things that happen that we would not call “good”; however, they exist for a purpose and a plan. God created all. This includes evil and sin. As I’ve stated, this is so the Son would have a purpose. Without sin, Jesus would be pointless.

21. The Bible is often pointed to as a source of morality. Why are war and slavery not forbidden?

For what I understand, human morality is relative and based on human empathy. Godly morality is for God alone and rests upon His laurels; not ours. Human morality is also based on society. During that time ruthless wars were common and slavery was legal. Relative morality for that society said that it was all right to own slaves but rules were expected to be followed.

Another point to consider is just because you’re not opposed to a law or a practice doesn’t mean you support it. I don’t oppose the law concerning abortion because 1) it’s already a law 2) it concerns civil rights and 3) government shouldn’t be based on religion or religious beliefs. However, I do oppose the act of abortion and believe it’s murder. I could never morally accept that it’s not killing; however, that morality is mine and mine alone and cannot be forced upon someone who doesn’t share the same morality.

This is the same with slavery and ruthless wars. They were acceptable during the time based on the relative morality; however, not being opposed to it doesn’t mean that one accepts its morality.

(19-12-2011 09:17 AM)Ben Wrote:  In Calvinism, how exactly does God choose who is saved and who is damned?

He chooses based on His own decision. Nothing a human can do can ever affect His decision.

(19-12-2011 09:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-12-2011 08:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

So you're a Calvinist who thinks for himself using his free will?

Oh Chas...

But no. Nothing I do is based on free will. God leads me to my answers.

19-12-2011, 09:39 AM
(19-12-2011 09:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  But no. Nothing I do is based on free will. God leads me to my answers.

What about thinking? Does God set your thoughts into place as well, or are you free to think whatever you like and only your behavior is deterministic?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-12-2011, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2011 11:36 AM by kingschosen.)
(19-12-2011 09:39 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-12-2011 09:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  But no. Nothing I do is based on free will. God leads me to my answers.

What about thinking? Does God set your thoughts into place as well, or are you free to think whatever you like and only your behavior is deterministic?

If God is truly omnipotent and omniscient, then yes. Yes, God sets my thoughts.

19-12-2011, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2011 02:51 PM by kingschosen.)
22. Can the bloodthirsty and vengeful god of the Old Testament be reconciled with the loving god that is preached about? A god who lets the children of wicked people be exterminated. Or who commits genocide (Midianites).

Child sacrifices were in fact quite popular. Isaac, the only son of Abraham had to be offered. What trauma does a child suffer? And many know the upsetting story of Jephthah. He promised Yahweh that he would offer the first person he met if the battle ended in his favour. The first one he met after the war was his only child, his young daughter. More child sacrifices can be found in Genesis 42:37; Joshua 6:26; 1 Kings 16:34; 2 Chronicles 17:31, 28:3, 23:10 and 20; Jeremiah 8:30-31; Psalms 106:37-38; Ezekiel 16:20-21; Leviticus 20:2.

God’s plan was to pave the way for the Messiah. Many things had to happen to ensure the purity of the Messianic line. After Jesus was born, the loving message of God could be fulfilled. But, that’s not to say that God changed. God, again, is sovereign and His wrath, love, grace, and justice are all a part of it.

The story of Isaac in the Bible is shown as an obedience and faith in God. The others are shown as examples. Japheth made an unnecessary promise instead of having faith that God would lead him to victory. God punished that lack of faith in a horrifying way; however, the future believers know the consequences of hasty swearing.

23. If the Bible is the word of god, why does it contain so many internal contradictions?

I always here this, but I never see examples. Many “contradictions” have been reconciled. Which are you referring to?

24. If there are so many religions the followers of which are completely convinced of their accuracy, how do you know so surely that your religion is the true one?

Faith alone. There is no other explanation.

25. If Adam and Eve only had three sons, where do we come from?

I believe that there were other homo sapiens (because of evolution), but Adam and Eve were the first that God implanted his image upon.

26. Is a religion that says faith is more important than using one’s reasoning abilities reliable?

I guess that really depends on the person. For me, yes.

27. Why is the number of atheists in prisons proportionally much smaller than you would expect based on demographics?

This isn’t a fair question and is horrible logic. This is like saying since sapphires are blue and so is the ocean, then obviously the ocean is made a sapphires.

28. When you ask an atheist if he will provide proof against the existence of the Bible’s god, will you then provide proof against Zeus, Odin, Ra, etc.?

What? No. That’s irrelevant to the conversation.
Edit: I say it's irrelevant because for me, I wouldn't ask an atheist that. Sorry, should have been clear.

29. Do we have to turn away from our families to be good Christians (Luke 14:26)? Isn’t this a recurring theme in many sects?

The Greek word “miseo” (μισεῖ) doesn’t mean “hate” as we understand it. It means a “separation”. So, what this is saying that in order for us to follow Christ we have to relying wholly on Christ and separate ourselves spiritually from even our family. We belong only to Christ, and we cannot belong to anyone else; including our family.

30. There are countless myths about people born of a virgin who do special things. Why is the myth about Jesus true but the rest not?

This is another “by faith” answer as there is not anything else that will suffice.