Questions for the Christian believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2011, 12:14 PM
RE: Questions for the Christian believer
(19-12-2011 12:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  27. Why is the number of atheists in prisons proportionally much smaller than you would expect based on demographics?

This isn’t a fair question and is horrible logic. This is like saying since sapphires are blue and so is the ocean, then obviously the ocean is made a sapphires.

No, it's bloody well not. This may be the single most illogical thing you have said.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2011, 12:23 PM
(19-12-2011 12:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  27. Why is the number of atheists in prisons proportionally much smaller than you would expect based on demographics?

This isn’t a fair question and is horrible logic. This is like saying since sapphires are blue and so is the ocean, then obviously the ocean is made a sapphires.

I think this is fair. Some people would say that atheists are better educated. More of them belong to the prosperous part of the U.S. And there is still a connection between welfare and criminal activities.
Find all posts by this user
19-12-2011, 12:31 PM
(19-12-2011 12:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  

No, it's bloody well not. This may be the single most illogical thing you have said.

How? Atheists make up one of the smallest portion of "religion". How is this in ANY way fair to base a prison rate on a belief system instead of the million other reasons someone would commit a crime.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-12-2011, 01:05 PM
(19-12-2011 12:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

How? Atheists make up one of the smallest portion of "religion". How is this in ANY way fair to base a prison rate on a belief system instead of the million other reasons someone would commit a crime.

OK, make that two illogical things.

First, you simile was just plain nonsense, a complete non sequitur.

Second, the fact that the proportion of atheists in the prison population is significantly lower than the general population calls into question the assertion that religion makes people more moral.
Perfectly sound logic.

19-12-2011, 01:27 PM
(19-12-2011 01:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Second, the fact that the proportion of atheists in the prison population is significantly lower than the general population calls into question the assertion that religion makes people more moral.
Perfectly sound logic.

Just because someone claims to be "Christian" doesn't mean they apply traditional values and morals to their lives. The Kardashians claim to be Christians for crying out loud. I just don't think you can draw a conclusion that because inmates claim a religion that morality and intelligence are in direct effect. Again, that's horrible logic.

What about their childhood? What about their psychological state of being? What about their social background? What about their living conditions? To draw a conclusion like that when the results could be based on multiple conclusions is skewing the facts.

19-12-2011, 01:36 PM
(19-12-2011 01:27 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Perfectly sound logic.

Just because someone claims to be "Christian" doesn't mean they apply traditional values and morals to their lives. The Kardashians claim to be Christians for crying out loud. I just don't think you can draw a conclusion that because inmates claim a religion that morality and intelligence are in direct effect. Again, that's horrible logic.

What about their childhood? What about their psychological state of being? What about their social background? What about their living conditions? To draw a conclusion like that when the results could be based on multiple conclusions is skewing the facts.

I didn't draw a conclusion. I said it calls into question an assertion by religionists - not just Christians.

19-12-2011, 02:43 PM
(19-12-2011 01:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-12-2011 12:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it's bloody well not. This may be the single most illogical thing you have said.

Perfectly sound logic.

I didn't draw a conclusion. I said it calls into question an assertion by religionists - not just Christians.

And, I'm addressing the the question's implications - which is flawed logic.

19-12-2011, 02:55 PM
(19-12-2011 02:43 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-12-2011 01:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-12-2011 12:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  How? Atheists make up one of the smallest portion of "religion". How is this in ANY way fair to base a prison rate on a belief system instead of the million other reasons someone would commit a crime.

Perfectly sound logic.

And, I'm addressing the the question's implications - which is flawed logic.

There is no flawed logic in the question.

19-12-2011, 02:59 PM
(19-12-2011 01:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  I didn't draw a conclusion. I said it calls into question an assertion by religionists - not just Christians.

You are right Chas! The question does not offend a Christian. But ask why there are so less atheists in prison. When I read some topics and also magazines. Some religious people ask themself: Can Atheists be moral? So you would aspect that I prison must be filled with atheists. When those people are right! But on the contrary they are a minority. Even when you look at demografic figures.
19-12-2011, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2011 03:17 PM by kingschosen.)
The question is

27. Why is the number of atheists in prisons proportionally much smaller than you would expect based on demographics?

So, the question is begged as to why there are less atheists in prison, applying the logic that atheism has some type of effect on people not being in prison.

This is flawed logic.
Also, religious beliefs are mercurial and not static like race or height. Someone could not identify with any type of religious belief, commit a crime, get thrown in prison, and then convert to a religion while in prison; thus further skewing the numbers.

In fact, there are a lot of conversions while in prison. We have the biggest prison in the United States here, and almost every church in the area has ministry teams that are completely dedicated to the prison ministry.