Questions for the Christian believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2011, 09:07 AM
RE: Questions for the Christian believer
(19-12-2011 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The question is

27. Why is the number of atheists in prisons proportionally much smaller than you would expect based on demographics?

So, the question is begged as to why there are less atheists in prison, applying the logic that atheism has some type of effect on people not being in prison.

This is flawed logic.
Also, religious beliefs are mercurial and not static like race or height. Someone could not identify with any type of religious belief, commit a crime, get thrown in prison, and then convert to a religion while in prison; thus further skewing the numbers.

In fact, there are a lot of conversions while in prison. We have the biggest prison in the United States here, and almost every church in the area has ministry teams that are completely dedicated to the prison ministry.

I appreciate your opinion. We disagree at some points. Shall we move to another question?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2011, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2011 09:18 AM by kingschosen.)
(20-12-2011 09:07 AM)Piet Wrote:  
(19-12-2011 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The question is

27. Why is the number of atheists in prisons proportionally much smaller than you would expect based on demographics?

So, the question is begged as to why there are less atheists in prison, applying the logic that atheism has some type of effect on people not being in prison.

This is flawed logic.
Also, religious beliefs are mercurial and not static like race or height. Someone could not identify with any type of religious belief, commit a crime, get thrown in prison, and then convert to a religion while in prison; thus further skewing the numbers.

In fact, there are a lot of conversions while in prison. We have the biggest prison in the United States here, and almost every church in the area has ministry teams that are completely dedicated to the prison ministry.

I appreciate your opinion. We disagree at some points. Shall we move to another question?

Of course Smile

I'm going to make it through them all... lol, just have to bear with me.
31. Is Christian belief founded on fear?

In my opinion, no. I believe the foundation is based in grace and love. It is by God’s grace and love that any of us are saved.

32. How reliable are the four gospels?

I believe in the infallibility of the Bible.

33. How is it possible to be happy in a heaven while your non-believing friends and family members must suffer forever in hell?

There will be no suffering in heaven. So, how this is accomplished, I don’t know. We may not have memory of loved ones on earth... this is, of course, speculation.

34. Why doesn’t everyone have the same opportunity to receive the gospels? Millions of people are born in places where one seldom or never hears of Jesus? And what happened with people who died before Jesus came?

See answer #13.

35. How can a benevolent god punish people just because they don’t believe in him?

See answer #9.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
20-12-2011, 10:38 AM
(20-12-2011 09:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  32. How reliable are the four gospels?

I believe in the infallibility of the Bible.

The easiest contradictions in the bible are seen in the four gospels. It has already pointed out by Seth on this site, but the resurrection story offers quite a variation between the four gospels.

Matthew: 1. It's at first light, 2. Visitors are Mary and Mary, 3. Earthquake as stone is rolled away in front of them, 4. Met by 1 man, 5. They go and tell everyone

Mark: 1. It's at first light, 2. Visitors are Mary and Mary and Salome, 3. Stone already rolled away, 4. Met by 1 angel, 5. They tell no one

Luke: 1. ?, 2. Visitors are Mary and Mary and Joanne and others, 3. Stone already rolled away, 4. Met by 2 men, 5. They told the "11" who told everyone else

John: 1. It's dark out, 2. Visited by Mary Magdelene alone, 3. Stone already rolled away, 4. Met by 2 angels AND Jesus, 5. She told Peter and another disciple, and they went straight home and told no one

It seems so clear to me that these are very different accounts. Even if you could put together one coherent narrative out of these 4 accounts, why would it be necessary to have 4 people tell the story just to figure out what happened? It seems like every disciple wanted to tell this important tale but none of them could remember it.

I'm pretty certain that if someone pointed out contradictions that questioned the infallibility of the Q'uran, you'd have no problem seeing them and agreeing with them. Your own bias will make you want to protect this idea that your own holy book is perfect.

But not all Christians believe this. You really can be a Christian and see the bible as metaphorical, a guide to living but not a literal account. I don't agree with that view either, but it certainly makes a lot more sense than your point of view, which I see as so obviously silly.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
20-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Hello everybody,

Just looking.
I'm also a member fom Piet's forum.
My english isn't that bad, but to write into a discussion.......

Note: To send this message, no trees cut down,
although there are many electrons severely hindered.
All the bits are reused.

Future World

73 Jim .--. . .---- .-. . .- PE1REA
Email, put amsat dot org behind the call
20-12-2011, 02:53 PM
(20-12-2011 09:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In my opinion, no. I believe the foundation is based in grace and love. It is by God’s grace and love that any of us are saved.

But surely that is just paraphrasing of "It's based on fear"?

If there is no fear of the alternative to salvation, then where does the need for salvation arise? Don't you fear that which you are saved from, that which god himself created?

(20-12-2011 09:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I believe in the infallibility of the Bible.

So, how would you reconcile the story of the global flood with the complete and utter absence of any evidence to suggest such an event ever took place?
20-12-2011, 02:55 PM
(20-12-2011 02:01 PM)Jim Wrote:  Hello everybody,

Just looking.
I'm also a member fom Piet's forum.
My english isn't that bad, but to write into a discussion.......

Hello Jim, nice to meet you here. Jim is my companion. Together we serve freethinker. And give some people a nice and warm place to stay.
[+] 1 user Likes Piet's post
20-12-2011, 03:02 PM
(17-12-2011 11:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It is my understanding that the instructions that are given to the Jews by God during that time where for the Jews only. The instructions where there so that the Jews would be separate from all others. Their rituals would stand alone as their religion. This is also the basis of purity laws. A blood sacrifice is needed to represent the God’s covenant with man and to atone for sin. Even though Christ’s sacrifice atoned for all sin, God commanded the Jews to make animal sacrifice for atonement so that they would be reminded of their covenant with God. There is no clear answer as to the “why didn’t God do it this way” questions because we aren’t God. It would the same thing if someone asked you why I chose to eat pizza tonight instead salad. You don’t know my reasons or my mind.

So you think it is perfectly reasonable for god to present the jews with a supposed cure for leprosy that simply does not work in any way, shape or form? Isn't that the mark of a malignant entity that simply toys with mortals for his amusement?
20-12-2011, 03:02 PM
(20-12-2011 02:55 PM)Piet Wrote:  

Just looking.
I'm also a member from Piet's forum.
My English isn't that bad, but to write into a discussion.......

Hello Jim, nice to meet you here. Jim is my companion. Together we serve freethinker. And give some people a nice and warm place to stay.
Thk's for the welkom Piet.
For the other members, I shall not upset you to talk in our native language with Piet. Angel

All the bits are reused.

Future World

20-12-2011, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2011 03:24 PM by Observer.)
(20-12-2011 03:02 PM)Jim Wrote:  
(20-12-2011 02:55 PM)Piet Wrote:  

Just looking.
I'm also a member from Piet's forum.
My English isn't that bad, but to write into a discussion.......
Thk's for the welkom Piet.
For the other members, I shall not upset you to talk in our native language with Piet. Angel
Dat zouden wij ten zeerste appreciëren kerels... Wink

(we'd appreciate that dudes...)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
20-12-2011, 03:09 PM
(20-12-2011 03:05 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Dat zouden wij ten zeerste appreciëren kerels... Wink
Ojee, geemigreerd, of gewoon lekker op een buitenlands forum?
Maar laten we niet het topic kapen.....

All the bits are reused.

Future World