Questions for the Masses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Questions for the Masses
I know there is that LARGE introduction thread and could find a lot of this info in there but I really am curious about the background (in a nutshell) on the following questions. I'd love to read your responses.

1) Did you grow up in a religious home?
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist?
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition?
c) How often did your family attend religious services?
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life?
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time?

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)?
a) what religion did you find?
b) Are you still in that faith?

If your faith has changed:
3) When did you start questioning the religion?
a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change?
b) How easy was believing for you? Did you notice a change as you got older?
c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community?
- If so, how many faiths did you actually practice? Care to share what they were?

4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Atheist, Unitarian Universalists, Humanist, etc.
a) If no longer attending, what are some reasons for not doing so?

-------------------

Kind of unrelated into world of woo territory:

I am currently studying massage therapy. I do believe it is a helpful, healthy way for most to destress and allow their body to heal by not being so aroused al the time - in other words, actual worry free rest and relaxation with a huge activation of the parasympathetic nervous system.

Now, there is a lot of "wack-a-doo" stuff believed by many in the world of massage therapy. At the same time, there is a clear lack of research in massage therapy as well. (who is funding this? Certainly not drug companies!)

How common are we to chalk something up to Woo when there could be actual benefits to certain practices that are just not being researched? I find myself questioning a LOT of what is claimed, yet, at the same time, there is antidotal evidence that certain modalities help certain conditions.

I am a big believer in the amaze-balls of western medicine, yet, in the same breath I think there's a lot of stuff we are just interfering in when the body has the ability to fight certain things (over use of antibiotics, less focus on healthy diet, focus on disease vs prevention).

I'd like to hear your thoughts. I haven't quite come to the conclusion on what my opinion is in regard to the balance of western/eastern and naturopathic medicine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes aquaquilter's post
17-12-2013, 10:03 AM
RE: Questions for the Masses
I'll respond fully when I have the time - for now, welcome to the forum, and hope to hear your answers to your questions.

As for woo, it all depends on what bullshit is being peddled. Do you offer discounts as you're still a student? I'm dirt poor and the local areas don't service women-folk at all.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
17-12-2013, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 11:49 AM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
1) Did you grow up in a religious home? No - Family was Catholic but I was never made to particpate in any religous stuff.
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist? - Lax is too strong a word.
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition? Catholic
c) How often did your family attend religious services? - Funerals etc.
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life? - No
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time? - The vast majority of people I grew up with were Xians but it was never really brought up unless you ate meat on Fridays during lent and then the Catholics went all squirrely.

The rest doesn't apply to me.

I prefer proven medicine over woo.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
17-12-2013, 10:56 AM
1) Did you grow up in a religious home? No
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist? Lax
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition? Congregational
c) How often did your family attend religious services? Most Sundays
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life? No
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time? Not sheltered at all

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)? I have always been atheist.

3) When did you start questioning the religion? Age 8, or before.
a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change? The stories always seemed ridiculous.
b) How easy was believing for you? Did you notice a change as you got older? Never believed.
c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community? LSD
- If so, how many faiths did you actually practice? Care to share what they were? Sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.

-------------------

Medicine need to be science- and evidence-based.

Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-12-2013, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 11:55 AM by War Horse.)
1) Did you grow up in a religious home? No
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist? lax
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition? Catholic
c) How often did your family attend religious services? Xmas, funerals , weddings
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life? No
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time? surrounded by all types, I just never cared.

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)? Family
a) what religion did you find? Catholic
b) Are you still in that faith? No

3) When did you start questioning the religion? As long as I can remember
a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change? N/A
b) How easy was believing for you? Did you notice a change as you got older? I was in catholic grade school for a few years untill they kicked me out for not taking it seriously.
c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community? No
- If so, how many faiths did you actually practice? Care to share what they were? I'd have to say also, Drugs,Sex and Rock and Roll. Um, and I still worship the Harley Gods. Big Grin (just kidding folks)

4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Atheist, Unitarian Universalists, Humanist, etc. This forum is the best I got so far.
a) If no longer attending, what are some reasons for not doing so? I'm still here..
17-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the forum.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

17-12-2013, 12:14 PM
1) Did you grow up in a religious home? no
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist? lax
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition? sleep in on sunday
c) How often did your family attend religious services?never
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life? no
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time? parents & siblings are atheist. some friends at public school were believers, they weirded me out when they talked about church

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)? parents were atheists
a) what religion did you find? none
b) Are you still in that faith? none

3) When did you start questioning the religion? I have always wondered since i was a kid how in the world religious people would believe those bible stories
a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change? yes- met believer husband
b) How easy was believing for you? didn't Did you notice a change as you got older? still never understood how people could believe crazy stories
c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community? i explored non-denom church with husband for a few months- it really creeped me out
- If so, how many faiths did you actually practice? Care to share what they were? non believer all the way

4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Atheist, Unitarian Universalists, Humanist, etc. TTA
a) If no longer attending, what are some reasons for not doing so? pastor saw me naked…..long story

-------------------

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
17-12-2013, 12:32 PM
1) Did you grow up in a religious home?
NO

a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist?
Lax

b) Care to share your particular religious tradition?
Catholic

c) How often did your family attend religious services?
maybe once a year on special occasions

d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life?
Never

e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time?
All believers, went to a high school run by nuns

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)?
yes

a) what religion did you find?
catholicism

b) Are you still in that faith?
nope

3) When did you start questioning the religion?
Don't remember, but filed the bible away after reading it n it's entirety at age 10

a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change?
read the bible

b) How easy was believing for you? Did you notice a change as you got older?
Just went along with grade school friends until I read the bible

c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community?
No
- If so, how many faiths did you actually practice? Care to share what they were? Haha, Sex, Drugs and Rock'n Roll, like Chas

4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Atheist, Unitarian Universalists, Humanist, etc.
nope

a) If no longer attending, what are some reasons for not doing so?
Not interested

Regarding massages: Love them, great way to de-compress. Better yet, a whole spa day. Makes me feel brand new and ready to go.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Do I have to go to Mass to answer these ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-12-2013, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 02:34 AM by Adrianime.)
Haha, these questions are easy for never believers. My answers in bold
1) Did you grow up in a religious home? No, religion and religious beliefs were never mentioned. My parents are not atheist btw.
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time? Surrounded by believers that were not pushy or adamant about it.
2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)? Born an atheist, and never was fooled into believing anything else.

I've thought about joining a unitarian universalist church, but wasn't really entirely sure what it was. I would like a community, but I get very anxious about things that "require" donations, and I strongly would prefer a place with a membership fee.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.