Questions for the Masses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 01:54 PM
RE: Questions for the Masses
1) Did you grow up in a religious home? Yes
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist? Pretty serious to moderate. We went to church every Sunday and were at the church and church events a lot.
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition? None really. Just your basic Southern Baptist stuff.
c) How often did your family attend religious services? All the time.
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life? Yes. Both my parents are strong Christians.
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time? I was pretty sheltered. I went to a Baptist HS, but it was kind of necessary because of the education system where I live. Public education is horrible.

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)? My specific flavor... yes. I've more or less completely rejected the flavor of Christianity that I grew up with.
a) what religion did you find? I'm still a Christian, but my views are very liberal. Specifically, I'm a Calvinist.
b) Are you still in that faith? Yes.

If your faith has changed: Yes it did. I rejected Christianity for a long time and had a full-out onslaught against it. It wasn't until after college that I accepted Christianity again.
3) When did you start questioning the religion? As long as I remember. I always questioned what I was taught about God and Christianity... even as a kid.
a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change? It just sort of happened. I guess the big thing was my dad getting terminally ill that caused me to start attacking Christianity.
b) How easy was believing for you? Did you notice a change as you got older? I never really "believed". I played along early in life. It never made sense to me, though... not until my regeneration after college. Even after my regeneration, I didn't want to accept what had happened. I fought it until I eventually couldn't fight it any longer. I was what I was.
c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community? Yep. I researched and dabbled in just about everything... Satanism included.
- If so, how many faiths did you actually practice? Care to share what they were? I've only actively practiced Calvinistic Christianity... but like I said, I've dabbled, researched, and tried to apply the entire gamut of religions to my life before.

4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Atheist, Unitarian Universalists, Humanist, etc. I did until recently.
a) If no longer attending, what are some reasons for not doing so? The hypocrisy of the Christian church.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. I haven't quite come to the conclusion on what my opinion is in regard to the balance of western/eastern and naturopathic medicine. Science is science. If something can be proved scientifically, then it should be considered a medicine.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2013, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 02:50 PM by morondog.)
1) Did you grow up in a religious home?
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist?
Moderate I guess. We didn't spend money on psychics so we can't have been fundamentalists.
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition?
Christian
c) How often did your family attend religious services?
Maybe twice a year, to scrub the dirt from our sin-blackened souls. Though parents have been going regularly for the past few years.
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life?
Yeah.
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time?
Pretty damn sheltered. Took me ages to figure out I was allowed not to believe in any religion precisely because I'd never met an unbeliever.

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)?
Sort of. Influenced by Christian background but went for it on my own.
a) what religion did you find?
Christianity
b) Are you still in that faith?
No Tongue

If your faith has changed:
3) When did you start questioning the religion?
Pretty much immediately I signed up. Yeah I'm a twit.
a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change?
Nope.
b) How easy was believing for you? Did you notice a change as you got older?
Difficult and yes, I stopped believing.
c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community?
Nope. Christee-land was a one-off.

4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Atheist, Unitarian Universalists, Humanist, etc.
No, joined the forum long after.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-12-2013, 02:55 PM
(17-12-2013 01:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Science is science. If something can be proved scientifically, then it should be considered a medicine.

I'd like to turn this around:

If something *can't* be proven to work by testing it via scientific methods then it should *not* be considered medicine.

Just a thought, not a juju-man myself...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-12-2013, 12:34 AM
(17-12-2013 09:52 AM)aquaquilter Wrote:  I know there is that LARGE introduction thread and could find a lot of this info in there but I really am curious about the background (in a nutshell) on the following questions. I'd love to read your responses.

1) Did you grow up in a religious home? No.
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist? Very lax
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition? Catholic.
c) How often did your family attend religious services? Very rarely.
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life? No.
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time? Not sure.

3) When did you start questioning the religion? Early to mid-teen years.
a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change? No.
b) How easy was believing for you? Did you notice a change as you got older? I don't remember ever believing strongly in Yaweh or Catholic doctrine.
c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community? No.
- If so, how many faiths did you actually practice? Care to share what they were?

4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Atheist, Unitarian Universalists, Humanist, etc. No.
a) If no longer attending, what are some reasons for not doing so?

-------------------
18-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Yay I'm the first fundie! <.<

I'll be back to answer your questions in a bit (When I'm at a real keyboard). Though I am actually a little surprised by how many lax Christian families everybody has come from. Mine was a little cray cray when I was growing up. My parents have stopped going to church altogether now though.
18-12-2013, 12:50 AM
(17-12-2013 09:52 AM)aquaquilter Wrote:  Kind of unrelated into world of woo territory:

I am currently studying massage therapy. I do believe it is a helpful, healthy way for most to destress and allow their body to heal by not being so aroused al the time - in other words, actual worry free rest and relaxation with a huge activation of the parasympathetic nervous system.

Now, there is a lot of "wack-a-doo" stuff believed by many in the world of massage therapy. At the same time, there is a clear lack of research in massage therapy as well. (who is funding this? Certainly not drug companies!)

How common are we to chalk something up to Woo when there could be actual benefits to certain practices that are just not being researched? I find myself questioning a LOT of what is claimed, yet, at the same time, there is antidotal evidence that certain modalities help certain conditions.

I am a big believer in the amaze-balls of western medicine, yet, in the same breath I think there's a lot of stuff we are just interfering in when the body has the ability to fight certain things (over use of antibiotics, less focus on healthy diet, focus on disease vs prevention).

I'd like to hear your thoughts. I haven't quite come to the conclusion on what my opinion is in regard to the balance of western/eastern and naturopathic medicine.
Any alternative therapy/treatment can be scientifically tested, and that determines if it's woo or not.

There are some in the rationalist world who are too quick to label anything unusual as woo, and they give us a slightly bad image, maybe.

Empirical study is really the only yardstick for this.
18-12-2013, 01:39 AM
1) Did you grow up in a religious home? Yes.
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist? Fundamentalist.
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition? Southern Baptist was my parents tradition. I have none.
c) How often did your family attend religious services? 2xWeek until I was ~12. Then a break, then sporadic at best.
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life? Yes.
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Very sheltered. Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time? Surrounded. I was the first atheist I ever knowingly met. Hi, me.

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)? I wouldn't call it 'my religion' per se. More like an unsuccessful indoctrination.
a) what religion did you find? None of the above.
b) Are you still in that faith? Yes, I am still in None of the Above.

3) When did you start questioning the religion? I must've been about 6 or 7. I was certainly agnostic by the time I was 10, and an atheist by 11 or 12.
a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change? No.
b) How easy was believing for you? Very difficult, obviously. Did you notice a change as you got older? Be more specific in your questioning.
c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community? No.
- If so, how many faiths did you actually practice? Care to share what they were? N/A

4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Atheist, Unitarian Universalists, Humanist, etc. No.
a) If no longer attending, what are some reasons for not doing so? N/A.

I elect to skip the essay portion of the exam for the time being, but for now....Placebo.

18-12-2013, 02:28 AM
1) Did you grow up in a religious home? Yes, from the time I was 5 until I was 16. My parents were pretty avid church-goers for a while, my dad would slack off randomly, but my mom was pretty firm in going until my parents decided to divorce when I was 16. After that, I took my siblings to church every Sunday until my sister came out as a lesbian and said she couldn't/wouldn't attend anymore. About a year after that I stopped going, too.
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist? Fundamentalist.
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition? Church of Christ.
c) How often did your family attend religious services? 3x a week. twice on Sunday and on Wednesday night.
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life? Yes. We often had family bible studies on top of our regular church attendance.
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time? I was home-schooled for four years and went to two private Christian schools (non-consecutively, my schooling story is weird). I was really sheltered and surrounded by believers all the time. I don't think I met anybody who said they didn't believe in God until my senior year of high school. If I met anyone before that, I don't remember them. I hardly knew that other religions were an option, let alone non-belief.

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)? I was raised in the Christian faith, but then I believed it for myself. So much so that I was the last one in my family to stop attending church services.
a) what religion did you find? Fundamentalist Christianity.
b) Are you still in that faith? definitely not.

3) When did you start questioning the religion? I had some questions throughout my life, but asked people within the church for answers rather than researching on my own, so I always got answers that confirmed that religion. I was in college before I really started researching for myself.
a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change? I took an Anthropology course. I struggled with the doctrine of being a submissive woman and eventual wife/mother (that is literally the last thing on earth I want to be) and I studied abroad in between my junior and senior year, met a lot of people and learned a lot about life outside of the southern US. My best friend in college was a big factor, too, though she doesn't know it. She really knows how to ask questions.
b) How easy was believing for you? Did you notice a change as you got older? when I was young, believing was easy. It was the only way of life presented to me so it made sense. As I got older, I shifted toward a less fundamental doctrine. and kept shifting until God was completely out of the picture.
c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community? only other more liberal denominations of Christianity. I researched other faith traditions, but they just served to continue to deconvert me.
- If so, how many faiths did you actually practice? Care to share what they were? I researched Catholicism, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Greek & Roman mythology, Mennonites, and others. I didn't practice any, just researched to help me understand what religion is really all about and where it came from.
4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Currently, just TTA. In college there was AAA (the atheists and agnostics alliance) but I wasn't quite there yet mentally to really become a part of that community.
a) If no longer attending, what are some reasons for not doing so? see above

as far as massage therapy, there's a lot to be said for relaxing and clearing the mind, I don't think it's all just woo.
20-12-2013, 08:46 PM
1) Did you grow up in a religious home? <b> Yes, attended strict baptist church and school </b>
a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist? <b> fundamentalist, bible thumping, infallible word of god literalists </b>
b) Care to share your particular religious tradition? <b> Independent Baptist </b>
c) How often did your family attend religious services? <b> 3 x's a week (2 x's on sunday and wednesday night) school: chapel 2x's a week </b>
d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life? <b> Yes, in fact the reason for illness was due to unidentified or unconfessed sin </b>
e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time? <b> Yeah, totally sheltered. Only people in my life were school and church - both of which were the same religion. We only visited family that shared the same religious "values" </b>

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)? <b> nooope </b>
a) what religion did you find?

3) When did you start questioning the religion? <b> 16? 17? </b>
a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change? <b> went to public school for the first time and started realizing other people weren't the heathens I've been taught all along that they were. They were nicer (and WAY less judgemental) than I was. </b>
b) How easy was believing for you? Did you notice a change as you got older? <b> I wanted to believe. I wanted to have the same "experiences" that others around me in my community were feeling. As I got older and realized that other people (seculars!!) were doing just fine without these experiences and (what?) were kinder people. </b>
c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community? <b> OOoooh yeah, I rebeled and studied Wicca. Then took a world religions class and just enjoyed it so much. I find I am more fascinated with the array of religions...the things they teach and how & what people believe. </b>
- If so, how many faiths did you actually practice? Care to share what they were? <b> Wicca and then switched to catholicism (soooo closed to paganism) then a lot of nothing... then to Unitarian Universalist</b>

4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Atheist, Unitarian Universalists, Humanist, etc. <b> Unitarian Universalist </b>
a) If no longer attending, what are some reasons for not doing so? <b> attended an awesome UU fellowship where we used to live.... moved and tried to get into the local UU fellowship but they were just a bunch of holier than thou hippies. Nothing like the first one we went frequented. So now I don't have a "group" seeing if I fit in here. </b>

-------------------
21-12-2013, 01:01 AM
1) Did you grow up in a religious home?

Yes.

a) Would you describe it as lax, moderate, fundamentalist?

Growing up it was more "fundamentalist", but it declined into "moderate" during my teenaged years and then "lax" as I became an adult.

b) Care to share your particular religious tradition?

Jehovah's witnesses.

c) How often did your family attend religious services?

Three times a week, plus a yearly "Memorial" of Christ's death, and 2 or 3 conventions each year.

d) Was the faith a regular part of home conversation/life?

It was the answer to every question; the solution to every problem. No decision was made without first being put through the God filter.

e) How "sheltered" were you in regards to this community? Were there non-believers in your day to day life or were you surrounded by believers ALL the time?

I had been taught that "anything not related to Jehovah's organization comes from Satan", so I was of the belief that all people believed in God; they just wanted to be "bad" for the sake of being bad. I had no idea that non-belief was even a thing until I was about 17. As a JW, we were taught that the outside world (anything "worldly") is to be avoided, so, I never got much exposure to outside views.

2) Did you find your religion on your own (not indoctrinated by family)?

I was indoctrinated since birth.

Nope. I'm an out-and-proud apostate.

3) When did you start questioning the religion?

When I was about 20. I didn't really start questioning MY religion, per se, but I began questioning other religious incarnations and eventually applied those same questions to my own faith.

a) Did a particular event or string of events trigger the change?

Just a buildup of reason and subsequent doubt.

b) How easy was believing for you? Did you notice a change as you got older?

Belief was all I ever knew, so it was as easy for me as it is for you to believe that the ice in your drink is cold. It just doesn't occur to you that it might not be cold. God was just an axiom. A part of life. Had I not been the rational, naturally skeptical individual that I am, who thinks outside of the box, I might still be a believer.

c) Did you dabble in other faith traditions as you were transitioning out of your "original" religious community?

Not in any specific faiths, no, but I transitioned to other states of belief. Meaning, I transitioned from a christian to a deist and then to merely "spiritual" and all that nonsense. Eventually, though, I realized there was no good reason to believe any of it, so I accepted that I'm an atheist.

4) Did/do you utilize a local community that shares your current beliefs? Atheist, Unitarian Universalists, Humanist, etc.

Of course. I could be ok on my own, but it always helps to have a few like-minded friends to fall back on when the religious (and their infuriating lack of reasoning) become overwhelming. It reminds me that there are sane people in this world.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user