Questions for you....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Questions for you....
Hi All,

A couple of questions for you all.
  • Prior to becoming an atheist, did you say “Bless you” to someone after a sneeze?
  • As an atheist, do you still say “Bless you?”
A few weeks ago, I made the decision to stop saying “bless you” but it feels weird and almost rude when I don’t.

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KingofKings's post
18-09-2017, 11:36 AM
RE: Questions for you....
(18-09-2017 11:28 AM)KingofKings Wrote:  Hi All,

• Prior to becoming an atheist, did you say “Bless you” to someone after a sneeze?
A few weeks ago, I made the decision to stop saying “bless you” but it feels weird and almost rude when I don’t.

Thoughts?

My mother had a book which detailed the origins of various English nursery rhymes.

I was maybe 5 or 6 and read about Ring a Ring o' Roses and the Black Death. And, as Mum explained, whence the origin of "Bless You!"

Since then, whenever someone sneezes, I'm prone to say, "Get the fuck away from me!"

Hobo

Which could likewise be considered almost rude.

Wink

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
18-09-2017, 11:43 AM
I've never been comfortable with "Bless you" -- so I use the German "Gesundheit" instead. My Dad once claimed that it means "Bless you", but he's wrong. It means "good health", or more accurately, just "health".
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
18-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Thoughts?

I have started to ignore sneezes especially at work since there is already a chorus of 'Bless Yous' from everyone else. If someone has a sneezing fit I may ask if they are okay.

Around home we will often say either 'dogs' or 'cat' indicating that the sneeze is a symptom of an allergy to one or the other. I'm still not sure why any response is needed at all other than habit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Thoughts?

When I was about eight years old it was explained to me that saying "bless you" when somebody sneezed was because they expelled demons when they sneezed and the demons would get back in their heads if you didn't bless them quickly. Never used the phrase again.

One guy attacked me because I didn't say it when he sneezed. His mistake. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
18-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Like it or not, it's considered to be polite in the western world. If you don't say it, people may think you're rude. If you're comfortable with that, then carry on.

I would never say "bless you" outside of a sneeze, but when there's a sneeze, I utter it without thinking and people thank me, probably also without thinking. It's really no big deal and it's not taken as a religious declaration if it's said immediately following a sneeze.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
18-09-2017, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2017 12:33 PM by Rockblossom.)
(18-09-2017 11:28 AM)KingofKings Wrote:  A few weeks ago, I made the decision to stop saying “bless you” but it feels weird and almost rude when I don’t.

Thoughts?

To me, it feels rude to deliberately draw attention to someone when they sneeze, cough, clear their throat, whatever. It is very rude, and very annoying, to keep "blessing" people when they are having a sneezing attack. My response is to hand them a tissue (if needed) and carry on with whatever I was doing without thinking they need a running commentary.

Added thought: This is one of a handful of "custom superstitions" that irritate me. Knock on wood. Bad things happen in threes. Cross your fingers. 13th falls on a Friday. But the one from my childhood that really ticks me off: Grabbing a pinch of salt off the table and throwing it over the (right?) shoulder to ward off bad luck. Do that at my house, and you get handed a vacuum cleaner. Mistake the sugar for salt, and you get to vacuum, then spray for ants. Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post
18-09-2017, 11:57 AM
I feel like if you say "Bless you" you should also flick water into their face. Just seems strangely appropriate ya know?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
18-09-2017, 11:58 AM
(18-09-2017 11:57 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 11:28 AM)KingofKings Wrote:  A few weeks ago, I made the decision to stop saying “bless you” but it feels weird and almost rude when I don’t.

Thoughts?

To me, it feels rude to deliberately draw attention to someone when they sneeze, cough, clear their throat, whatever. It is very rude, and very annoying, to keep "blessing" people when they are having a sneezing attack. My response is to hand them a tissue (if needed) and carry on with whatever I was doing without thinking they need a running commentary.

Running commentary! Laugh out load
18-09-2017, 12:22 PM
I don't say anything, I just don't have that kind of time.