Questions for you all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2016, 05:22 PM
RE: Questions for you all
(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  I am a religious studies major interested in the thoughts atheists have. If you can please answer one or more of the questions below. You would be greatly helping my research!

Lolz, ok. I'll do my best.
Quote:What does your faith mean for you at this moment of your journey in life?

Faith in what?

Quote:How would you describe your spiritual journey in terms of the “geography of life”?

I have no idea what this means. I'm not on any "spiritual journey"

Quote:In what sort of “terrain” were you born, e.g. in a nurturing garden or on rocky patch of ground or in a bright flowing river?

Again, you're going to have to explain what this means? Are you asking about my childhood? My birth? Are you asking about my parents? Financially?

Quote:Through what sort of geographic changes and spiritual weather did your journey continue?

Earthquakes? Rainy conditions? Seriously explain what you mean....are you quoting crap from a book none of us have read?

Quote:You might think here about the losses or suffering that have changed your life, or the moments of joy or insight that have colored your life in special ways.

I've had ups and downs like most people. So? Life experiences changes you. Makes some people weak leaning on imaginary things. I prefer real things.

Quote:How does your experience of religion play a part on this spiritual journey?

It led me firmly away from all things religious.

Quote:What has held you up or renewed your hope when life seemed most discouraging or hopeless?

The unconditional love of the people who know me best.

Quote:What makes life meaningful or worthwhile?

Many things, namely all the boys I'm surrounded by. Smile

Quote:Can you describe the beliefs that are most important in guiding your life?
What is it that you value most in life?

I believe most people are good. I find value in just about everything this life has to offer.

Quote:How would you describe your experience of the transcendent dimension of life?

I did drop acid a few times in my youth.

Quote:How do you sustain your energy on this spiritual journey?

I'm an atheist, you're asking these questions on an atheist forum. What do you think is wrong with this question?

Quote:What symbols or images or rituals are important to your life?
How do you pray? Has this changed for you over the years?

I'm an atheist, you're asking these questions on an atheist forum. What do you think is wrong with this question?

Quote:Do you spend time with the Scripture in prayer?

Quote:How do your family and friends fit in this spiritual journey?
Are there soul friends who share your spirituality on the journey?

Quote:How does the larger world fit into this spiritual journey?

Quote:Have you ever “prayed the news”?

What does this mean..again, I'm an atheist, you're asking these questions on an atheist forum. What do you think is wrong with this question?

Quote:How does religion fit into this spiritual journey?

Quote:What has religion provided for you?

Complete disbelief god(s) exist.

Quote:How has religion challenged you to grow and move ahead?
Has religion been a cause of struggle?

It caused me to remove my god glasses and seek real answers that actually make sense.

Quote:What wisdom have you acquired on this journey? Where are you still growing or struggling?

I'm very good without god(s).

Quote:How would you describe the ground of your hope?

I hold great hope most people will embrace humanism. I really believe it's the only way humanity will endure.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Go back to page 1. I don't think you were listening in class.

Wait... tell me you're not a student at Liberty University.
[+] 4 users Like Clockwork's post
20-03-2016, 05:26 PM
How bout no? I think you're asking the wrong people.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
20-03-2016, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2016 06:49 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  I am a religious studies major interested in the thoughts atheists have. If you can please answer one or more of the questions below. You would be greatly helping my research!

What does your faith mean for you at this moment of your journey in life?

I celebrate every day, that I've been freed from that sort of nonsensical superstitious garbage.
(I know more about the Bible, than you ever will, being a grad student in the Ancient Near Eastern languages and cultures).

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How would you describe your spiritual journey in terms of the “geography of life”?

I stand on the summit. The peak of European contemplative Christian mysticism, (John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud_of_Unknowing ,
Eastern Tao mysticism, and Agnostic Atheism are all, as practical matter, equivalent.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  In what sort of “terrain” were you born, e.g. in a nurturing garden or on rocky patch of ground or in a bright flowing river?

Liberal Catholicism, and High Church (intellectual) Anglicanism.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  Through what sort of geographic changes and spiritual weather did your journey continue?

Dumped it all. Loved the culture, music and art. The systematics and Theology of Christianity are nonsense and ignorant of its own roots.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  You might think here about the losses or suffering that have changed your life, or the moments of joy or insight that have colored your life in special ways.

Common to humanity. Religion is irrelevant.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How does your experience of religion play a part on this spiritual journey?

Was introduced to the very highest levels in the church. Buncha hypocrites. Figured that out in 6th Grade.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  What has held you up or renewed your hope when life seemed most discouraging or hopeless?

Family and friends. God is *absent*. (I work in a hospital). There is no god there.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  What makes life meaningful or worthwhile?

Tons of stuff. Don't ask such childish, simple-minded questions.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  Can you describe the beliefs that are most important in guiding your life?

Love (of family, SO, and many friends). Having exciting fun things to work on and study at work and school.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How would you describe your experience of the transcendent dimension of life?

Too complicated for you. Read Joseph Campbell, Paul Tillich, Thomas Merton, etc etc etc.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How do you sustain your energy on this spiritual journey?

I don't waste my time with nonsense.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  What symbols or images or rituals are important to your life?

Does surfing count ?

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How do you pray?

As little as possible. Meditation on the other hand, is another matter.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  Do you spend time with the Scripture in prayer?

I *pray* I get more "A"s in class. I can debunk any scripture passage you care to throw at me. Big Grin

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How do your family and friends fit in this spiritual journey?

My family is none of your business. My friends come from every belief system and culture there is. We laugh and have fun together.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  Have you ever “prayed the news”?

Fuck yes. I pray Trump will drop dead.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How does religion fit into this spiritual journey?
What has religion provided for you?

Insight into how fake and deluded some people can be.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How has religion challenged you to grow and move ahead?

Hell yes. Dropping it was one of the best, most liberating things I ever did.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How would you describe the ground of your hope?

Well it sure as hell is not about going to heaven. You do know I hope, that the Judeo-Christian roots DID NOT encompass either a heaven (or hell).
For your answer, Jebus-boy, read 1 Corinthians 13.

I have one question for you, (well two).
1. How many meals did you serve to the homeless this week, and how many suffering kids did you cheer up in a hospital this week, with games and reading to them ?
and
2. How is it you omitted any question about that sort of activity in your list of questions ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-03-2016, 05:40 PM
(20-03-2016 05:23 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Go back to page 1. I don't think you were listening in class.

Wait... tell me you're not a student at Liberty University.

Not likely. He/she can spell.
That rules out Biola also.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-03-2016, 05:44 PM

Hello! Big Grin

Okay, here goes. Smile

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  What does your faith mean for you at this moment of your journey in life?

I don't have a faith at this point in my pile. I am living my life as of this moment.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How would you describe your spiritual journey in terms of the “geography of life”?

Um.. I can't? Been living in the same city for my entire life. Other than a coouple of intersate trips... haven't moved much at all.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  In what sort of “terrain” were you born, e.g. in a nurturing garden or on rocky patch of ground or in a bright flowing river?

I was born in a Hospital.. which has since long been torn down and the land developed back into suburban housing...

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  Through what sort of geographic changes and spiritual weather did your journey continue?

Well... we've had a few years of flooding. Followed by a good seven years of relatively dry weather (Drought further out in the country) and now seem to be coming back into a rainy period...

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  You might think here about the losses or suffering that have changed your life, or the moments of joy or insight that have colored your life in special ways.

Um.. okay... *Thinks*

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How does your experience of religion play a part on this spiritual journey?

It doesn't?

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  What has held you up or renewed your hope when life seemed most discouraging or hopeless?

A basic 'F@ck it' attitude, I would guess... As in "Okay.. lets see if things can actually keep going down hill/getting worse..."

Eventually.. they didn't get any worse. "Oh.. this is the 'bottom'... good-o..."

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  What makes life meaningful or worthwhile?

Living it? The meeting of friends. The interaction of co-workers.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  Can you describe the beliefs that are most important in guiding your life?

Honesty.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How would you describe your experience of the transcendent dimension of life?

I wouldn't? Consider

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How do you sustain your energy on this spiritual journey?

I... don't? Consider

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  What symbols or images or rituals are important to your life?

Always putting the car keys and loose change on top of my computer tower when changing for bed. Is great for getting dressed/ready in the morning.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How do you pray? Has this changed for you over the years?

I don't

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  Do you spend time with the Scripture in prayer?

Nope.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How do your family and friends fit in this spiritual journey?

They've moved to another country?

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  Are there soul friends who share your spirituality on the journey?

Nope.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How does the larger world fit into this spiritual journey?

The world at large continues to be shown with always wonderous new things/discoveries and explorations from/by others.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  Have you ever “prayed the news”?

Nope.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How does religion fit into this spiritual journey?

It doesn't

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  What has religion provided for you?

Very little to actually saying nothing at all.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How has religion challenged you to grow and move ahead?

Wouldn't say it has changed me... Other than as something else to fill in some school time. After school it was looked at, evaluated and dismissed.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  Has religion been a cause of struggle?

No... other than the wishes of a parent who themselves was 'Going through a phase'...

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  What wisdom have you acquired on this journey? Where are you still growing or struggling?

Be honest first with your-self. Then learn how honest you can afford to be with others. Since others are not always honest with you in return.

(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  How would you describe the ground of your hope?

I'm not dead yet? I'm getting better. I think I might go for a walk...
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
20-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Oh FFS! Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-03-2016, 06:08 PM
It seems as though you just copy-pasted a class assignment.

But if you're really interested in how one atheist thinks, select one of those questions, and I'll answer it. We can go from there.
20-03-2016, 06:40 PM
(20-03-2016 04:30 PM)Sunnybear24 Wrote:  What does your faith mean for you at this moment of your journey in life?
I have no religious faith at all, and in retrospect I've never managed anything more substantial than pretending to follow along with the rituals of religion.

Quote:How would you describe your spiritual journey in terms of the “geography of life”?
I've realized that I don't actually need a "spiritual journey.

Quote:In what sort of “terrain” were you born, e.g. in a nurturing garden or on rocky patch of ground or in a bright flowing river?
No particular "terrain." My parents were not regular churchgoers, nor did they attempt to indoctrinate their children in religion. How does "blank sheet of paper" sound?

Quote:Through what sort of geographic changes and spiritual weather did your journey continue?
No particular changes. I dabbled in polytheism and several types of Buddhism before realizing I couldn't testify under oath that any of it was real, not even the bits I actually liked.

Quote:You might think here about the losses or suffering that have changed your life, or the moments of joy or insight that have colored your life in special ways.
I could think about those things, but they have nothing whatsoever to do with religion or the lack thereof.

Quote:How does your experience of religion play a part on this spiritual journey?
No part at all.

Quote:What has held you up or renewed your hope when life seemed most discouraging or hopeless?
The knowledge that I have been successful in past endeavours, and could deal with the current situation simply by doing what I always do: Face the problem head-on, do what needs to be done, and keep trying.

Quote:What makes life meaningful or worthwhile?
Full engagement in the here-and-now, doing things that are challenging and enjoyable. For Me that means studying and playing and listening to music; writing; having a day job that I really like; and many other things.

Quote:Can you describe the beliefs that are most important in guiding your life?
Face all fears, tell the truth, see the world as a place of beauty and vast potential.

Quote: What is it that you value most in life?
Music and learning new things are in a tie for first place.

Quote:How would you describe your experience of the transcendent dimension of life?
Probably just an illusion or a trick of the physical brain. Fleeting and subjective.

Quote:How do you sustain your energy on this spiritual journey?
Eat and sleep works fine for Me.

Quote:What symbols or images or rituals are important to your life?
I wear Thor's hammer Mjölnir and a silver ring on a thong around My neck, as a reminder of My Scandinavian ancestors and of My desire to face the world with honesty and courage. I'm also quite fond of dragons. Only ritual I have -- Which happens at most once or twice a year -- is to offer the first glass of any mead I brew to the Æsir and Vanir, more as a gesture of cultural Ásatrú rather than any actual belief in the Norse gods.

Quote:How do you pray? Has this changed for you over the years?
I don't think I've ever been able to develop sufficient belief to wholeheartedly pray to anyone or anything. I did spend nearly 10 years in a chanting-intensive Buddhist sect, and My only regret is that I didn't leave the group sooner.

Quote:Do you spend time with the Scripture in prayer?
I have never done so, even once, and I don't expect that to change.

Quote:How do your family and friends fit in this spiritual journey?
They don't.

Quote:Are there soul friends who share your spirituality on the journey?
No.

Quote:How does the larger world fit into this spiritual journey?
It does not.

Quote:Have you ever “prayed the news”?
No. I do not preach what I do not believe.

Quote:How does religion fit into this spiritual journey?
Primarily as a net detriment to civil society and as a curiosity of bygone times.

Quote:What has religion provided for you?
Wasted entirely too much time trying to make it work. Nothing of value.

Quote:How has religion challenged you to grow and move ahead?
It has not.

Quote:Has religion been a cause of struggle?
Mainly other people's religions intruding in the lives of non-believers and different-believers. After reaching a point of "enough is enough," I am now an anti-theist who supports total separation of church and state.

Quote:What wisdom have you acquired on this journey? Where are you still growing or struggling?
Question all tradition. Raise your voice.

Quote:How would you describe the ground of your hope?
"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin Majere in Dragons of Autumn Twilight.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2016, 07:46 PM

What does your faith mean for you at this moment of your journey in life?

How would you describe your spiritual journey in terms of the “geography of life”?

In what sort of “terrain” were you born, e.g. in a nurturing garden or on rocky patch of ground or in a bright flowing river?

Through what sort of geographic changes and spiritual weather did your journey continue?

You might think here about the losses or suffering that have changed your life, or the moments of joy or insight that have colored your life in special ways.

How does your experience of religion play a part on this spiritual journey?

What has held you up or renewed your hope when life seemed most discouraging or hopeless?

What makes life meaningful or worthwhile?

Can you describe the beliefs that are most important in guiding your life?

How would you describe your experience of the transcendent dimension of life?

How do you sustain your energy on this spiritual journey?

What symbols or images or rituals are important to your life?
How do you pray? Has this changed for you over the years?

Do you spend time with the Scripture in prayer?

How do your family and friends fit in this spiritual journey?

How does the larger world fit into this spiritual journey?

Have you ever “prayed the news”?

How does religion fit into this spiritual journey?
What has religion provided for you?

How has religion challenged you to grow and move ahead?
Has religion been a cause of struggle?

What wisdom have you acquired on this journey? Where are you still growing or struggling?

How would you describe the ground of your hope?

Consider mmmmmmm yes.

Well I was interviewed by a religious studies major at Saint Leo University student last year, you can find it here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid839798

I think she covered the majority of your questions.

Since you have made one post thus far, and probably will not return, I won't bother to individualize answers for you. Perhaps if you come back i can help you decipher these perplexing questions you seem to have. Help you I can Smartass

By the way, I also hold a degree in religious studies as well, and I am an ex-xtian, if that means anything to you. I know the myth and the lies from the inside-out, and have the education that allows me to completely eviscerate the three Fs of religion: Fiction, Fantasy, and Forgery. Come on back when you feel up to it...educating those who have questions is my forte. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post