Questions for you....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2017, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2017 01:00 PM by jennybee.)
RE: Questions for you....
Hi Welcome Smile I still say Bless you on occasion. It doesn't have any power and it's a social mannerism so I have no problems saying it. I don't add the God part though, just a simple bless you. Bless can mean so many things. I mean the whole thing saying that after you sneeze is a superstition anyway--(I think or would hope even xtians would get that). It's no different than knocking on wood (which we do because of a pagan belief that spirits lived in the trees). All that said, I can understand why you don't want to say "bless you." If you want to say something, how about "blessings" or in my case (since I'm a yoga practitioner), I often will say "Bliss you." Anyway, the bottom line is, you do you. Do whatever you feel comfortable with, life isn't about pleasing other people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
18-09-2017, 12:43 PM
(18-09-2017 11:57 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  But the one from my childhood that really ticks me off: Grabbing a pinch of salt off the table and throwing it over the (right?) shoulder to ward off bad luck.

Left (the sinister side); you are throwing the salt in the devil's face to blind him.

I don't acknowledge sneezes any more than I do coughs unless it was a particularly impressive sneeze that earns a "wow, nice one!". The "bless you" crap is a custom that deserves to die.

I kind of like Bucky's "hate you too" response.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
18-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Aw, bless your heart for asking Angel

Not coming from (or currently living in) an English speaking country, I have an array of other options to use Tongue I would say "bless you", too, though, because I think it's just polite and devoid of any religious meaning. I have a British friend who would sometimes say "bless you/your heart" (when I say something particularly... well, particularly me ;-)) and I find it kinda sweet, because it's just an expression and she doesn't mean it in a religious way.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
18-09-2017, 12:52 PM
(18-09-2017 11:28 AM)KingofKings Wrote:  
  • Prior to becoming an atheist, did you say “Bless you” to someone after a sneeze?
  • As an atheist, do you still say “Bless you?”

I never said "Bless you!" even before becoming an atheist.

Now I just say "Good one!"
Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
18-09-2017, 12:53 PM
I'm a bit more pragmatic...

I simply ask "get any on ya??"

Smile

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-09-2017, 12:57 PM
(18-09-2017 12:43 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 11:57 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  But the one from my childhood that really ticks me off: Grabbing a pinch of salt off the table and throwing it over the (right?) shoulder to ward off bad luck.

Left (the sinister side); you are throwing the salt in the devil's face to blind him.

I don't acknowledge sneezes any more than I do coughs unless it was a particularly impressive sneeze that earns a "wow, nice one!". The "bless you" crap is a custom that deserves to die.

I love those kind of folk-customs Smile I love coming across those kind of survivals from long ago, especially when you can explain it. Things like Easter eggs, mistletoe at Christmas... It's really cool that some of those traditions are thousands of years old.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Why is there no phrase to throw out to someone who gets the hiccups? Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post
18-09-2017, 01:05 PM
(18-09-2017 01:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Why is there no phrase to throw out to someone who gets the hiccups? Consider

Because they're not done.

If you wait around till they're done, there's no telling how much time you'd have wrapped up in it....

Tongue

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
18-09-2017, 01:14 PM
(18-09-2017 12:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 12:43 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Left (the sinister side); you are throwing the salt in the devil's face to blind him.

I love those kind of folk-customs Smile I love coming across those kind of survivals from long ago, especially when you can explain it. Things like Easter eggs, mistletoe at Christmas... It's really cool that some of those traditions are thousands of years old.

Good point.

If someone puts up a Christmas tree and exchanges presents or hides chocolate Easter eggs because they can justify that these holidays have become secularized, then I don't know why they wouldn't feel just as comfortable saying bless you on those same grounds that it's a secularized practice that is part of the local culture. It would be a different story if they choose not to say it because they just happen to think it's a strange practice to comment on sneezes.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
18-09-2017, 01:19 PM
In tomorrow's thread, we discuss the ethics of combing one's hair with a straight parting... Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post