Questions for you....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2017, 01:20 PM
RE: Questions for you....
(18-09-2017 01:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 12:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  I love those kind of folk-customs Smile I love coming across those kind of survivals from long ago, especially when you can explain it. Things like Easter eggs, mistletoe at Christmas... It's really cool that some of those traditions are thousands of years old.

Good point.

If someone puts up a Christmas tree and exchanges presents or hides chocolate Easter eggs because they can justify that these holidays have become secularized, then I don't know why they wouldn't feel just as comfortable saying bless you on those same grounds that it's a secularized practice that is part of the local culture. It would be a different story if they choose not to say it because they just happen to think it's a strange practice to comment on sneezes.

I agree, I celebrate Xmas and Easter and Halloween and St. Valentine's Day and St. Pat's.... Holidays are what you want them to be. Even when I was xtian, none of the xtians I knew had the exact same celebrations/traditions at every holiday. One of my friend's traditions involved travel, one involved going into the city for a nice dinner out somewhere and to see the Nutcracker. At my house, we had a neighbor dress up like Santa and hand out gifts, and prior to that a huge extended family dinner.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-09-2017, 01:24 PM
(18-09-2017 01:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  In tomorrow's thread, we discuss the ethics of combing one's hair with a straight parting... Tongue

Awww, my bird was just standing on my head, combing my hair with his beak. He might have some valuable input into that discussion.

Oh, and the bird responds to sneezes by also sneezing. Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
18-09-2017, 02:31 PM
(18-09-2017 01:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  In tomorrow's thread, we discuss the ethics of combing one's hair with a straight parting... Tongue

Fore/aft or port/ starboard???

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-09-2017, 02:46 PM
As I've said before, my sisters started this (when they all lived at home). They would purposely exaggerate their sneezes and go "Ahhhhhh haaaaay chooooo". In response one of the others from somewhere else in the house would reply (yell) "I hate you too", (in a pleasant voice). So I started that at the hospital I work at, and now many people do it. I recommend it. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-09-2017, 02:58 PM
I've never said "bless you". My parents didn't say it, and I went to school and heard people saying it, and I didn't understand why they did, so I just ignored it. Also, I hate it when people say "bless you" to me. I don't want unnecessary attention to be drawn to the fact that I sneezed. O.o
[+] 1 user Likes AnaBunny's post
18-09-2017, 04:14 PM
(18-09-2017 01:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Why is there no phrase to throw out to someone who gets the hiccups? Consider

Because you'd have to say it over and over again.
Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
18-09-2017, 05:51 PM
(18-09-2017 11:28 AM)KingofKings Wrote:  Hi All,

A couple of questions for you all.
  • Prior to becoming an atheist, did you say “Bless you” to someone after a sneeze?
  • As an atheist, do you still say “Bless you?”
A few weeks ago, I made the decision to stop saying “bless you” but it feels weird and almost rude when I don’t.

Thoughts?

> No and no. Consider
18-09-2017, 07:40 PM

• Prior to becoming an atheist, did you say “Bless you” to someone after a sneeze?
A few weeks ago, I made the decision to stop saying “bless you” but it feels weird and almost rude when I don’t.

Thoughts?

I've never said any of that. I have no answer to a sneeze other than "Do you want a tissue?"

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
18-09-2017, 10:21 PM
(18-09-2017 07:40 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

Thoughts?

I've never said any of that. I have no answer to a sneeze other than "Do you want a tissue?"

That's perfect Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-09-2017, 06:02 AM

Thoughts?

Why should you feel bad about not saying that? You can say, "Are you ok?" And it still expresses concern without the superstitious baggage. Yea sure, lots of people say it but I don't either because while many just take it as a politeness it does have superstitious roots.

It stems from a literal past where ignorant humans literally thought when you sneezed it was your soul trying to escape. Of course most would say they don't believe that anymore, but "bless you" even without that is still a religious thing for many even if not all. It is an unwritten form of communication between theists and a form of subconscious confirmation bias giving the person who says it a way of feeling good about themselves.

I don't say it either because I don't like the long term presumption it allows the deeply religious. If you don't want to say it, don't feel bad. That is not your thing. No you should not flip out if someone says that to someone else in your presence, but you don't have to say it to others, and if you don't want it said to you, offer them something they can say to you instead.

You can be polite and offer concern without saying that.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user