Questions for you....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2017, 02:37 PM
RE: Questions for you....
At work.

Must admit.... my sense of humor has my reply as "Curse you. To keep everything ballanced with the bessings."

It tends to get a chuckle. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
21-09-2017, 11:17 AM
(18-09-2017 11:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My mother had a book which detailed the origins of various English nursery rhymes.

I was maybe 5 or 6 and read about Ring a Ring o' Roses and the Black Death. And, as Mum explained, whence the origin of "Bless You!"

Since then, whenever someone sneezes, I'm prone to say, "Get the fuck away from me!"

Hobo

Which could likewise be considered almost rude.

Wink

And you believed it because your Mum explained. Smile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_a_Rin...es#Meaning
Seems to be a 20th century myth.

I'm agnostic on agnosticism
21-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Yes I do.
I don't find it ironic or hypocritical.
Religion has merged with culture in a million ways.
The days of the week are named for Greek Gods.
As are the planets.
There are a thousand instances.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 2 users Like BikerDude's post
25-09-2017, 03:12 PM
It really bugs me how much religion has infected our entire language. Almost all of our public holidays in the UK are on noteable religious dates and even our date system is determined by religion.

That's what happens when the religiously deluded have thousands of years head start on infecting and shaping society.

I try to avoid religious phrases as much as possible in day to day speech but it certainly isn't easy.
[+] 1 user Likes MarylinC's post
25-09-2017, 03:18 PM
(25-09-2017 03:12 PM)MarylinC Wrote:  It really bugs me how much religion has infected our entire language. Almost all of our public holidays in the UK are on noteable religious dates and even our date system is determined by religion.

That's what happens when the religiously deluded have thousands of years head start on infecting and shaping society.

I try to avoid religious phrases as much as possible in day to day speech but it certainly isn't easy.

Amen to that Smile

Get your own bleeding hymn book
[+] 5 users Like Thedemonbarber's post
25-09-2017, 05:29 PM
(25-09-2017 03:12 PM)MarylinC Wrote:  It really bugs me how much religion has infected our entire language. Almost all of our public holidays in the UK are on noteable religious dates and even our date system is determined by religion.

That's like saying people who wear mullets or spike mohawks bother you. You have to let something bug you before it can.

I'll 66.6 years old and I've always been godless. People who spout god vomit at me are just part of the craziness of this planet. I brush it off and go about my business.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
26-09-2017, 12:52 AM
(21-09-2017 11:36 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  The days of the week are named for Greek Gods.

A mixture of Roman and Germanic/Norse gods, actually. Tuesday is Tyr, Wednesday is Oðinn, Thursday is Thor, Friday is Frigga, Saturday is Saturn.

It's not even consistent across languages, either -- In French you get "mardi" (Tuesday) for Mars, "mercredi" (Wednesday) for Mercury, and "dimanche" (Sunday) is a mashup of the Latin phrase for "day of the Lord."

And in Icelandic, Saturday is laugardagur," or "washing day." Blink

Bottom line is that it looks very much like bits and pieces of mythology and regional traditions got stuck together rather un-systematically over multiple generations.

Quote:As are the planets.

Mostly the Roman counterparts of the Greek gods, but Uranus is indeed Greek. Makes one wonder if the people naming the planet went "Caelus? Never heard of 'im. At least if we call it Uranus there'll be a lot of schoolboys giggling and snickering."

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
26-09-2017, 01:13 AM
(26-09-2017 12:52 AM)Astreja Wrote:  Mostly the Roman counterparts of the Greek gods, but Uranus is indeed Greek. Makes one wonder if the people naming the planet went "Caelus? Never heard of 'im. At least if we call it Uranus there'll be a lot of schoolboys giggling and snickering."

Uranus, Neptune and Pluto are invisible to the naked eye and were discovered much later than the others. William Herschel, who initially discovered Uranus (someone else had seen it before but thought it was a comet), suggested naming it "Georgium Sidus" - King George's Star. Fortunately that rather patriotic / grovellingly sycophantic idea was rejected.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-09-2017, 05:46 AM
(26-09-2017 12:52 AM)Astreja Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 11:36 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  The days of the week are named for Greek Gods.

A mixture of Roman and Germanic/Norse gods, actually. Tuesday is Tyr, Wednesday is Oðinn, Thursday is Thor, Friday is Frigga, Saturday is Saturn.

It's not even consistent across languages, either -- In French you get "mardi" (Tuesday) for Mars, "mercredi" (Wednesday) for Mercury, and "dimanche" (Sunday) is a mashup of the Latin phrase for "day of the Lord."

And in Icelandic, Saturday is laugardagur," or "washing day." Blink

Bottom line is that it looks very much like bits and pieces of mythology and regional traditions got stuck together rather un-systematically over multiple generations.

Quote:As are the planets.

Mostly the Roman counterparts of the Greek gods, but Uranus is indeed Greek. Makes one wonder if the people naming the planet went "Caelus? Never heard of 'im. At least if we call it Uranus there'll be a lot of schoolboys giggling and snickering."
Ah yes.
You are correct. I wrote that while fully aware that Tuesday is Thor or however you spelled it.
I have been infected with Cognitive Distortion!
Next I will begin speaking in tongues uncontrollably!
I can't wait actually.
I used to pay a lot of money back in the 70's to do that.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
26-09-2017, 10:41 AM
I used to say "God bless you", but since I became an atheist I now only say "bless you". I never really thought of it as religious even when I included "God". It's more of just a custom and that's how it still seems to me. I agree with those that said it seems rude to say nothing and other options like gesundheit aren't really said at least among those that I know personally.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.