Questions in my mind!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Question Questions in my mind!

First, I want to thank each and every one here for your help Heart
After reading your posts here, many questions raised in my mind,
1) I have a background about the "Big Bang", but I want to know more about it...
2) Can anyone explain "Evolution" with specifics to me?
3) What makes you an atheist?

(I know that these questions might seem dumb, but we don't study these things in school nor can we find them on the web because the Saudi-Arabian government blocks all the sites that speak about these topics)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2011, 12:52 PM
RE: Questions in my mind!
First off......none of your questions are dumb. The only dumb thing would be if you had the questions and never asked them.

#1 Yikes. Looking for specifics in the "Big Bang" thread is probably your best bet, but you'll need some specific questions first.

#2 There's entire books written with the sole purpose of explaining evolution. How bout this: look through some threads here (search evolution. it'll keep you busy for quite a while!) and then come here with some questions you still have.

#3 Nothing. Atheism (to me) is simply a lack of religous belief. There's nothing to believe to be an atheist.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
29-05-2011, 01:19 PM

(29-05-2011 12:37 PM)CONFUSED Wrote:  
First, I want to thank each and every one here for your help Heart
After reading your posts here, many questions raised in my mind,
1) I have a background about the "Big Bang", but I want to know more about it...
2) Can anyone explain "Evolution" with specifics to me?
3) What makes you an atheist?

(I know that these questions might seem dumb, but we don't study these things in school nor can we find them on the web because the Saudi-Arabian government blocks all the sites that speak about these topics)

Your questions are not dumb. Something important to keep in mind is this, just because there are questions we cannot answer scientifically (yet) or just because a particular scientific explanation may not suit you does not mean that "God did it". It's okay to not have the answer to everything.

Here's an example:

According to our current understanding of the universe, dark energy and/or dark matter must exist. I'm not sold on this proposition. But because I'm not a fan of the dark energy/matter explanation does not mean I'm going to dismiss all of science and become a Christian/Muslim/whatever. I'm comfortable not knowing the answer to that question.
Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Q1: try this tread
Q2: A site about evolution
Q3: Literally Atheist means "not in a god believer" so if you don't believe in a god... *ZAM!* atheist Smile "being Atheist is just a small fraction of your world view.
In my case:
I am an "Agnostic atheist and secular humanist"
Agnostic: (un-knowledgeable). I see the world as a place where you only have a very small amount of absolute knowledge. nl: only a small bubble around your person. All the rest are assumptions ranging from 99.99% sure to 0.01% sure. If this Is hard for you to accept please think about the following: Imagine that you are in an office and left your car far outside where you can't see it. Are you really sure It's still there and in the same shape as you left it that morning? Yes? It's not stolen? Towed away? Vandalized? You can safely assume it to a certain degree, but do you really KNOW this? This explains my "agnostic" position about the world we live in.
Atheist: I don't believe there is a God or deity. (note: I haven't said there IS no deity). There are several reasons why I've taken this position but the main reasons are: Lack of indisputable proof that there is such a being and/or the inability of such being to provide its creation with an indisputable way to worship it. I don't worship deities for the same reasons I don't regard to a hypothetical invisible infinite ham in my fridge as being "lunch".
Secular: Although "secularism" is merely the opposite of "religious" I took the liberty to define it slightly different: A strict separation between religion and state. Since religion is a private matter, it should be separated from the state and it's laws. You can't force religion by law for the same reason you can't force a favorite color by law.
Humanist: Whenever whatever you do, the well being of your fellow humans should be foremost on your mind. I choose human well-being above religious dogma's, human life, economic profits, scientific knowledge, nationalism, ...

I hope you understand all this...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
29-05-2011, 10:56 PM
(29-05-2011 12:37 PM)CONFUSED Wrote:  ( ...nor can we find them on the web because the Saudi-Arabian government blocks all the sites that speak about these topics)

Well, apparently not all of them. You are here discussing it, after all. Tongue

These two I can answer:
"2) Can anyone explain "Evolution" with specifics to me?"

Evolution is the change over time in one or more inherited traits found in populations of organisms (~Wikipedia). Simply put, changes in organisms DNA create variation (different characteristics), some of which can survive and reproduce better than others and so those organisms have more offspring than the others and certain characteristics become more or less common over time.

"3) What makes you an atheist?"

As I, and most people on this forum, define atheism, it is simply rejection of belief as unjustified by evidence (in other words, disbelief because it hasn't been proven).
I don't believe in any gods, and I don't need evidence for that. The muslims and christians etc need to provide evidence that their god does exist, and so far no one has shown me that a god exists.

Hope that clear things up a little. Smile

Also, I would like to know if you can see youtube videos in Saudi Arabia, because there are quite a few good ones about the topics you asked about.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
30-05-2011, 04:21 AM
Can you access proxies in Saudi Arabia?

Try http://www.hidemyass.com. Go to the site, and enter the site you want to access in the proxy-box. Now you are surfing anonymous.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-05-2011, 08:07 AM

(29-05-2011 01:19 PM)Prokofiev Wrote:  According to our current understanding of the universe, dark energy and/or dark matter must exist. I'm not sold on this proposition. But because I'm not a fan of the dark energy/matter explanation does not mean I'm going to dismiss all of science and become a Christian/Muslim/whatever. I'm comfortable not knowing the answer to that question.

http://techie-buzz.com/science/dark-ener...chie+buzz)

And not Dark Matter, but interesting and related to the topic at hand:
http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/4358/...ssing-mass
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2011, 09:07 AM
They're not dumb question. You're extremely brave and smart to be willing to ask them in the first place.

1. The Big Bang is a complex model that introduces many new and somewhat confusing concepts. You're not going to learn everything about it on the internet, regardless of if it is restricted. But here is my brief understanding; Everything that would be the universe was condensed into a singularity; infinitely small(perplexing concept #1). I believe that it was purely energy, but don't quote me on that. Then, this super-condensed, infinitely small singularity began to expand. Not explode, there was no actual bang to speak of, but it all happened very fast. Now; Einsteins theory of relativity says that time, matter, and space are all relative. You can either have all three, or none. There cannot be "only time" or "only space". So, before the Big Bang, there was only energy(no time, matter, or space). Then, once the Big Bang occurred, all three came into existence(matter can come from energy). The universe is still expanding to day too. So, if you are asked if the universe had a beginning or always existed; it's somewhat of both. It shared it's beginning with time itself.

2.Mutations to genetic material happens at random(and new information can be added too). Most are harmful, some do nothing, but a few are good. When a good mutation occurs, it allows an animal to live longer, and thus gives them more time to reproduce. Those offspring, sharing that same mutation, go on to produce more children of their own(which is more than the average). Slowly, with a higher offspring rate, that mutation spread through all of the species, until all of them have that mutation. That is one change. Then another happens, and another, and another. So many things change, and with a changing environment meaning that they old parts may not be so good anymore, big changes happen. Species change even. They spread out and go to different environments that select for different mutations, and after enough time, you have different species.

3. I have found no evidence for a god. If there is no reason to believe in something, why should I believe in it?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
30-05-2011, 10:00 AM
most of the sites are blocked, but thanks anyway Blush
so far I've found, its either believe in myths, that people around me believe in, or believing the unquestionable science Undecided
30-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Science is in no way unquestionable. In fact science should constantly be questioned. That's what differentiates it (among a plethora of other things) from religion. By questioning science, we are constantly bettering our knowledge. If you find the information provided by science to be unsatisfactory, you can do research, learn more, and update that information with better evidence to show your alternate theory to be correct.

To have a truly open mind, you must be willing to scrutinize what you "know" and have the willingness to change your opinion when warranted. That's what makes freedom from religion so great. We don't have to defend something because it fits into our beliefs. Instead, we are free to change those beliefs based on truth and knowledge. I believe the Earth revolves around the sun because I am satisfied with the evidence provided. Should more evidence arise that says otherwise, I am free to consider said evidence and alter my belief accordingly.

Just visiting.

-SR