Questions in my mind!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2011, 04:21 PM
RE: Questions in my mind!
Hi there CONFUSED.

The main difference between science and religious dogma is that science is a self-correcting process, science change their points when new evidence is aquired through observation and experimentation, there is no dogma in science, science is not unquestionable.

Religious dogma on the other side is the denial of observation and evidence in order to mantain a belief system untouched and unquestioned.

I am an atheist because I dont believe in any god or creator because there is not a single piece of evidence that make me believe thre is a god or gods, I dont have any rational reason to belive in any kind of diety. I dont believe in science just because of blind faith, I give my trust to science because it provide us with evidence.

It is good to see that you are starting to think outside religious dogma, dont be afraid to ask questions, after all, thats how a rational mind works.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2011, 09:35 PM

(29-05-2011 12:37 PM)CONFUSED Wrote:  2) Can anyone explain "Evolution" with specifics to me?

Hey coincidentally I just posted a writeup on my facebook titled What Lay People Need To Know About Evolution. (Yess, yes... It's linked to my facebook... I'm not hiding anymore. I may reveal myself here one day anyway, so what the heck... The not is open to public if I'm not mistaken)

It turned out to not be as effective as I thought it was, as you can see on the comments below by some of my friends... I really thought I hit the spot!!

You're all welcomed to make comments on any inaccuracy, incorrect information if any or improvement on my note. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
You need to tell your one pal that he's right that people didn't come from monkeys.

People ARE monkeys.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes gamutman's post
12-05-2012, 01:02 PM
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c...0&bih=1081

2. read The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

3. i do not believe in god or any of the silly shit associated with religion

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
12-05-2012, 11:44 PM
(30-05-2011 10:00 AM)CONFUSED Wrote:  most of the sites are blocked, but thanks anyway Blush
so far I've found, its either believe in myths, that people around me believe in, or believing the unquestionable science Undecided
Blocked? Maybe I can help out a little bit...
http://ultrasurf.us/

Also, regarding the last point. It is precisely the questionable nature of science that led to progress. If we use science without any questioning, no new theories will be developed which allow further understanding of our universe.

Now...

1) The Big Bang is a model used to describe how the universe came about. Let's use an example to illustrate the Big Bang. Take a balloon, and crush it. Make it as packed as possible, leaving the end free. This is the start of the universe, an infinitely dense and infinitely hot singularity. Now, blow into the balloon. Blow harder and faster for every blow. You are simulating the Big Bang, where a sudden expansion of the universe takes place within a matter of seconds. The basic particles are formed first, followed by larger particles, and eventually elements, starting with hydrogen.

[Image: bigbang_timeline.jpg]

2) Evolution refers to the change in allelic frequency in a population over a period of time. I'll use pictures to illustrate the concept of evolution.

Evolution does NOT work like this:
[Image: evolution.png]

Rather, it works like this. Below are a series of pictures illustrating the mechanisms of evolution:
[Image: nature09113-f32.jpg] The above picture illustrated the concept of macroevolution. A common misconception by people is that humans evolved from monkeys. A more accurate statement would be that we share a common ancestor with apes. From the diagram, each node or branch point represents a common ancestor. Speciation (the formation of new species) is a process that leads to branching.

[Image: moths-on-light.jpg]

[Image: moths-on-dark.jpg]

The above two pictures illustrate the process of natural selection. There are two moths in each picture, can you find them? Both moths are of the same species. They are peppered moths. Here's the tale of two peppered moths, let's call them Black and White.

Before humans started developing factories here and there, the forest where Black and White lived is clean and pristine. White lichen grew freely on the tree barks, giving the tree a WHITE appearance. There was a bird in the forest named Fluffy who loves to play hide and seek with them. As most trees are covered with WHITE lichen, White is able to hide himself easily on the white tree barks, Black however had a hard time finding a place to hide and was always caught by Fluffy.

One day, humans came in and started building factories that gave out toxic smoke. The white lichen, poisoned by the smoke, stopped growing. The tree barks are no longer white any more, without the lichen covering them. Adding on to the fact that soot covered the tree barks, giving the tree a BLACK appearance. Black now can hide himself easily on the blackened tree barks, while White now has a hard time finding a place to hide, and Fluffy never failed to find him.

And that is natural selection, a mechanism of evolution in play, with the birds as the selection pressure in this case. Moths who can hide themselves easily live on and breed, while those who cannot hide themselves are caught by birds. The moths who breed give rise to the next generation of moths with advantageous traits their parents had, in this case wing colour.

3) No good reason to believe in a God yet. I don't mind people using religion to seek solace, but I abhor people integrating religion in education and even politics.

Hope that helped, and welcome to the forum Big Grin

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ