Questions on Christmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 02:40 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
Questions on Christmas
If christmas is a pagan holiday, how come jews are so adamant about not having a christmas tree? Is it lack of knowledge and ignorance?

How did christmas get it's name? Is calling it christmas the application of religion to a pagan holiday? or is it just a coincidence that the word 'christ' is in christmas?

Thanks!

( and before you post seth's video I've already seen it...good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kenbgMjRvlY )

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2014, 02:46 PM
RE: Questions on Christmas
Well, Jews don't typically celebrate Christmas as it's not a Jewish holiday. It's not surprising that they wouldn't have a Christmas tree.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-12-2014, 02:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-12-2014, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 07:52 PM by seeker13.)
Christians like to use "Jesus is the reason for the season," but that is not the case. It has been proven that his birthday is not christmas day. I found this online. I'm not sure how true this version is, but it goes along with everything that I've always known about the origins of christmas. Nearly all aspects of Christmas observance have their roots in Roman custom and religion. Consider the following admission from a large American newspaper (The Buffalo News, Nov. 22, 1984): “The earliest reference to Christmas being marked on Dec. 25 comes from the second century after Jesus' birth. It is considered likely the first Christmas celebrations were in reaction to the Roman Saturnalia, a harvest festival that marked the winter solstice—the return of the sun—and honored Saturn, the god of sowing. Saturnalia was a rowdy time, much opposed by the more austere leaders among the still-minority Christian sect. Christmas developed, one scholar says, as a means of replacing worship of the sun with worship of the Son. By 529 A.D., after Christianity had become the official state religion of the Roman Empire, Emperor Justinian made Christmas a civic holiday. The celebration of Christmas reached its peak—some would say its worst moments—in the medieval period when it became a time for conspicuous consumption and unequaled revelry.”
21-12-2014, 02:53 PM
(21-12-2014 02:46 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:If christmas is a pagan holiday, how come jews are so adamant about not having a christmas tree? Is it lack of knowledge and ignorance?
Well, Jews don't typically celebrate Christmas as it's not a Jewish holiday. It's not surprising that they wouldn't have a Christmas tree.

Nor are they pagans.

I have known secular Jews who had a Christmas tree, mostly for their kids to not feel excluded from all the fun.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
21-12-2014, 02:56 PM
(21-12-2014 02:37 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  If christmas is a pagan holiday, how come jews are so adamant about not having a christmas tree? Is it lack of knowledge and ignorance?

How did christmas get it's name? Is calling it christmas the application of religion to a pagan holiday? or is it just a coincidence that the word 'christ' is in christmas?

Thanks!

( and before you post seth's video I've already seen it...good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kenbgMjRvlY )

I have a Jewish friend and she puts up a Christmas tree every year. She loves Christmas. All the shopping and gifts and parties. Yeah, she does all the fun stuff at Christmas and leaves all the religious crap to the Christians.

I kinda do the same thing. It's something fun to do in the middle of the drab, dark winter.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-12-2014, 03:13 PM
(21-12-2014 02:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas

Nice. So the name "christmas" is based on a religion (christ), but to not exclude anyone, its formally described as a cultural celebration for everyone. You can choose to input christianity or any religion but it's not a requirement, even though the name itself is blatantly based off religion (rolls eyes).

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
21-12-2014, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 03:31 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
Why did they choose to celebrate Jesus' birth on the winter solstice, December 25th? ...maybe because Dec 25th is the tradition, and Christianity took over as the dominant religion so they changed the name of the tradition to "Christmas"??? As i understand, the winter solstice has been celebrate for a long time, maybe with the rise of christianity they renamed this tradition "christmas"?

(I heard that in the bible Jesus' actually birthday was somewhere in late summer/early fall, so why december 25th)

21-12-2014, 03:24 PM
(21-12-2014 03:14 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Why did they choose to celebrate Jesus' birth on the winter solstice, December 25th? ...maybe because Dec 25th is the tradition, and Christianity took over as the dominant religion so they changed the name of the tradition to "Christmas"??? As i understand, the winter solstice has been celebrate for a long time, maybe with the rise of christianity they renamed this tradition "christmas"?

(I heard that in the bible Jesus' actually birthday was somewhere in late summer/early fall, so why december 25th)

There is zero data to know anything about an actual Jesus's birth. The only people saying the, it was actual spring-summer trend probably just comes from people trying to presume when the alleged comets that came by that let the people know his birth was there came by.

There was already the celebration Saturnalia and other solstice holidays or believes that went hand in hand with idea of celebration and rejoice. So they added Christmas into that mix.

But I'm not aware of any Jews being adamantly opposed to Christmas trees. Even in regards to the secular/consumer elements of Christmas, the tree element is less significant. It's still a germanic region tradition that spread across to America and elsewhere but it's not universal even in areas that do celebrate christmas in secular ways.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Jews don't celebrate Christmas because Christmas celebrates a birth of a messiah they don't accept.

Many Jews do celebrate Hanukah, and will state its just as important as Christmas.

It's interesting to note Hanukah isn't a Jewish high holiday at all (high or important holidays like Passover or Yom Kippur are supposed to be celebrated and have detailed rules of whats to be done)

Hanukah is a fun time of food and family but it's not very important to celebrate the full 8 days.

Some will do a Hanukah tree or something like that too.

The idea of a Christmas tree isn't a Christian thing, that does come from the previous celebration of the solstice. Bringing something alive into a time of darkness when everything looks dead is a theme. So is the idea of burning barberry candles on new years eve, it's said they drive away the evil lurking or something like that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces