Questions on Christmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 03:32 PM
RE: Questions on Christmas
(21-12-2014 03:14 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Why did they choose to celebrate Jesus' birth on the winter solstice, December 25th? ...maybe because Dec 25th is the tradition, and Christianity took over as the dominant religion so they changed the name of the tradition to "Christmas"??? As i understand, the winter solstice has been celebrate for a long time, maybe with the rise of christianity they renamed this tradition "christmas"?

(I heard that in the bible Jesus' actually birthday was somewhere in late summer/early fall, so why december 25th)

Yup I was somewhat right.... Read second section on this website http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/C...lStory.htm

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Wink RE: Questions on Christmas
(21-12-2014 02:46 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well, Jews don't typically celebrate Christmas as it's not a Jewish holiday. It's not surprising that they wouldn't have a Christmas tree.

Careful, christmas is not a christian holiday. Wink It's a cultural celebration for everyone. I'm an atheist and I celebrate xmas in the same way a jew would. They must not celebrate it because they have a religious thing they do at the same time

Is hanukkah strictly jewish, or is that open to everyone like christmas??

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
21-12-2014, 07:13 PM
RE: Questions on Christmas
(21-12-2014 05:43 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Careful, christmas is not a christian holiday. Wink It's a cultural celebration for everyone. I'm an atheist and I celebrate xmas in the same way a jew would. They must not celebrate it because they have a religious thing they do at the same time.

Well sure. I was speaking more to orthodox Jews who would celebrate traditional holidays. If you're talking about secular people who are Jewish more in culture than anything else, well I'm not sure what you're asking for.

(21-12-2014 05:43 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Is hanukkah strictly jewish, or is that open to everyone like christmas??

I'm fairly sure if I want to put on a yamaka, light a menorah and spin a dreidel there's not going to be anyone who would care to stop me, but I might get some funny looks. The secular culture of Christmas is simply more widespread, especially in the west.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco