Questions, questions, so many questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Questions, questions, so many questions
Hello fellow Atheists
I admit to having lurked here for a few weeks now and not posting anything of great importance but I now approach you all with some trepidation.
I am a Brit living in France and am of average intelligence. I am no philosopher and do find some of the threads here somewhat intimating intellectually but, nonetheless, very stimulating (even if I have to look up some of the words!).
My background is fairly benign Methodism; I went to church with my parents and sister and brother pretty much every Sunday until I was about 13 when I decided I didn’t like the ‘holier than thou’ or perhaps ‘petit bourgeois’ attitude of the kids in Sunday school and refused to go any longer. I’m sure that it wasn’t the’ God question’ that stopped me but my timidity and feeling that I didn’t come up to scratch with them. I hated the uncomfortable feeling they gave me.
Religion was never rammed down my throat but I was aware that my parents were believers.
I have never really considered religion (or the lack thereof) as being important to my daily life and went along in my own merry, kind, courteous, tolerant way. I did know that my sister from a very early age (she is only 18 months younger than me) was of a like mind to me but we never really had much discussion about it. It just wasn’t important.
However, recently, I was shocked to discover that nearly half of Americans believe in a young earth.
The fact that such an important world power has that many people in it who do not accept evolution in any way, shape or form really worries me for the future of the world. Given the fanaticism of its greatest critics (the fundamentalist Muslim world), what, I asked myself, is the difference between the two? Where will this lead us? Please don’t assume that I am tarring all Americans with the same brush – I am relieved to find so many on this forum who share my beliefs.
I then started to explore the atheist world more closely, concentrating in particular on those who were attempting to educate the religious world in the field of science and particularly evolution. I was even more shocked by what I found - how, I asked myself, can so many people ignore what is, to me, a beautiful and completely understandable and eminently sensible explanation of how we, and other animals, came to be in our present form, and what are we doing about it?
In my research, I found some very interesting people (Christopher Hitchens to name just one) and I now find myself asking further questions; for example, why, when religious people try to justify their belief, do some have to fall upon heavily philosophical arguments to justify their point? Are they trying to blind us with pseudo-science? Why is it so difficult to believe in evolution? Are people like Ken Ham just having a laugh at religious peoples’ gullibility? Why do theists insist that atheists are ‘God-haters’? How can we hate something we don’t believe in?
Anyway, if you’ve managed to read to the end of this, I commend you for your tenacity and ability to stay awake!!
I just wanted to say ‘hello’ and give you some information on this ‘newbie’. I look forward to reading further interesting debates and, you never know, perhaps sticking my oar in occasionally.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes englishrose's post
05-10-2013, 10:03 AM
RE: Questions, questions, so many questions

Welcome to the forum! Let that paddle wheel thump! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
05-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Hi EnglishRose! It's good to have you here. You asked a couple of the questions I asked myself just about the time I finally made the choice to see what all the fuss is about. As for coming here... I just think of it as furthering my global education. Wink

Dive right in, the water isn't quite as chilly as one might imagine. Although... do mind the trolls; they try to clutch at whatever they can. Dodgy

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Welcome aboard!

Jump into discussions as you want and don't feel intimidated.

You'll learn to spot the trolls and theists that are just here to preach in due course. They are a bit tiresome but sometimes they can be fun.

We also have theists that do not claim that science is wrong and don't try to convert.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
05-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Welcome!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
(05-10-2013 09:26 AM)englishrose Wrote:  ...
I am ... of average intelligence.

The IQ of the forum might have gone up a couple of notches.

Welcome, fellow Brit and fellow France-dweller.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
05-10-2013, 12:36 PM
(05-10-2013 12:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 09:26 AM)englishrose Wrote:  ...
I am ... of average intelligence.

The IQ of the forum might have gone up a couple of notches.

You're talking about me, aren't you? Dodgy

Welcome aboard, englishrose! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
05-10-2013, 12:43 PM
(05-10-2013 12:36 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 12:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The IQ of the forum might have gone up a couple of notches.

You're talking about me, aren't you? Dodgy

Welcome aboard, englishrose! Thumbsup

Freaking Brits....calm down.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
05-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:why, when religious people try to justify their belief, do some have to fall upon heavily philosophical arguments to justify their point?

Because philosophy is nothing but rather pointless jargon...mental masturbation for the most part which fits in well with the nonsensical beliefs of theists. Science deals in facts.

Quote:We have heard talk enough. We have listened to all the drowsy, idealess, vapid sermons that we wish to hear. We have read your Bible and the works of your best minds. We have heard your prayers, your solemn groans and your reverential amens. All these amount to less than nothing. We want one fact. We beg at the doors of your churches for just one little fact. We pass our hats along your pews and under your pulpits and implore you for just one fact. We know all about your mouldy wonders and your stale miracles. We want a this year's fact. We ask only one. Give us one fact for charity. Your miracles are too ancient. The witnesses have been dead for nearly two thousand years.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
05-10-2013, 12:50 PM
"There are more questions than answers
Pictures in my mind that will not show
There are more questions than answers
And the more I find out the less I know
Yeah, the more I find out the less I know

I’ve asked the question time and time again
Why is there so little of a moment
Oh, what is life, how do we live
What should we take and how much should we give..."

Don't really feel like it's appropriate for me to welcome you, as I'm not really here anymore... so let me just wish you a nice stay in the forum. Hope you really enjoy it Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post