Questions that plague me and a bit of a rant.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Questions that plague me and a bit of a rant.
Hi all.

I am new to the forum and I apologize if these questions have already been answered but these are some questions that plague me as an atheist and I am curious to get some opinions or answers. I understand some of these questions probably can't be answered.

Why is it when an atheist asks a question about their faith, Christians get so defensive to the point of spewing profanities and threats of eternal damnation rather than answer the question? Do they not realize by doing this they are just turning me off their religion even more? Or are they afraid to even examine the why in fear of realizing it's all BS themselves? Don't they realize being polite and having a civil conversation would probably be a bigger benefit than threats?

Even though neither of us would change our opinion it would win my respect to be able to have a civil conversation. I was reading some of the emails that are sent to Richard Dawkins on his site, under "the Ugly" and as I was reading I was thinking, these people are only hurting their crusade to convert people by saying some things that are absolutely horrible.

I was reading some comments on a youtube video which featured Christopher Hitchens and some of the religious people said such horrible things, like how they are happy he is dead and burning in hell. I was shocked and appalled. How can people say that about another human being? As an athiest I would never say I was glad someone was dead, religious or not (unless they were a horrible person running around raping and killing people). It sickens me and I can't believe that these tactics will do anything but harm their cause.

Anyway this post ended up longer than expected, thank you for letting me rant a bit. I am just so confused about people who are Christian and supposed to be Moral and righteous can be so un-christ-like. It just cements my belief that religion is just a bunch of BS that people only use when convenient or when it can further their agenda.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Be gentle I am new. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sistanis's post
19-07-2012, 08:27 PM
RE: Questions that plague me and a bit of a rant.
God is an identifier, and to question the existence of god is to depreciate the identity of the theist. And most people avoid revelations of self-discovery. They do not question themselves, their identity, their motives, but rather follow the herd in the fashion of getting along to go along. The Christian herd has a long history of nastiness and intolerance; such rudeness is allowed to perpetuate by the complete lack of self regulation within the society and the apathy of the masses.

Which is to say, meh. :/

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-07-2012, 08:27 PM
(19-07-2012 08:17 PM)Sistanis Wrote:  Why is it when an atheist asks a question about their faith, Christians get so defensive to the point of spewing profanities and threats of eternal damnation rather than answer the question?

One theory is that when you question their religious beliefs you are actually threatening their persona. The belief in a god is a self generated protection against death mostly, but also the countless other external threats to the self. This deity is a faux projector of their person which helps them cope. To take away the "emotional security blanket" would crash the ego (in a psychological meaning).
It would be like a stranger trying to rip off your clothes in a crowded shopping mall. You would defend at all cost not to be exposed to the world in that way.
Notice that not all react this way. Some will engage you in thoughtful discussion and there are a few of them on this forum.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
19-07-2012, 08:40 PM
(19-07-2012 08:27 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Notice that not all react this way. Some will engage you in thoughtful discussion and there are a few of them on this forum.

I have noticed and I do not judge an entire group based on the actions of a few. I know there are some nasty atheists out there too. I just recently listened to Seth's Podcast where he was speaking with a believer (I can't remember her name) and she was asking alot of questions and it was the most amazing show. I had such respect for her to have the courage to come on the podcast and ask questions and listen to the answers. Also I had respect for her that she was secure enough in her belief that she didn't have to resort to the nasties.

It was so nice to hear her answer some questions from Seth that were also on my mind. I wish more of the religious were like her (and some atheists). Big Grin
19-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I've seen some really horrible and barbaric things said by those who profess to be religious about those who are not SIMPLY because they don't believe in any gods. Not just Christians, either. I've seen other religions act as badly, too. Typically, I see atheists react to this with hostility sometimes, but in a lot of ways, I can see why they would. Getting threatened with Hell and eternal damnation every five minutes just because you don't believe in a god kind of gets to you after a while...

I think this video is also rather helpful in understanding why some religious people - Christians mainly - get so pissy when you question their god or their beliefs.

[+] 2 users Like SlipStitch's post
20-07-2012, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2012 12:16 AM by kingschosen.)
This has actually been my fight for a long time. Ask most anyone here who know me.

My philosophy about Christianity is this:

Live as Christ would. Do as Christ would. Let your actions speak for themselves. Let all your words be positive and uplifting. Don't shove religion down others throats. Don't try and "save" anyone; that's God's job. Treat others with the utmost respect regardless if they don't return the favor.

Unfortunately, my approached to Christianity isn't shared by some of the more militant, abrasive, over-bearing brethren.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
20-07-2012, 12:14 AM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2012 12:18 AM by Vosur.)
(19-07-2012 08:17 PM)Sistanis Wrote:  Be gentle I am new. Big Grin
That's what she said. Drinking Beverage

(19-07-2012 08:17 PM)Sistanis Wrote:  Why is it when an atheist asks a question about their faith, Christians get so defensive to the point of spewing profanities and threats of eternal damnation rather than answer the question? Do they not realize by doing this they are just turning me off their religion even more? Or are they afraid to even examine the why in fear of realizing it's all BS themselves? Don't they realize being polite and having a civil conversation would probably be a bigger benefit than threats?
A religious belief can provide a person with some sort of shelter and security. My father for example suffers from the disease Multiples Sklerosis (basically he cannot walk anymore) and his belief in the Christian God helps him deal with the situation. It bugs me to hear something like "It's a test from God" or "God has chosen this path for me", but if it helps him live his life I'm fine with it. If you try to damage that shelter or remove it entirely it is at least understandable why theists get so defensive about it.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
20-07-2012, 12:47 PM
When you derive your morality from an immoral book that preaches hate and tries to justify murder, slavery & genocide, you get people,
who at their core, are taught that not believing is the most terrible crime you can commit and thus their hatred for that crime is justified.

What better way to control people than to get them to hate others who don't believe as they do.

You can lead these people to war.
You can get them to commit atrocities.
You can get them to give you their money.

All because you have convinced them that they are special, that they are loved by the most powerful being in the universe.
He loves you. He is all wise and he wishes you to do this. Any action he asks of you is wise by it's very nature. You need not question it.

So when someone denies the existence of god, they are denying that this god loves that person.

If someone told you that your wife or husband didn't love you, how angry would you get ?
If this person told everyone in your community that you wife or husband didn't even live with you, couldn't stand to be near you, how angry would you get ?

A christian gets angry because they feel that an Atheist is spreading lies and we all know what other character in christianity spreads lies.
So thus, telling an Atheist to go to hell seems fitting to them. Burn forever and never let me hear those words you are speaking again.
Those words that say my god doesn't love me, that my god isn't real.

Those words that say that I'm crazy.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
20-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all the perspectives. I'm from a small community in New Brunswick, well it is a city but I am sure it would be small to anyone from Big cities. My boyfriend and I are both atheists and our closest friends are also atheists but we are a small group of 6. I appreciate being able to ask these things to a large community of free thinkers. It's nice to not feel alone.
[+] 1 user Likes Sistanis's post