Questions they don't like at Alpha courses...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Questions they don't like at Alpha courses...
Hi guys,

New to the forums but have a big list of questions that my christian 'friends' kind of stumbled and fobbed me off with some nonsense when I asked them so I thought I'd start posing them here...

Whilst the obvious answer to me is 'because it's all BS', I'd really appreciate some more elaborate feedback to my questions so here goes...

First question I'll pose is this;

Let's start with the Rapture - I've found a bit of scripture though understand it's more of a modern AOG type idea that's not massively written about in the bible - though feel free to direct if anyone disagrees...

If the rapture is going to happen in the foreseeable does this mean heaven/hell is already populated or does it mean that everyone who has already died has had their fate decided or must they wait until this event?

in short - according to the christian faith is anyone in Heaven/Hell yet or do we all have to wait until the rapture happens for our eternal fate to be decided?

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2015, 05:13 PM
RE: Questions they don't like at Alpha courses...
First off -- "The Rapture" is a recent invention.... There's a large segment of the Christians that hold no truck with it, and insist that rapture doctrine did not exist before John Darby invented it in 1830.....

But, if they're into arguing made up stuff -- you might want to go for something a bit more contemporary --- like "could the Hulk kick Spiderman's ass"?????

At least you can watch a few movies while figuring it out......

There's popcorn to eat, and beers to be drunk.....

Seems way more fun to me...

void where prohibited by law.
Your results may vary..
Batteries not included.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Hey Onlinebiker,

I hear your point however having recently attained the confidence to actually declare myself as no longer believing in the christian god there are challenges ahead - this reminds me of a Christopher Hitchens' podcast I listened to where he had informed some catholic priest or similar of the difference between the immaculate conception and the virgin birth - an atheist/anti-theist coaching a catholic.

It's time to get my theological ducks in a row as some people will think I'm just having a wobble, I feel I need to be able to come back at them with both barrels. "You wanna know why I've left the church... where would you like to begin?

As much as cracking open the beers and talking superheros sounds like not the worst way to pass the time I've got friends that are going to be genuinely and sincerely worried for my eternal soul (at least initially - they'll probably go and pray for me then forget all about me before moving onto their next conquest). These are long term friends that I'm referring to which is sad as some of the friendships will inevitably end (some already have) on the basis that my mindset has not only shifted (it shifted a couple of years ago) but I now have the confidence to say that I just don't believe in any of this stuff anymore. I'd like to be able to back it up with examples of what I don't believe in - if that makes sense!

Once all these lousy soon to be ex-friendships are out the way then I'm sure I'll have the time to concern myself with who could kick who's ass!

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
04-03-2015, 06:57 PM
(04-03-2015 06:33 PM)‘Nieko Sx Wrote:  ...but I now have the confidence to say that I just don’t believe in any of this stuff anymore. I'd like to be able to back it up with examples of what I don't believe in - if that makes sense!

It might be easier to simply ask for evidence instead of placing the burden of proof on yourself.

Someone tells you the Rapture is coming, wish them luck and ask if you can have their car. What’s the point of debating whether or not dead bodies will rise out of the ground or not and if hell and heaven are already occupied?

Like Onlinebiker said you might as well argue, “Could the Hulk kick Spiderman’s ass”.

The answer by the way is yes, yes he can. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Asking a christian for evidence, hmmm don't much fancy my chances there with the ones I know... these are people that scoff evolution being taught in schools and tell young children that people who have recently died couldn't be further from a better place - they are almost definitely burning in hell. One of these people left my eight year old child visibly distressed after telling her that a recently deceased friend (only 42 years old) was in hell and all manner of awful things were happening to him now and were going to continue happening forever and ever... nice!

Getting down to the bare bones of my post is that when I was playing the game these people were my friends, as wacky as some of their stuff was we spent time together and did things together. I've reached the point where I can no longer pretend and act as if I believe all this stuff, I just can't do it anymore. I'm going to lose friends, I know this. The people who genuinely care about me will stay and those who may have seen me as some kind of conquest will fade into the background as they find their next protege.

As much as I don't need people that shallow and judgmental in my life it's still a process that is going to be somewhat sad to go through - oh and the people that I know will definitely be leaving me as a lost cause have a horrible car!

04-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Here's my 2 cents on this issue. .First, I always establish that the burden of proof is on them..coz " here I am living my godless life then these people come telling me that there's a god or gods, 'well then prove it to me'..and until that happens I'll assume that everything you'll talk about your god isn't true because as of now 'god is non-existent' unless proven otherwise. :-)