Questions to a Bible-Believing Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-09-2010, 10:29 PM

RE: Questions to a Bible-Believing Christian
I hope he is. He'd make a good atheist, I think. Wink I like him.
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 06:09 AM

(02-09-2010 05:43 PM)No J. Wrote:  Barley, are you sure that you are not loosing your faith and jumping in with us as a method of testing the waters to see if atheism is a vaible alternative?

Hey No J. No. What I am doing is testing my faith in the sense that I need reminders of why I believe what I believe, and need to challenge myself to keep learning and working on my relationship with God. I am also working on learning to love those with whom I disagree. I will admit, due to human nature, pride especially, it is difficult Smile. A big part of me just wants to lose it and troll till the cows come home. Sorry, just trying to be honest. I do appreciate that you guys and girls have cleared up some misconceptions I had about atheism. I'm just taking a step back to let everything soak in. I'm sure I'll be back with some more questions, but especially a "summary" based on what I've learned here about atheism, for you guys and girls to confirm for me.

Thanks,

Barley
03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Fine by me. We're happy to answer any questions you might have.

While you're thinking, though, I would like to make a recommendation. There are two video series on YouTube that I think that you would find very educational.

I'm not saying this to be mean (blunt, maybe, but not mean), but I think that young-Earth creationism is idiotic, even if you believe in God. You're obviously an intelligent person, one who can understand the science involved in this, so I'd like to at least give you the pointers towards the information which disproves YEC. You can take it or leave it. I just want you to know that the information is there.

The first of these series is called "Potholer54debunks", and can be found here. In it, the user Potholer54 (who has recently revealed himself to be an investigative reporter and science correspondent for a British news corporation, in case his qualifications are important) covers some of the more obvious flaws in young-Earth creationism, including the idea of a global flood.

The second is called "Why Do People Laugh At Creationists?" by the user "thunderf00t". Please don't be turned off by the name; it may be a little offensive, but the information he has in the videos is entirely accurate and provides a very concise and effective rebuttal to many creationist claims, including those of famous "Doctor" Kent Hovind. The series is still being added to. The first video can be found here.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 06:42 PM

Is Barley a creationist and a young-earth advocate? Did I miss something?
03-09-2010, 06:43 PM
(03-09-2010 06:42 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Is Barley a creationist and a young-earth advocate? Did I miss something?

yes he stated so on the first page.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
03-09-2010, 06:47 PM

(03-09-2010 06:42 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Is Barley a creationist and a young-earth advocate? Did I miss something?

that he is, good sir. However, at least he's willing to have his beliefs tested.

I don't hate him for it. Though I do think it's a little odd.

An open question to all, then.

what is the link, if any, between young earth creationists and fundamentalists?
03-09-2010, 06:50 PM
(03-09-2010 06:47 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  that he is, good sir. However, at least he's willing to have his beliefs tested.

An open question to all, then.

I believe fundamentalists are those who absolutely refuse all other explanations and often show aggressive behavior to those who would go as far as to ask a simple question, at least thats what I have experienced of them living just up the road of a fundie church, being pelted with harsh words and the occasional water bottle whenever I pass by. Fundamentalism isn't exclusive to christianity. really fundamentalist anything is just plain bad news.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
03-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Quote:what is the link, if any, between young earth creationists and fundamentalists?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Barley, I don't mean to speak for you, but at least when I was, as a Fundamentalist I believed the Bible was the inerrant, literal, breathed word of God. Along that line of thinking, the Genesis account was included in that Word of God, so it, too, must be correct, or the foundation of the Bible, so to speak, is mislaid.

For me, it was basically all of it's true or we'd have no real idea on what was true and what wasn't, and we'd have to cherry-pick what felt good, which seemed wrong.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:Please correct me if I'm wrong, Barley, I don't mean to speak for you, but at least when I was, as a Fundamentalist I believed the Bible was the inerrant, literal, breathed word of God. Along that line of thinking, the Genesis account was included in that Word of God, so it, too, must be correct, or the foundation of the Bible, so to speak, is mislaid.

That's a great explanation for those unfamiliar with what a fundie really is. A fundamentalist is nothing less than an extreme literalist. To a fundamentalist, even sections of the bible considered by more "liberal" christians to be figurative (such as the creation story, the flood story, and revelation) become literal accounts of real history.
07-09-2010, 04:46 AM

(03-09-2010 06:47 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  

that he is, good sir. However, at least he's willing to have his beliefs tested.

I wouldn't literally hate someone for having a particular set of beliefs, but my reaction to such is that this is someone with whom I'm not likely to agree about much of anything, since I'm a scientist, trained to base ideas on credible evidence, as opposed to faith.

(03-09-2010 06:47 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  An open question to all, then.

It seems to me that a young Earth creationist must be basing that set of beliefs on a literal reading of the Bible, which I assume is more or less consistent with fundamentalist "thinking". For instance, the figure of 6,000+ years for the age of the earth is based on some medieval "analysis" of biblical lineages, starting with Adam and Eve. That is, it's based on accepting the literal words of the Bible - not metaphorical or allegorical interpretations of those words.