Questions to atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
23-11-2015, 03:05 PM
RE: Questions to atheists
(23-11-2015 01:08 PM)davidkingrichie Wrote:  I was trying to show the effects of atheism on morality.

The only effect of atheism on morality is it allows us to ignore the "might makes right" philosophy held by many religions and to freely seek logical, rational reasons to condone or condemn various actions and to understand that sometimes things are just none of our business.

Atheism doesn't impose, or even suggest, a basis for morality. All it does is rule out "god said so" as a possible basis.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
23-11-2015, 03:06 PM
(23-11-2015 02:17 PM)Alla Wrote:  DAVIDKINGRICHIE

what is salvation?

Salvation (Latin salvatio; Greek sōtēria; Hebrew yeshu'ah[citation needed]) is being saved or protected from harm[1] or being saved or delivered from some dire situation.[2] In religion, salvation is stated as the saving of the soul from sin and its consequences.[3]

The academic study of salvation is called soteriology.
Wikipedia.
23-11-2015, 03:09 PM
(23-11-2015 03:05 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 01:08 PM)davidkingrichie Wrote:  I was trying to show the effects of atheism on morality.

The only effect of atheism on morality is it allows us to ignore the "might makes right" philosophy held by many religions and to freely seek logical, rational reasons to condone or condemn various actions and to understand that sometimes things are just none of our business.

Atheism doesn't impose, or even suggest, a basis for morality. All it does is rule out "god said so" as a possible basis.

Thanks!
23-11-2015, 03:25 PM
Soul? Citation needed.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2015, 03:29 PM
(23-11-2015 03:25 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Soul? Citation needed.

Soul is defined as one person, or is the spirit and essence of a person.
An example of your soul is the part of you that makes you who you are and that will live on after your death.
An example of soul is the part of you that will go to heaven and be immortal, according to the the teachings of certain religions.
An example of soul is any person.
YourDictionary
Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/soul#1Ls9UdqwuWRhjQSM.99
23-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Citation, not definition. Please provide evidence you have a soul.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
23-11-2015, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 04:31 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-11-2015 03:06 PM)davidkingrichie Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 02:17 PM)Alla Wrote:  DAVIDKINGRICHIE

what is salvation?

Salvation (Latin salvatio; Greek sōtēria; Hebrew yeshu'ah[citation needed]) is being saved or protected from harm[1] or being saved or delivered from some dire situation.[2] In religion, salvation is stated as the saving of the soul from sin and its consequences.[3]

The academic study of salvation is called soteriology.
Wikipedia.

But it's not a Biblical idea. The Jews were not waiting for someone to save them from their sins. It's not the role of a messiah. Jewish philosophers and scholars do not accept it. When the young man in Matthew asked Jesus what he had to do to get to heaven, Jesus said nothing about "being saved". He said "keep the commandments". That's it. You should try reading your Bible some day, instead of making up lies about atheists and fiction about morality.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-11-2015, 03:37 PM
(23-11-2015 03:30 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Citation, not definition. Please provide evidence you have a soul.

I so totally have a soul. As proof, I once ate chitlins and stewed greens. If I had no soul, what was all that soul food feeding? Checkmate, atheist!

* I Am walks away, humming Marvin Gaye.
[+] 4 users Like I Am's post
23-11-2015, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 04:04 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(23-11-2015 03:29 PM)davidkingrichie Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 03:25 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Soul? Citation needed.

Soul is defined as one person, or is the spirit and essence of a person.
An example of your soul is the part of you that makes you who you are and that will live on after your death.
An example of soul is the part of you that will go to heaven and be immortal, according to the the teachings of certain religions.
An example of soul is any person.
YourDictionary
Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/soul#1Ls9UdqwuWRhjQSM.99

Those are transcendental terms....words created by those who believe in transcendental beings, other dimensions were heavens and hells exist and other magical clap trap. You saying it with confidence while nodding your head doesn't take away from the fact that your faith claim is lacking evidence. Just because it is in the dictionary, doesn't make it real, if you had scrolled down on your link, you would have found this:

"Soul: (religion, folklore) The spirit or essence of a person usually thought to consist of one's thoughts and personality. Often believed to live on after the person's death." Rolleyes

I can define souls as that which Norgg the creator of all life, who resides inside hollow neptune, created by mixing unicorn farts and fairy dust in the Great Sky Cauldron. This magical soul mixture is then bottled in special elven glass and fired off into the Earth's atmosphere, upon entering, the glass melts and the soul is released. At the first breath of a new human, the soul is inhaled and gives the body sentience.

Now If I say that with confidence, while nodding my head in affirmation, does that make it more credible? Do you realize there is as much evidence for your terms as mine? can you disprove Norgg? You can't, thus he MUST be real. See how that works? Stick around DKR, I have much to teach you. I replied in our debate by the way. Looking forward to your response.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
23-11-2015, 03:51 PM
I had skimmed your little play but went back and read it in more detail. You got one line right. It is complete bollocks.

Quote:Me: you basically answered nothing. I don't stone adulterers and practise obscene act written in the old testament because Jesus came and taught us better.

How do you know it is better? If you truly base your morality on what your god told you to do then you have no basis for determining good from evil yourself. You can only assume that what god said is good really is good. If you aren't familiar with the Euthyphro dilemna I suggest you read it carefully and really think about it.

Quote:Me: morality as we know it is a mirage. No one feels actual compassion for another human,else you won't be using your iphone 6s while other humans don't have food to eat,there won't be billionaires while beggars exist,there won't be youtube videos of jerks throwing top notch phones in lava,boiling coke,liquid bromine while poor kids in Africa,Asia and other parts of tthe world don't have a meal to eat. Compassion is an invention by smart humans who wanted to exploit it on the basis of charity for popularity and whatnot. Humans don't have moral code when life is threatened -like most animals,they react ANIMALISTICALLY. You don't see a man having compassion for a person holding a gun to his head. You don't see a soldier having compassion for the soldiers of other nations during war. You don't see white supremacist having compassion/feeling equal on/to their fellow homosapien beings with a darker skin or shorter physical appearance. The intelligence of man has made him justify his stupidity to a fault. If God was proven to be fiction,i will kill,steal and have sex with all the beings I want because I am an animal.

You live in a very black and white world that is significantly different than the one I experience. I would not claim that people can't be thoughtless and selfish much of the time but there is also great compassion in the world. Some people do work to ensure others have enough to eat. Soldiers have been known to show compassion to the enemy (look up the WW I Christmas truce for example). Racists have changed their minds. Your argument may be saying much more about people indoctrinated into religion than it does about humans in general. The attitude that humans are vile, corrupt, worthless animals without god is promoted by religion and it is a big part of why atheists are becoming more vocal. We are sick of being maligned that way; it is a limited and distorted view and if you would drop the god glasses you'd see that.

Quote:Prison as we know it is a physical representation of hell,justice as we know it is a physical representation of God's will and commandment. So,disproving God is disproving law and jail time. You don't put a lion in jail for being a lion. I should be able to kill a cop that threatens my existence.

Without a god belief, prison has no connection to hell and god's will and commandments are just so much mythology. Prisons are an unfortunate necessity in many cases when individuals refuse to live in a cooperative manner with the rest of society. They are not eternal punishment and torture for finite, and arbitrary, transgressions.

Quote:Me: deep down,humans don't know what is right or wrong. Babies/kids don't know better,they are taught to feel and be compassionate. Most atheists today were once christians,have read the bible,and were taught morality at a very young age. If humans can know what is right or wrong at the subconscious level,then let's conduct an experiment. Take two twins "A and B". Take "A" to Australia and train him to kill,to steal,to do whatever he wants. If he does good,beat and scold him,if he does bad,congratulate him with gifts. Take "B" to Germany and train him to be compassionate,teach him the word of God and morals. Then, have a control experiment. A child "C" living in the US. Don't teach him/her anything about morality or justice. When he/she does something right or wrong,be indifferent about it. What do you think will be the result of such an experiment?
Atheist-John: truthfully,i don't know because such an experiment has not yet been conducted and deducing an inference and conclusion from mere premises will be foolish and unwise.
Me:well,such an experiment needs to be conducted,but come to think of it. These experiment has been conducted,is being conducted and will be conducted.
Atheist-John: how? I 've not heard of such experiments before or its experimental data being released to the public.
Me: what I mean is- different people have different behaviours,were raised differently and have their own sense or no sense of morality. Put yourself in a killers shoes,or that of a rapist,a pervert,a transexual,a suicidal person,a suicide bomber,human traffickers,cannibals....the list goes on. These people don't have the same moral code that you have as an atheist John,because you were brought up as a christian.

You conflate the word of god with morality in your description of child "B" and that is an attempt to smuggle your conclusion into the premise. You also ignore the fact that many, if not most, of those rapists and perverts were also brought up as Christians. If people who are brought up as Christians and people who aren't brought up as Christians can both "go bad" then obviously the Christian part is not relevant.

Quote:Me: you atheists keep laughing at the bible,yet,you haven't proved how beings of same species - (homosapiens) after evolution,speak different languages and have different race,while their monkey/ape counterparts can communicate with one another irrespective of their base - Amazon ape will communicate effectively with an ape in africa.

I really hope you aren't serious with that. It is possibly the worst argument for theism I've ever heard (apart from Ray Comfort and the banana of course). Humans who do not speak the same language communicate effectiely with each other all the time. Ask anybody who has travelled in a country where they don't speak the language.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post