Questions you would like me to ask my seminary professors.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2018, 04:00 PM
RE: Questions you would like me to ask my seminary professors.
(10-01-2018 03:12 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  "Why didn't Jesus convert one scribe, or one person who could hire a scribe, or someone who was interested in what he said but didn't convert but still had his words written down first-hand, or a "newspaper report" who would do that. Having ZERO first-hand texts is just embarrassing for you."

And Jesus's "brother" texts are absurd, don't bother citing them.
I am a little confused on the question. Are you wanting to know why God would allow there to be no original autographs and only copied manuscripts? I just want to make sure I am understanding your question correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2018, 04:02 PM
(10-01-2018 04:00 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  What would convince them to change their mind on the existence of their god?
I would definitely consider that a valid question that every Christian must honestly ask themselves.

10-01-2018, 04:06 PM
(10-01-2018 03:13 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(10-01-2018 01:56 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I know that sometimes it is frustrating asking simple questions to a theist regarding their religion. Especially if they are completely ignorant of what their religion actually teaches. I just wanted to see if there are any legitimate questions anyone would like me to ask my seminary professors on your behalf to relay back to you.

I know several people who have left religion because these kind of questions were asked. Be careful with your soul.
So far, there is nothing being asked that I have not heard here on TTA or I have asked myself. Thank you for the warning.

10-01-2018, 04:09 PM
(10-01-2018 04:00 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(10-01-2018 03:12 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  "Why didn't Jesus convert one scribe, or one person who could hire a scribe, or someone who was interested in what he said but didn't convert but still had his words written down first-hand, or a "newspaper report" who would do that. Having ZERO first-hand texts is just embarrassing for you."

And Jesus's "brother" texts are absurd, don't bother citing them.
I am a little confused on the question. Are you wanting to know why God would allow there to be no original autographs and only copied manuscripts? I just want to make sure I am understanding your question correctly.

Why does God seem totally incompetent, if you need it laid on the line.

No orginal "autographs"? Did Jesus sign that spear or something?

The "copied manuscripts" are copies of any first hand statement from Jesus.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
10-01-2018, 04:09 PM
(10-01-2018 03:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  1) How much does a typical seminary prof get paid? and
2) Do they have a defined benefit retirement package or do they have to wait until they get to heaven?
They really don't get paid that much from the school. Some dont get paid at all. They make bank from the books they write and force their students to buy. Pensions depend on the university.

10-01-2018, 04:10 PM
(10-01-2018 03:26 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Why does a supposedly loving god allow this:

[Image: 180px-Girl_affected_by_famine_in_Bugurus...-_1921.jpg]

and this:

[Image: nazi-train.jpg]

and this:

[Image: natural-disasters-900x600.jpg]

I suppose you will get "sophisticated" version of free will crap or other such nonsense. Religious people - not all of them I suppose - to this day can't bring themselves to admit that Epicurus owned them with his famous quote:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
10-01-2018, 04:16 PM
(10-01-2018 03:18 PM)julep Wrote:  Is this going to be on the final exam? Angel Smartass

Okay, for real: Would you flunk a student who studied this material and came to a different conclusion than you do?
Depends on the school. Some seminary schools are denomination specific and tell you what to believe. I have found most Reformed seminaries to fall in this category. The seminary I attend is open to all denominations. It is traditionally a Baptist seminary but there were Lutherans, Presbyterians, Anglicans, and Pentecostals in my class which made for very "colorful" discussions. The professors are more concerned about why you believe something and if you can justify your conclusions.

[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
10-01-2018, 04:19 PM
(10-01-2018 04:09 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(10-01-2018 04:00 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am a little confused on the question. Are you wanting to know why God would allow there to be no original autographs and only copied manuscripts? I just want to make sure I am understanding your question correctly.

Why does God seem totally incompetent, if you need it laid on the line.

No orginal "autographs"? Did Jesus sign that spear or something?

The "copied manuscripts" are copies of any first hand statement from Jesus.
"Autograph" is the technical term in hermeneutics for the original copy. "Manuscripts" are copies of the autograph. I will relay the question.

10-01-2018, 04:48 PM
(10-01-2018 04:02 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(10-01-2018 04:00 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  What would convince them to change their mind on the existence of their god?
I would definitely consider that a valid question that every Christian must honestly ask themselves.

Its a simple, yet great question imho. It became most apparent during the Nye/Ham debate, that its important to find out if you are wasting your time or not. Nye did as it turned out at the end of the event, when Ham admitted that nothing would change his mind.

It is useless to try to talk to somebody about anything, when this person a priori states he/she wouldnt change his/her mind. Discussion is not a war to win, it is (supposed to be) a two way/bidirectional process. When discussing something with another person you need to be prepared to revise your own point of view. If one person only has an emitter and no receiver, its useless to try to communicate. I even would go as far as to claim its kind of intellectually dishonest to go into a discussion with the goal of convincing anybobdy else of anything you say, while claiming you wont change your mind at all in the first place. Expecting more from others than from yourself in this case is not a fair and honest position imho.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
10-01-2018, 06:14 PM
(10-01-2018 04:19 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The "copied manuscripts" are copies of any first hand statement from Jesus.
"Autograph" is the technical term in hermeneutics for the original copy. "Manuscripts" are copies of the autograph. I will relay the question.

When they teach hermeneutics, is there a unit on Herman Munster ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post