Questions you would like me to ask my seminary professors.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2018, 06:27 PM
RE: Questions you would like me to ask my seminary professors.
(10-01-2018 04:48 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(10-01-2018 04:02 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I would definitely consider that a valid question that every Christian must honestly ask themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Its a simple, yet great question imho. It became most apparent during the Nye/Ham debate, that its important to find out if you are wasting your time or not. Nye did as it turned out at the end of the event, when Ham admitted that nothing would change his mind.

It is useless to try to talk to somebody about anything, when this person a priori states he/she wouldnt change his/her mind. Discussion is not a war to win, it is (supposed to be) a two way/bidirectional process. When discussing something with another person you need to be prepared to revise your own point of view. If one person only has an emitter and no receiver, its useless to try to communicate. I even would go as far as to claim its kind of intellectually dishonest to go into a discussion with the goal of convincing anybobdy else of anything you say, while claiming you wont change your mind at all in the first place. Expecting more from others than from yourself in this case is not a fair and honest position imho.
Exactly, if a theists asks what would convince an atheist that God exists, it is fair to ask a theist what would convince them that God doesn't exist. If both admits there is nothing, there is no reason to argue. I do believe "I don't know." Is a valid answer as well. However, that would make the conversation much more challenging.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
10-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Not the profs but for you...

How long does your seminary education take and how far through it are you?

Have they gone over the authorship of the gospels, the forgeries and interpolations in the texts, and the history of selecting the canon? Does any of that give you pause to think about how you can know any of it is true?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
(10-01-2018 06:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-01-2018 04:19 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The "copied manuscripts" are copies of any first hand statement from Jesus.
"Autograph" is the technical term in hermeneutics for the original copy. "Manuscripts" are copies of the autograph. I will relay the question.

When they teach hermeneutics, is there a unit on Herman Munster ?
No. But they should!

Why is [our denomination] correct in its interpretations when the others are not?

(10-01-2018 01:58 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Question One:

Do they actually believe what they're teaching?

Caught in the Pulpit and the original study by Dennett and LaScola would imply "perhaps not". And that seminary is a good way for one to lose faith, because it's not Sunday School answers if it's a good school, it's contextual analysis, looking at myths of the Middle East and how they reappear in the Bible, etc. Edit: Unlike wherever cousin's husband went, where he can't discuss Christianity outside of an American context and his historical knowledge extends back to the Great Awakening.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
10-01-2018, 08:21 PM
(10-01-2018 01:56 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I know that sometimes it is frustrating asking simple questions to a theist regarding their religion. Especially if they are completely ignorant of what their religion actually teaches. I just wanted to see if there are any legitimate questions anyone would like me to ask my seminary professors on your behalf to relay back to you.

Hi Jason,

The question I'd like you to ask your professor is this: How can we reliably distinguish between what theists call God and something that is merely imaginary?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
10-01-2018, 10:21 PM
1) What is a God? How could I tell a God from an arbitrarily powerful non-God?

2) Why should anyone care if there's a God, further than curiosity, trying to avoid its wrath, or seeking rewards?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
10-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Hey JD, for your seminary profs:

1) Do you have doubts?
2) If so, are you afraid of damnation for having them?
3) If not, why not? (yes to doubts, no to fear of damnation)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-01-2018, 01:40 AM
Why do they have so little regard for evidence?
Do they know what evidence is?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-01-2018, 02:23 AM
(10-01-2018 01:56 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  ...I just wanted to see if there are any legitimate questions anyone would like me to ask my seminary professors on your behalf to relay back to you.

LOL... there's absolutely nothing any seminary "professor" could tell me that I don't already know... and in all likelihood with more exactitude.

Why would I take any advice from someone who seriously believes in a mythical sky-daddy? It could be just as misinformed. No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
11-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Has he ever considered that he has wasted his entire fucking life on bullshit?

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post