Questions you would like me to ask my seminary professors.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2018, 09:15 AM
RE: Questions you would like me to ask my seminary professors.
(11-01-2018 08:48 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Has he ever considered that he has wasted his entire fucking life on bullshit?
Well...if it got him a job, technically it's not a complete waste of his life. I don't think I am going to ask them that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
14-01-2018, 05:41 PM
(10-01-2018 01:56 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I know that sometimes it is frustrating asking simple questions to a theist regarding their religion. Especially if they are completely ignorant of what their religion actually teaches. I just wanted to see if there are any legitimate questions anyone would like me to ask my seminary professors on your behalf to relay back to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Explain this.

[Image: 130831195327-23-iconic-vulture---restric...allery.jpg]

Sapere aude
[+] 3 users Like f stop's post
01-03-2018, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2018 06:47 PM by true scotsman.)
Hello Jason,

I was wondering if you have had a chance to ask your professors the question that I submitted? The question was, how can we reliably distinguish between what theists call God and something that is merely imaginary? I'm very interested in their answer. I've asked this question to many theists and none have been able to answer it. They've all put forward some version of imagining as the method which of course fails completely. Two theists over the years have answered, I think honestly, that there isn't one. When Sye Ten Bruggencate was asked this question, he failed miserably and then fled. Now I expect that your professors are far more learned than he is so I'd really like to know what they would say. As a follow up question you might ask them if they indeed have no answer, does that give them pause? I mean they've made it their life's work to teach about theology.

Also I'd like to ask you if your professors can not answer this question, would that give you pause? I know it would give me pause and make me rethink everything I believed about theism (in fact it did, which is one of the reasons I'm no longer a theist) unless I was able to do it myself. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
02-03-2018, 09:52 AM
(01-03-2018 06:43 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  The question was, how can we reliably distinguish between what theists call God and something that is merely imaginary?

I'm not a seminary professor but I can answer that question. We live in a universe that has been created by someone, because it contains things like life that are too complex to heve come about by chance. A real universe is evidence that there is a real Creator.

If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.
Charles Darwin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2018, 09:55 AM
(02-03-2018 09:52 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 06:43 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  The question was, how can we reliably distinguish between what theists call God and something that is merely imaginary?

I'm not a seminary professor but I can answer that question. We live in a universe that has been created by someone, because it contains things like life that are too complex to heve come about by chance. A real universe is evidence that there is a real Creator.

As has been said many times, your ignorance and incredulity are not evidence for your preferred conclusion.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
02-03-2018, 09:57 AM
(02-03-2018 09:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  As has been said many times, your ignorance and incredulity are not evidence for your preferred conclusion.

No, but the existence of the universe is.

If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.
Charles Darwin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2018, 10:03 AM

Actually all that is, is an argument (from incredulity, and a god of the gaps) of an ignorant who knows nothing about biochemistry, and how life may have arisen. So no, in no conceivable way, have you answered the question. All you *have* done, is demonstrate your ignorance. Life did not arise "by chance". Since you know nothing of how Probability works, and how Biochemistry works, there is no reason to even try to explain it to you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-03-2018, 11:14 AM
(02-03-2018 09:57 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(02-03-2018 09:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  As has been said many times, your ignorance and incredulity are not evidence for your preferred conclusion.

[Image: godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face...384435.jpg]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
02-03-2018, 11:19 AM
(02-03-2018 09:57 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

The universe is not evidence of what potentially caused it to be. With no knowledge of what can possibly cause universes you have no options that you can rationally choose from. Saying "it must be a god" because you can't imagine anything else proves only that you have a limited imagination and a low tolerance for ambiguity.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
02-03-2018, 01:12 PM

This is a false dichotomy. The opposite of a creator is not chance. It is nature. It is causality. You also commit the fallacy of the stolen concept by positing that the universe has a cause. Causality is a law of nature and you use this concept in the absence of nature, i.e. the universe. Also you make a leap of inference from nature to the supernatural, a realm which contradicts nature and the law of identity which all logical inference rests on. So you fail miserably to provide a reliable method to distinguish what you call the creator from something that is merely imaginary. We're still left with no alternative but to imagine this creator. Try again.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 4 users Like true scotsman's post