Questions... :-/

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
RE: Questions... :-/
(03-07-2011 06:13 AM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  I am truly sorry you live in a country where one's access to scientific education is very limited. I stand by what I said, though I know you are a special circumstance. Is Youtube blocked in your country? There is a lot of educational information there about evolution and cosmology. I'm going to try and find you some legitimate websites where you can access this information.

However, I do worry for you, I hope you do not get in legal trouble for accessing any websites which may have controversial views towards your nation's views on religion. So please be careful!

not all Youtube videos are blocked Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2011, 03:58 AM
(03-07-2011 12:29 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  You live in England, so do I!! My friend asked me if why I don't become Muslim since I don't like Christianity but I said it's too tiresome to follow a religion and I don't believe in God.

A lot of Muslim's seem to be very militant when you tell them you're Atheist. They only ever ask me, I'd rather not discuss it. The tendency is for me to be addressed as a sinner, illogical or misguided. I love England for this.

[Image: websig.png]
04-07-2011, 10:15 AM
hmmm... it's good thing that England is secular country, most of my friends don't really believe in God or are agnostic about it. My dad didn't like the primary school I went to because ( not trying to be racist) the school was about 3/4 middle eastern and only about 100 whites and 3 blacks (include me), and in R.E the only thing that teach seem to teach was Islam.
Good thing high school is a varietyBig Grin

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
You can't beat a good secular nation, I feel sorry for the free thinkers in the US. Honestly, they have put up with way too much filth in their politics, public facilities and social environments.

[Image: websig.png]
05-07-2011, 01:07 AM
(04-07-2011 04:08 PM)Ms Rukia Wrote:  You can't beat a good secular nation, I feel sorry for the free thinkers in the US. Honestly, they have put up with way too much filth in their politics, public facilities and social environments.

That could be engraved in Granite in the Archives of Understatements !

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
05-07-2011, 10:08 AM
(04-07-2011 04:08 PM)Ms Rukia Wrote:  You can't beat a good secular nation, I feel sorry for the free thinkers in the US. Honestly, they have put up with way too much filth in their politics, public facilities and social environments.

What would have been like if America was a secular country?...... too weirdDodgy

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
05-07-2011, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2011 11:54 AM by gamutman.)
1. It's not unusual for people to think in terms of "before that this happened" so the question is intuitive, but basically meaningless. We can trace time back to the event horizon of the big bang and no further. However, since time is relative to only what follows from the big bang (which is actually a nickname for expansion - which means the beginning of space-time) the idea of "before" (which refers to time) is actually incoherent. Time as we experience it began at the moment of the big bang. There may have been another "dimension" of time from which the big bang was borne, however it would not be a part of our time experience. Therefore it was not happening "before" our time. Rather it would have been happening separate from our time. The truth is, however, nobody knows with certainty.

2. If you are asking how did plants evolve, there's a very interesting hypothesis that plants evolved from lichens, which themselves evolved from algae and moss. (I think I have the order right, but I could be mistaken. The important thing is that plants evolved from earlier states, the same as animals did.) Plant evolution did not occur in a vacuum, and other living things such as insects, arachnids and animals were evolving along side. Those which found symbiosis with or which developed defenses against the other forms thrived.

3. Created is a loaded term. Here's one hypothesis, but it is not the only hypothesis. A universe in which nothing exists has a zero sum and cannot be said to exist at all. Therefore some "thing" must exist in any universe. How do we get something from a zero sum? We parse the zero into +1 and -1. As long as there is an equal amount of negative and positive, the universe is still equal to zero. So the nothingness is expressed as equally represented amounts of positive and negative energy - which has no mass and no actual presence - yet it establishes the "appearance" (for lack of a better word) of actuality. All other things come from this apparent actuality. Space-time, energy, the forces, particles, etc. And these characteristics lead to other emergent characteristics; wetness, fractals, life, consciousness... But none of it is created; it simply emerges as a matter of course.

4. Morality is subjective. Religion brainwashes people into believing that it is objective, but it's clearly not. When we consider that empathy has a clear evolutionary advantage, it becomes obvious that animals behave "morally" toward their own kind as a self-defense mechanism. Consider that piranha, which eat anything that moves, do not eat each other because if they did they would soon cease to exist. Do piranha believe in God? Do ants? Do bacterium? Particular species of each of these things instinctively devours whatever living thing it comes in contact with. Yet they don't devour their own.

As we move up the evolutionary ladder, we see brain function developing. Lizards are all id. Birds have id and ego. Humans and perhaps some apes and maybe dogs have id, ego and super-ego. Along with this we have the ability to individualize and imagine the "minds" of others. From this we develop empathy, sympathy, compassion and trust issues. This is where morality lives.

If you are not aware of it, look up Euthyphro's dilemma. If morality came from God, then the issue of right-and wrong would be meaningless. Either God would be inventing the standard from nothing, or the standard would exist despite Him.

I hope my answers helped.