Quick German Translation Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Quick German Translation Help
I found an interesting German account of Chinese spirit possession (here, pp. 47-49) that I was able to read thanks to google translate. However, a couple of sentences read oddly.

1) "Nun gibt man ihm einen langen Säbel in die Hand und macht mit Tamtam und Cymbeln einen ganz mörderischen Skandal."

Quote:Google Translate: "Now you give him a long saber in his hand and makes a total murderous scandal with fanfare and cymbals."

"murderous scandal" just reads weird to me.

2) "Glaubtman, es sei des Spuks genug, so läßt man die Räucherkerzen löschen und der „Besessene“ fällt sofort wie leblos zu Boden."

Quote:Google Translate: "Believing that it is enough of the spit, so you can delete the incense and the "possessed" falls immediately as lifeless to the ground."

"enough of the spit"? Can anyone suggest a better translation for both? I just want to make sure that my translation here is accurate.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2017, 10:45 PM
RE: Quick German Translation Help
1) mörderisch = yuge, big (like murder) Tongue
we also often just say mörderxxxx like Mörderskandal = yuge scandal. Murdertits also work in German Big Grin

2) plain wrong translation. Dunno why tbh. Spucke = spit, Spuk = spook
Here "spook" is used in the sense of "something spooky"

3) "as lifeless", better "like lifeless"

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Deesse23's post
11-11-2017, 11:02 PM
RE: Quick German Translation Help
(11-11-2017 10:45 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  1) mörderisch = yuge, big (like murder) Tongue
we also often just say mörderxxxx like Mörderskandal = yuge scandal. Murdertits also work in German Big Grin

2) plain wrong translation. Dunno why tbh. Spucke = spit, Spuk = spook
Here "spook" is used in the sense of "something spooky"

3) "as lifeless", better "like lifeless"

Thank you
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user