Quit Smoking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 12:52 AM
RE: Quit Smoking
When I was younger I just liked to take anything to screw my head up. So long as it didn't have to be injected with a needle then you name it I took it. Now I just like to go to sleep on time, so it's a glass of rum, or a couple Zanex, or a healthy dose of Nyquil, but I've never been addicted to anything.....save those gawdam cigarrettes!!! To give you some idea Meth, Weed; nice but, meh, don't need it. But I can finish an entire swisher sweet cigar w/ those flavored wooden tips, and immediately upon snuffing it out my body yearns for a cigarrette!!! Obviously it's not the tobacco; I just had a whole cigar! And I'm not dependent on any of the other substances I've injested/inhaled over the years, so there is something POWERFUL in those cigarettes that doesn't get me drunk or high, but I absolutely NEED one. I'd love to quit, but don't know how to go about it Sad Cover myself in nicotene patches while simultaneously chewing nails? Help a brother out, I hate having to smoke, but it's SOO hard to go even 3-4 hours without going crazy Sad It's got me by the short hairs & won't let go!!!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2013, 07:46 AM
(16-04-2013 12:52 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  When I was younger I just liked to take anything to screw my head up. So long as it didn't have to be injected with a needle then you name it I took it. Now I just like to go to sleep on time, so it's a glass of rum, or a couple Zanex, or a healthy dose of Nyquil, but I've never been addicted to anything.....save those gawdam cigarrettes!!! To give you some idea Meth, Weed; nice but, meh, don't need it. But I can finish an entire swisher sweet cigar w/ those flavored wooden tips, and immediately upon snuffing it out my body yearns for a cigarrette!!! Obviously it's not the tobacco; I just had a whole cigar! And I'm not dependent on any of the other substances I've injested/inhaled over the years, so there is something POWERFUL in those cigarettes that doesn't get me drunk or high, but I absolutely NEED one. I'd love to quit, but don't know how to go about it Sad Cover myself in nicotene patches while simultaneously chewing nails? Help a brother out, I hate having to smoke, but it's SOO hard to go even 3-4 hours without going crazy Sad It's got me by the short hairs & won't let go!!!

You're right. It has been said that cigarette addictions are harder to quite than heroine. And it's true with regard to the mental addiction. The physical addiction to nicotine isn't any different than that to caffeine.

I don't know if you've tried them, but e cigarettes have gotten a lot better and their cost has dropped a lit. I own about four e cigs and haven't liked them but I know a number of people who quit real cigarettes with them and then gradually reduced the amount of nicotine in them to nothing. You mentioned cigars, which makes me assume you like flavored smokes.... you can get e cig "juice" in a variety of flavors, from regular cigarette & menthol cherry and other pipe tobacco flavors.

There's a really good book on the mechanics of addiction that has helped me begin an earnest attempt at quitting. It's called "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, Close Encounters with Addiction" by Gabor Matè. He examines addictions from heroine to workaholism and it's an incredibly informative read if nothing else.

Other than that, there's not much I can offer, seeing as how I just put one out and will probably be lighting another in a few minutes. Sadcryface

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
16-04-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm using the ecigs. I started with them seven weeks ago. They come in different mgs. I'm down to 6mg strength which is the equivalent to ultra-light cigarettes. I tried this before but with the attitude that I was going to use them as a way to quit smoking. I'm not doing that this time. I'm looking at them as a substitute for cigarettes and so far it's fine. They don't take away the desire for a real cigarette but enable you to ignore the craving...there's no urgency because they supply nicotine. It's okay with me if I use these for what's left of my life. It's the tars and other chemicals in cigarettes that make them so bad and ecigs have none. I know that I am totally addicted to nicotine, smoked for 32 years and tried every available (except Chantix) smoking sessation product in the past and failed every time. I hope you'll consider this.
17-04-2013, 06:01 AM
(15-04-2013 01:25 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Cigarettes that is. Wink

Today is five weeks since I quit. This has always been one of the hardest benchmarks for me to reach (this ain't my first dance with the quit demon). Cravings are brutal right now. In fact, I think the cravings are part of the reason for my insomnia the last few days.

Dammit this sucks!

Hey, good to hear.

Keep it up.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-04-2013, 07:27 AM
(16-04-2013 07:46 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 12:52 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  When I was younger I just liked to take anything to screw my head up. So long as it didn't have to be injected with a needle then you name it I took it. Now I just like to go to sleep on time, so it's a glass of rum, or a couple Zanex, or a healthy dose of Nyquil, but I've never been addicted to anything.....save those gawdam cigarrettes!!! To give you some idea Meth, Weed; nice but, meh, don't need it. But I can finish an entire swisher sweet cigar w/ those flavored wooden tips, and immediately upon snuffing it out my body yearns for a cigarrette!!! Obviously it's not the tobacco; I just had a whole cigar! And I'm not dependent on any of the other substances I've injested/inhaled over the years, so there is something POWERFUL in those cigarettes that doesn't get me drunk or high, but I absolutely NEED one. I'd love to quit, but don't know how to go about it Sad Cover myself in nicotene patches while simultaneously chewing nails? Help a brother out, I hate having to smoke, but it's SOO hard to go even 3-4 hours without going crazy Sad It's got me by the short hairs & won't let go!!!

You're right. It has been said that cigarette addictions are harder to quite than heroine. And it's true with regard to the mental addiction. The physical addiction to nicotine isn't any different than that to caffeine.

I don't know if you've tried them, but e cigarettes have gotten a lot better and their cost has dropped a lit. I own about four e cigs and haven't liked them but I know a number of people who quit real cigarettes with them and then gradually reduced the amount of nicotine in them to nothing. You mentioned cigars, which makes me assume you like flavored smokes.... you can get e cig "juice" in a variety of flavors, from regular cigarette & menthol cherry and other pipe tobacco flavors.

There's a really good book on the mechanics of addiction that has helped me begin an earnest attempt at quitting. It's called "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, Close Encounters with Addiction" by Gabor Matè. He examines addictions from heroine to workaholism and it's an incredibly informative read if nothing else.

Other than that, there's not much I can offer, seeing as how I just put one out and will probably be lighting another in a few minutes. Sadcryface

Laugh out load thanks! I'll definitely look into E-cigarettes, and thanks too for the link Smile
I won't even smoke in my own home, I hate it's smell on my clothes or furniture! E-cigarette every other time or something; cold turkey/total replacement might result in someone who gets too close being mauled by Withdraw-Man Evil_monster

17-04-2013, 08:21 AM
After 30 years of smoking the stinkies, I found ecigs a year and a bit ago. Have had only a handful of the stinkies since. The best invention ever! Had tried giving up before without success, then realised that I didn't actually WANT to give up. I actually enjoy it too much. I was of course concerned about the health aspect, as well as the cost, and ecigs solved that. I have saved approx £2000 and would have smoked approx 9000 cigs in that time.

Ecigs aren't and shouldn't be advertised as a cessation aid, but as a healthier alternative to the stinkies. If they were advertised as a cessation aid, then they would have to go through legal hoops and further regulations that stinkies do not. This would put a lot of companies out of business and I guarantee that ecigs would no longer be as effective and so many lives would be lost that would otherwise be saved.

The European parliament are considering legislation right now that would effectively ban ecigs across Europe. We have a big fight on our hands. If they do this, then I have no doubt that thousands, if not millions, of people would revert back to the stinkies.

If any of you are thinking of trying ecigs, then I suggest that you do a little research. The ones that look like cigs may not be the best choice (they weren't for me). This is a great forum that will help:

http://ukvapers.org
17-04-2013, 09:16 AM
(17-04-2013 08:21 AM)joben1 Wrote:  After 30 years of smoking the stinkies, I found ecigs a year and a bit ago. Have had only a handful of the stinkies since. The best invention ever! Had tried giving up before without success, then realised that I didn't actually WANT to give up. I actually enjoy it too much. I was of course concerned about the health aspect, as well as the cost, and ecigs solved that. I have saved approx £2000 and would have smoked approx 9000 cigs in that time.

Ecigs aren't and shouldn't be advertised as a cessation aid, but as a healthier alternative to the stinkies. If they were advertised as a cessation aid, then they would have to go through legal hoops and further regulations that stinkies do not. This would put a lot of companies out of business and I guarantee that ecigs would no longer be as effective and so many lives would be lost that would otherwise be saved.

The European parliament are considering legislation right now that would effectively ban ecigs across Europe. We have a big fight on our hands. If they do this, then I have no doubt that thousands, if not millions, of people would revert back to the stinkies.

If any of you are thinking of trying ecigs, then I suggest that you do a little research. The ones that look like cigs may not be the best choice (they weren't for me). This is a great forum that will help:

http://ukvapers.org

Exactly. Which is a perfect example of government harming the individual. Using e cigs is called vaping because you're inhaling vapor rather than smoke. Thus, if you use e cigs to quit smoking, you have indeed used them as a smoking cessation tool... safely, I might add.

And if anyone is doing research on ecigs and finds the scare articles claiming that e cigs contain anti-freeze... they're correct. The product that produces the vapor is a food grade, FDA approved (for years) and common preservative which doesn't freeze and which vaporizes at a low temperature.

While it's true that the long term health affects of breathing this product are as yet unkown, it's also true that it is far, far less hazardous a chemical than the carcinogens put into cigarettes. And even safer than raw, unmolested tobacco smoke.

So if e cigs are banned in your area, it will be just another example the state looking out for its own at your expense. After all, safety legislation goes to the highest bidder and the e gic industry just can't compete with the tobacco industry.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
17-04-2013, 09:40 AM
When they say "cessation aid", what they really mean is nicotine cessation aid (the N in NRT). It's not the nicotine that's the problem. Smoking cessation yes, I'm all for that.
17-04-2013, 11:24 AM
I must look into this e-cigs thingy, my main addiction with cigarettes comes from an oral fixation more than a chemical one, maybe these vapor sticks could help with that Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
29-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Quit Smoking
I just stopped this morning after almost 20 years. I'm going cold turkey. Wish me luck!
[+] 1 user Likes Matthespian's post