Quit Smoking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2013, 08:53 AM
RE: Quit Smoking
(26-08-2013 06:31 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I'm thinking of quitting. Well, I've been thinking for awhile now. It's gotten more serious now that I've gotten a little money. I'm tempted to get an E-cigarette to use as a smoking cessation tool. Habits die hard, and the one that got me going back the last time I quite (4 months after cold turkey and my coffee got lonely) has made me realize the actions of holding a cigarette are as much something I crave as smoking itself.

I know there isn't much study of E-cigs. I'm wondering if anyone else is on it, and is willing to pass on information that they know and their experience of being on the product.

I'm needing to quit, but the wanting isn't all there just yet.

Goddammit. :/

There's plenty of studies on ecigs. Also, I have already posted my experience of them earlier in this thread. The best invention ever! If you have any questions, ask away.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2013, 09:00 AM
(26-08-2013 07:55 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Quitting smoking relies heavily on realizing that the pleasure you get from a cigarette is an illusion. Smoking turns you into a nicotine junkie and you can't possibly feel relaxed without it in your system.

You feel stressed, you smoke, you feel better. You don't, however, feel better because nicotine is helping you relax. Your stress-o-metter might show 60% stress over daily life and 40% stress over the lack of nicotine. Once you smoke, the 40% goes away and you feel better. The 60% stress of daily life is still there. What have you gained?

If you let your body adapt to the lack of nicotine, a great amount of daily stress will disappear. You might crave for it, but why? I know I crave for cola because it tastes so damn good. But craving for something that tastes horribly and doesn't offer anything good? Also note that after quitting for a few days, the first cigarette will make you feel terrible, like the first time you smoked.

All this is just a summary of books on quitting smoking, which many people in here don't seem to read. Try them, they really help.

Yes, nicotine is addictive, but it is a pleasant addiction and relatively harmless in the right quantities. I quit smoking but took up vaping (ecigs) because I didn't want to quit nicotine as I enjoy it so much. Vaping is ideal as the action of smoking is part of the addiction.
26-08-2013, 10:58 AM
I am not adicted to the nicotine,im adicted to the act itself

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
26-08-2013, 11:27 AM
(26-08-2013 10:58 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  I am not adicted to the nicotine,im adicted to the act itself

You are both physically and emotionally addicted.

That's what makes it a bitch to stop permanently.

When y'all figure out a way to quit that works for everyone, send me a note and I'll proceed to make millions and give you a good chunk of it. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Easy..use e-cigs. Now give me the promised money.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
26-08-2013, 01:10 PM
(26-08-2013 12:24 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Easy..use e-cigs. Now give me the promised money.

I have them. I don't like them. I still buy real packs. Ecigs just made me enjoy the real ones even more.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-08-2013, 01:44 PM
(26-08-2013 09:00 AM)joben1 Wrote:  Yes, nicotine is addictive, but it is a pleasant addiction and relatively harmless in the right quantities. I quit smoking but took up vaping (ecigs) because I didn't want to quit nicotine as I enjoy it so much. Vaping is ideal as the action of smoking is part of the addiction.

Pleasant addiction? I've never heard of a single person in my life who enjoyed their first cigarette. I've never heard of a person who quit smoking and preferred living with nicotine. And I have never heard of a non smoker who sees the smoke in their face as a "pleasant" thing.
I believe that anything that can cause such a strong addiction (thus making you want more and more) is far from harmless.

(26-08-2013 11:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 10:58 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  I am not adicted to the nicotine,im adicted to the act itself

You are both physically and emotionally addicted.

When y'all figure out a way to quit that works for everyone, send me a note and I'll proceed to make millions and give you a good chunk of it. Tongue

That's exactly why I talked about the illusion, it's not simply physical. In any case, this is the "method" some people I know used and quit it quite easily. My brother had been an avid smoker for 10 years and after reading one book, he never touched a cigarette again, not even craved for one.

Anyhow, I'm not claiming to be an expert, I just saw it work with many people and I thought many smokers don't know about this illusion, so I thought I'd just throw it in.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
26-08-2013, 05:01 PM
(26-08-2013 01:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 12:24 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Easy..use e-cigs. Now give me the promised money.

I have them. I don't like them. I still buy real packs. Ecigs just made me enjoy the real ones even more.

Then you are using the wrong setup. I bet you are using those ecigs that look like real cigs. They are the worst kind and I wouldn't advise anyone to use them. Also, the flavours they come with are bloody awful. Like I have said previously in this thread

" my main ecig is a Vamo with variable wattage and resistance with either a rebuildable atty or a carto tank. Then again I like my GLV Mini, real smart and feels great in the hand. For going out and about I use my Ego 650mah with a Mega Dual Coil Short Carto.

Also, flavours make a helluva difference. My faves are Shire Malt, Tobacco Haze, 666, Black Cat and Cigarillos.

What I'm saying is you can't just give up after just trying one type and one flavour. I have yet to meet someone who failed to get off the stinkies by using the right ecig setup and a flavour they like."
26-08-2013, 05:10 PM
(26-08-2013 01:44 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 09:00 AM)joben1 Wrote:  Yes, nicotine is addictive, but it is a pleasant addiction and relatively harmless in the right quantities. I quit smoking but took up vaping (ecigs) because I didn't want to quit nicotine as I enjoy it so much. Vaping is ideal as the action of smoking is part of the addiction.
Quote:Pleasant addiction? I've never heard of a single person in my life who enjoyed their first cigarette. I've never heard of a person who quit smoking and preferred living with nicotine. And I have never heard of a non smoker who sees the smoke in their face as a "pleasant" thing.
I believe that anything that can cause such a strong addiction (thus making you want more and more) is far from harmless.

(26-08-2013 11:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  You are both physically and emotionally addicted.

That's exactly why I talked about the illusion, it's not simply physical. In any case, this is the "method" some people I know used and quit it quite easily. My brother had been an avid smoker for 10 years and after reading one book, he never touched a cigarette again, not even craved for one.

Anyhow, I'm not claiming to be an expert, I just saw it work with many people and I thought many smokers don't know about this illusion, so I thought I'd just throw it in.

Then your brother is very lucky. Nicotine addiction is not an illusion, it is very well attested.

The taste has nothing to do with nicotine. Nicotine has nothing to do with the smoke that "smokers" emit from their mouths. Nicotine in small doses has a pleasing and relaxing effect on the user. I AM a non-smoker - I "vape" ecigs. I am a nicotine addict and yes, it is pleasing to me and near harmless. The problem with cigs is the tar and chemicals they contain, not the nicotine. You are confusing smoking with vaping.
26-08-2013, 05:13 PM
(26-08-2013 05:01 PM)joben1 Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 01:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have them. I don't like them. I still buy real packs. Ecigs just made me enjoy the real ones even more.

Then you are using the wrong setup. I bet you are using those ecigs that look like real cigs. They are the worst kind and I wouldn't advise anyone to use them. Also, the flavours they come with are bloody awful. Like I have said previously in this thread

" my main ecig is a Vamo with variable wattage and resistance with either a rebuildable atty or a carto tank. Then again I like my GLV Mini, real smart and feels great in the hand. For going out and about I use my Ego 650mah with a Mega Dual Coil Short Carto.

Also, flavours make a helluva difference. My faves are Shire Malt, Tobacco Haze, 666, Black Cat and Cigarillos.

What I'm saying is you can't just give up after just trying one type and one flavour. I have yet to meet someone who failed to get off the stinkies by using the right ecig setup and a flavour they like."

Yeah, I know. I went and bought various different ones, in stores, online etc. They are infinitely more practical, and I do use them when I go places. At home, I look forward to a real cigarette. I wish it was different, really, because cigarettes make a mess and people who don't smoke hate the smell. When I didn't smoke, I didn't like the smell. I like menthol, and I haven't found any yet that come even near what my favorites taste like. I don't know what it is about them...