Quit Smoking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2013, 05:15 PM
RE: Quit Smoking
Dom,just smoke the worst brand of stinkies and your adiction is soon to be cured Tongue
atleast,thats how it happened to a friend of mine.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2013, 05:16 PM
(26-08-2013 11:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 10:58 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  I am not adicted to the nicotine,im adicted to the act itself

You are both physically and emotionally addicted.

That's what makes it a bitch to stop permanently.

When y'all figure out a way to quit that works for everyone, send me a note and I'll proceed to make millions and give you a good chunk of it. Tongue

Millions have quit by using ecigs.
26-08-2013, 05:31 PM
(26-08-2013 05:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 05:01 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Then you are using the wrong setup. I bet you are using those ecigs that look like real cigs. They are the worst kind and I wouldn't advise anyone to use them. Also, the flavours they come with are bloody awful. Like I have said previously in this thread

" my main ecig is a Vamo with variable wattage and resistance with either a rebuildable atty or a carto tank. Then again I like my GLV Mini, real smart and feels great in the hand. For going out and about I use my Ego 650mah with a Mega Dual Coil Short Carto.

Also, flavours make a helluva difference. My faves are Shire Malt, Tobacco Haze, 666, Black Cat and Cigarillos.

What I'm saying is you can't just give up after just trying one type and one flavour. I have yet to meet someone who failed to get off the stinkies by using the right ecig setup and a flavour they like."

Yeah, I know. I went and bought various different ones, in stores, online etc. They are infinitely more practical, and I do use them when I go places. At home, I look forward to a real cigarette. I wish it was different, really, because cigarettes make a mess and people who don't smoke hate the smell. When I didn't smoke, I didn't like the smell. I like menthol, and I haven't found any yet that come even near what my favorites taste like. I don't know what it is about them...

When I started vaping, I tried to find a tobacco flavoured ejuice that was as close to the flavour I was used to. Couldn't find one so I tried a load of non-tobacco flavours. They were great for a while but in the end I wasn't satisfied with them. I then looked again for tobacco flavours. By this time, a lot of new ejuice mixers/producers had arrived on the scene and I now have 5 tobacco flavoured ejuices I am more than happy with. I now hate the taste of regular cigs.

Obviously, not all go through the same process as I did. There are many that never touch the tobacco flavoured ejuices; preferring fruit, savoury etc flavours. The point is that there are many many flavours out there to try. This is the hardest part to get right.
[+] 1 user Likes joben1's post
27-08-2013, 09:04 AM
(26-08-2013 05:10 PM)joben1 Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 01:44 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  That's exactly why I talked about the illusion, it's not simply physical. In any case, this is the "method" some people I know used and quit it quite easily. My brother had been an avid smoker for 10 years and after reading one book, he never touched a cigarette again, not even craved for one.

Anyhow, I'm not claiming to be an expert, I just saw it work with many people and I thought many smokers don't know about this illusion, so I thought I'd just throw it in.

Then your brother is very lucky. Nicotine addiction is not an illusion, it is very well attested.

The taste has nothing to do with nicotine. Nicotine has nothing to do with the smoke that "smokers" emit from their mouths. Nicotine in small doses has a pleasing and relaxing effect on the user. I AM a non-smoker - I "vape" ecigs. I am a nicotine addict and yes, it is pleasing to me and near harmless. The problem with cigs is the tar and chemicals they contain, not the nicotine. You are confusing smoking with vaping.

I never said that nicotine addiction is an illusion. The illusion is that nicotine reduces stress. I was referring to people who were saying that they cannot quit because they smoke whenever they are stressed.
Nicotine addiction is 100% real, I know that. The thing is, after 1-2 weeks after quitting, your body does not need it anymore. It is easy to get addicted, but once you quit, your body recovers very fast.

I also know that the smoke is not nicotine and that the tar and other additives are the ones that are most harmful. The thing is, nicotine is SO addictive, that it can cause the user to smoke more and more, to a harmful level. You are an exception for not smoking a lot.

In any case, a friend of my aunt's was selling those e-cigs and half his friends (including relatives of mine) bought it. Only 1-2 are still using it now.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
27-08-2013, 12:35 PM
(27-08-2013 09:04 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 05:10 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Then your brother is very lucky. Nicotine addiction is not an illusion, it is very well attested.

The taste has nothing to do with nicotine. Nicotine has nothing to do with the smoke that "smokers" emit from their mouths. Nicotine in small doses has a pleasing and relaxing effect on the user. I AM a non-smoker - I "vape" ecigs. I am a nicotine addict and yes, it is pleasing to me and near harmless. The problem with cigs is the tar and chemicals they contain, not the nicotine. You are confusing smoking with vaping.

I never said that nicotine addiction is an illusion. The illusion is that nicotine reduces stress. I was referring to people who were saying that they cannot quit because they smoke whenever they are stressed.
Nicotine addiction is 100% real, I know that. The thing is, after 1-2 weeks after quitting, your body does not need it anymore. It is easy to get addicted, but once you quit, your body recovers very fast.

I also know that the smoke is not nicotine and that the tar and other additives are the ones that are most harmful. The thing is, nicotine is SO addictive, that it can cause the user to smoke more and more, to a harmful level. You are an exception for not smoking a lot.

In any case, a friend of my aunt's was selling those e-cigs and half his friends (including relatives of mine) bought it. Only 1-2 are still using it now.

Well there are studies done and ongoing studies into the effects of nicotine, and, while tentative, there appears to be many possible benefits (including the reduction of depression). I haven't seen any proof that the reduction in stress reported is an illusion. It is possible that in the future nicotine will be a prescription drug.

Also, I haven't heard of anyone who has smoked so much that their intake of nicotine is at a harmful level. Any smoker will tell you that they know when they have smoked too much, and that point comes way before any harmful level is reached.

As for me being an exception; I used to smoke a lot and now I vape a lot; I am NOT an exception.

http://ukvapers.org

Where did you get that figure of 1-2 weeks? Are you saying that if a smoker abstains for a couple of weeks they will have kicked the habit? If that were true, then I and dare I say millions of others would have no difficulty in quitting at all.

The ecigs your friend sold were obviously not right for some. There are many to choose from like I have said. I have been vaping for 18 months and am a member of a few ecig forums that have thousands of members. Many many of those have been vaping a lot longer than I have so there is no doubt that they work as an alternative and as a cessation aid (far better than any other). I can't see any argument against ecigs.
27-08-2013, 01:42 PM
(26-08-2013 08:53 AM)joben1 Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 06:31 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I'm thinking of quitting. Well, I've been thinking for awhile now. It's gotten more serious now that I've gotten a little money. I'm tempted to get an E-cigarette to use as a smoking cessation tool. Habits die hard, and the one that got me going back the last time I quite (4 months after cold turkey and my coffee got lonely) has made me realize the actions of holding a cigarette are as much something I crave as smoking itself.

I know there isn't much study of E-cigs. I'm wondering if anyone else is on it, and is willing to pass on information that they know and their experience of being on the product.

I'm needing to quit, but the wanting isn't all there just yet.

Goddammit. :/

There's plenty of studies on ecigs. Also, I have already posted my experience of them earlier in this thread. The best invention ever! If you have any questions, ask away.

I'm looking at the sites online and see a nice starter kit for 40$.
My starter questions would be: How long do you think this kit would last?
http://esmokercanada.com/e-cigarette-sta...tarter-kit Also, how was your transition from cigarettes to esmokes? Is it tough on the lungs? Are there any that don't feel like hooka's when it comes to the sugary taste (my throat snaps shut at hooka's so I'm worried the flavors would do the same to me)? Are the ecigs worse than smokes? Are there any scientific peer-reviewed studies that would show that the chemicals within are just as bad, or less bad?

Does it come in pink?

Just kidding about that last question. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
28-08-2013, 09:04 AM
(27-08-2013 12:35 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Well there are studies done and ongoing studies into the effects of nicotine, and, while tentative, there appears to be many possible benefits (including the reduction of depression). I haven't seen any proof that the reduction in stress reported is an illusion. It is possible that in the future nicotine will be a prescription drug.

Also, I haven't heard of anyone who has smoked so much that their intake of nicotine is at a harmful level. Any smoker will tell you that they know when they have smoked too much, and that point comes way before any harmful level is reached.

As for me being an exception; I used to smoke a lot and now I vape a lot; I am NOT an exception.

Where did you get that figure of 1-2 weeks? Are you saying that if a smoker abstains for a couple of weeks they will have kicked the habit? If that were true, then I and dare I say millions of others would have no difficulty in quitting at all.

The ecigs your friend sold were obviously not right for some. There are many to choose from like I have said. I have been vaping for 18 months and am a member of a few ecig forums that have thousands of members. Many many of those have been vaping a lot longer than I have so there is no doubt that they work as an alternative and as a cessation aid (far better than any other). I can't see any argument against ecigs.

Nicotine might relax you for a few minutes, but that does not mean it reduces stress. The mere act of smoking increases stress because it makes you an addict. Once you smoke and you get the "relief" from having nicotine in your body again, you feel better, thus you falsely believe that you are less stressed.
You don't need any proof for that, it's quite obvious. When you are an addict, the lack of the substance you need causes stress which is reduced when you receive the substance. That's more than enough to create that illusion.

Most people who enjoy nicotine are smokers, and smoking is very, very harmful. You don't need to smoke 8934619 cigarettes for smoking to be harmful. I'm not talking about immediate death. I'm talking about the long term health risks, which are many and real.

The 1-2 weeks figure was about your body getting used to the lack of nicotine, not your brain getting used to the lack of smoking. However, I just checked again, the first two weeks are simply the worst, after that it just gets easier, so I was wrong. But I'm still talking about the physical part, not the mental.

You may be happy with nicotine, but I've met very few people who would answer "no" to the question "if you could stop smoking with no withdrawal symptoms, would you do it?" (and they're usually under 25). Most people are aware of the harmful effects of smoking and would not compromise their health for the tiny kick nicotine gives them.

I'm not trying to argue against e-cigs. I'm just saying that they don't work for many people. Yes, thousands is a lot, but
a) some of them still have a habit that might be harmful
b) some of them haven't quit
c) thousands is a small number when compared to the millions or billions smokers in the world.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
28-08-2013, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2013 11:34 AM by joben1.)
(27-08-2013 01:42 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 08:53 AM)joben1 Wrote:  There's plenty of studies on ecigs. Also, I have already posted my experience of them earlier in this thread. The best invention ever! If you have any questions, ask away.

I'm looking at the sites online and see a nice starter kit for 40$.
My starter questions would be: How long do you think this kit would last?
http://esmokercanada.com/e-cigarette-sta...tarter-kit Also, how was your transition from cigarettes to esmokes? Is it tough on the lungs? Are there any that don't feel like hooka's when it comes to the sugary taste (my throat snaps shut at hooka's so I'm worried the flavors would do the same to me)? Are the ecigs worse than smokes? Are there any scientific peer-reviewed studies that would show that the chemicals within are just as bad, or less bad?

Does it come in pink?

Just kidding about that last question. Big Grin

I know I said ask me anything but, thinking about it, it would be best to point you to a forum that deals with what is available in your country and will allow you to ask for more than just one opinion and experience. Where are you from?

(28-08-2013 09:04 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(27-08-2013 12:35 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Well there are studies done and ongoing studies into the effects of nicotine, and, while tentative, there appears to be many possible benefits (including the reduction of depression). I haven't seen any proof that the reduction in stress reported is an illusion. It is possible that in the future nicotine will be a prescription drug.

Nicotine might relax you for a few minutes, but that does not mean it reduces stress. The mere act of smoking increases stress because it makes you an addict. Once you smoke and you get the "relief" from having nicotine in your body again, you feel better, thus you falsely believe that you are less stressed.
You don't need any proof for that, it's quite obvious. When you are an addict, the lack of the substance you need causes stress which is reduced when you receive the substance. That's more than enough to create that illusion.

Most people who enjoy nicotine are smokers, and smoking is very, very harmful. You don't need to smoke 8934619 cigarettes for smoking to be harmful. I'm not talking about immediate death. I'm talking about the long term health risks, which are many and real.

The 1-2 weeks figure was about your body getting used to the lack of nicotine, not your brain getting used to the lack of smoking. However, I just checked again, the first two weeks are simply the worst, after that it just gets easier, so I was wrong. But I'm still talking about the physical part, not the mental.

You may be happy with nicotine, but I've met very few people who would answer "no" to the question "if you could stop smoking with no withdrawal symptoms, would you do it?" (and they're usually under 25). Most people are aware of the harmful effects of smoking and would not compromise their health for the tiny kick nicotine gives them.

I'm not trying to argue against e-cigs. I'm just saying that they don't work for many people. Yes, thousands is a lot, but
a) some of them still have a habit that might be harmful
b) some of them haven't quit
c) thousands is a small number when compared to the millions or billions smokers in the world.

Okay, I take your point about stress and addiction. Smokers know that they are addicted and know how harmful it is; you're preaching to the choir.

"if you could stop smoking with no withdrawal symptoms, would you do it?" smoking yes, vaping no. If smoking (and the act that goes with it) was the only option, then I would reluctantly give it up purely because of the health issues. This is because I really did enjoy smoking and now enjoy vaping. I can assure you that I am not the only one who feels this way (see forums below). I tried giving up smoking many times using many methods without success until I found ecigs.

Whether they work for everyone is arguable and beside the point. They are by far the most effective way to beat smoking.

I am unsure what you mean by point (a). Point (b) is correct but they are at least smoking less which is an improvement. Point © is incorrect as it runs into the millions and is increasing rapidly which is amazing since they haven't been on the market that long.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/electronic...tatistics/
and this is only the US.

It is not only the nicotine that gives this enjoyment. There are many vapers that only use nicotine free eliquids which shows this. This is a major reason why ecigs are so successful where NRT products are not. When switching to ecigs, you can actually wean yourself off nicotine by gradually reducing the nicotine content of the liquid.

In my view, ecigs are succeeding while NRT products are not. That can only be a good thing.

Forums that give the experiences of vapers and other useful info:

http://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
28-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Joben,whats vaping like? Similar to a hookah?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
28-08-2013, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2013 11:54 AM by joben1.)
Never tried a hookah but, looking at one, I suppose it is but more convenient. Don't know what's in hookahs but there is no sugary taste (mentioned earlier in the thread) to the eliquids I use.