Quote mining

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2010, 02:41 PM
RE: Quote mining
(01-04-2010 02:38 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(01-04-2010 02:34 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(01-04-2010 02:32 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(30-03-2010 08:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  There is a flip side to this point: Bible quotes.

The problem with trying to use the Bible to disprove what Christians think it says is that the Bible says hundreds of different things, many of them self-contradictory, and Christians have been indoctrinated to believe that every time it says something it is speaking the truth. They can pick any verse they want and ignore the opposite one, then say that you are ignoring context when you bring up the old one.
I don't think it's right, I don't think that it's particularly intelligent, but they do it, and this means that arguing with religious people over what their holy book says is meaningless. Unless it's something incredibly mind-rapingly stupid like martinb59's dinosaur bit, there's no point in pointing out contradictions to them. They have long since mastered the art of doublethink - the ability to hold two contradictory thoughts and believe them both to be true.
Moral of the story: don't use Bible quotes against a Christian.

Clarify what you mean by " incredibly mind-rapingly stupid like martinb59's dinosaur bit"

I have. Several times. Including in the last post of your latest thread. Don't tell me that you are still maintaining that you didn't blatantly quote-mine those verses.

What verses, just tell me I don't have to go back and look.

Linky.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2010, 07:04 PM

(31-03-2010 06:45 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Kara_Critica I have bad news for you! You got what I was trying to say in the first half of your response, FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT!!!! The problem for you is everyone thinks I'm crazy so you have either risen above or sunk to the bottom of this pool.

This quote, of course I totally disagree with "It is full of events, statements, and concepts which are both self-contradictory and demonstrably false" But we can talk about that later.

Well, I'm glad that I've interpreted your analogy correctly. I couldn't determine whether or not you are crazy without a standardized test performed by a psychiatrist, but I can say that I have not seen an example of sound logic from you thus far.
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2010, 07:23 PM

(05-04-2010 07:04 PM)Kara_Critica Wrote:  
(31-03-2010 06:45 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Kara_Critica I have bad news for you! You got what I was trying to say in the first half of your response, FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT!!!! The problem for you is everyone thinks I'm crazy so you have either risen above or sunk to the bottom of this pool.

This quote, of course I totally disagree with "It is full of events, statements, and concepts which are both self-contradictory and demonstrably false" But we can talk about that later.

Well, I'm glad that I've interpreted your analogy correctly. I couldn't determine whether or not you are crazy without a standardized test performed by a psychiatrist, but I can say that I have not seen an example of sound logic from you thus far.

Give an example.
05-04-2010, 07:30 PM

(05-04-2010 07:23 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

Give an example.

Big Grin Did anyone else find that hilarious? Tongue

"I haven't seen an example of sound logic from you thus far."
"Give an example."

Meaning, give an example of sound logic? An example of unsound logic? Or give an example of someone using sound logic, who I just stated I haven't seen doing so?
05-04-2010, 07:49 PM

(05-04-2010 07:30 PM)Kara_Critica Wrote:  

Give an example.

"Give an example."

Meaning, give an example of sound logic? An example of unsound logic? Or give an example of someone using sound logic, who I just stated I haven't seen doing so?

Boy I guess I need to spell everything out for the kids!

You said "I haven't seen an example of sound logic from you thus far."
I said "'Give an example"
Soooo...If you said "I haven't seen an example of sound logic from you thus far."
And I said "Give an example" what do you think i was referring to?

To quote this person "Did anyone else find that hilarious?" they cant follow a simple sentence!

Now I quote this person putting me down, I turn it on them and I will be the one who is condescending.
05-04-2010, 07:57 PM

(05-04-2010 07:49 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(05-04-2010 07:30 PM)Kara_Critica Wrote:  

Give an example.

"Give an example."

Boy I guess I need to spell everything out for the kids!

You said "I haven't seen an example of sound logic from you thus far."
I said "'Give an example"
Soooo...If you said "I haven't seen an example of sound logic from you thus far."
And I said "Give an example" what do you think i was referring to?

To quote this person "Did anyone else find that hilarious?" they cant follow a simple sentence!

Now I quote this person putting me down, I turn it on them and I will be the one who is condescending.

Jokes about children nonwithstanding, I still do not know what you are asking for. Is it:

1) An example of sound logic?
2) An example of unsound logic?
3) Or give an example of someone using sound logic, who I just stated I haven't seen doing so?
4) Or some other meaning I haven't been able to determine yet?
05-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Surely it must be an example of unsound logic, although Martin isn't using perfect logic here. An example for her never seeing sound logic from you?

The only possible choice is unsound, although someone can use unsound logic here, and sound logic there, so it doesn't never prove that Martin has never used sound logic.

Confusing.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
05-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Oh! Thanks Ashley.
Well, that would clearly be an example of unsound logic; asking someone to prove a universal negative. Considering analogies as proof would be another example. A third one is the classic "straw man." That is, attacking a claim that the other party doesn't actually hold, refuting it, and then claiming to have actually been refuting the other person's claim. So far I've seen what may be examples of Martin using all three.
05-04-2010, 08:25 PM
(05-04-2010 08:16 PM)Kara_Critica Wrote:  So far I've seen what may be examples of Martin using all three.

They are.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2010, 08:54 PM

(05-04-2010 08:25 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(05-04-2010 08:16 PM)Kara_Critica Wrote:  So far I've seen what may be examples of Martin using all three.

They are.

I think that they probably are, but her track record of confusion and ambiguity makes me hesitant to claim that I know for certain what she was attempting to say or prove.