Quotes, Sayings & Thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Quotes, Sayings & Thoughts
"'God' may be infallible, but man certainly is not. Any claim of infallibility or absolute knowledge by a man [or state or organization], whether it be from enlightenment, divine providence or whatnot, and no matter how benevolent the intensions may be, is at the least a small step toward an evil."

I am quite thankful I live in a secular state.
Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2011, 11:43 AM
RE: Quotes, Sayings & Thoughts
I am always stunned by the last few sentences of The Origin Of Species:

"Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
"
Rolleyes

It's from the 1st edition in wich the word God doesn't appear unlike later editions.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2011, 03:14 AM
"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.."
- Adoph Hitler (Mein Kampf, Chapter 2)

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
14-02-2011, 05:35 AM
(14-02-2011 03:14 AM)No J. Wrote:  "Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.."
- Adoph Hitler (Mein Kampf, Chapter 2)
*shudders!!*
+1 rep

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
14-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Dawkins explains fitness, measured as the amount of descendants:
''If we lok far enough to the future, either I shall have no descendants at all, or either all persons alive will be my descendants.''
So, the fitness of an organism by that definition is either 0 or 1. It's so obvious, but yet I didn't figure it out myself.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
15-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I've had this one as my signature before. Can't find who said it though. If anyone knows, I'd love to find out.

"From the faith that you release, find an atheists peace"

So many cats, so few good recipes.
15-02-2011, 01:59 PM
(15-02-2011 01:29 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I've had this one as my signature before. Can't find who said it though. If anyone knows, I'd love to find out.

"From the faith that you release, find an atheists peace"

"From the faith that you release, comes an atheist peace"

That is from the lyrics of Bad Religion- atheist peace. It was written by Dr. Greg Griffin I believe. Kickass band BTW, I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuZQ71Zm0cQ

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
16-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Thanks!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
16-02-2011, 03:15 PM
"I lost the Game." -Me

Couldn't help it. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2011, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2011 01:51 PM by cfhmagnet.)
"...while argument and teaching, we may suspect, are not powerful with all men, but the soul of the student must first have been cultivated by means of habits for noble joy and noble hatred, like earth which is to nourish the seed. For he who lives as passion directs will not hear argument that dissuades him, nor understand it if he does; and how can we persuade one in such a state to change his ways? And in general passion seems to yield not to argument but to force. The character, then, must somehow be there already with a kinship to virtue, loving what is noble and hating what is base."
-Aristotle

This is an excerpt from the last book in his Nichomachean Ethics. What he means here, is there are people who live by "argument and teaching" (intellectually) and those who live "as passion directs" (emotionally). He was basically foreseeing the Bill O'Reilly/Pat Robertson type of guy here, somebody who motivates people through emotion; either scaring/exciting them to his cause, or pissing them off on the other side; rather than through an attempt at intellectual persuasion. Those who live by emotion only change by force. Those who live by rational argument take the time to develop the rational side of their mind, something which is a long difficult process. Because these people took the time and worked at it, this is part of what makes them better people than those who live by "passion", at least in Aristotle's mind. Aristotle, over 2000 years ago, told us that this type of person (the passion driven) is a bad, unethical/unvirtuous person, in some cases beyond hope. Unfortunately, not only has society not learned this lesson, but there are those who would demonize my "intellectualism" or "pseudo-intellectualism" (grrrrrrrr) for having dared read a book on ethics and then thought about and applied what it's author had to say.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete