Quotes, Sayings & Thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2011, 12:04 AM
RE: Quotes, Sayings & Thoughts
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.
- Nichols' Fourth Law - George E. Nichols

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2011, 09:06 AM
"Every member of a church promises to remain orthodox, that is to say -- stationary. Growth is heresy. Orthodox ideas are the feathers that have been molted by the eagle of progress. They are the dead leaves under the majestic palm, while heresy is the bud and blossom at the top."
-Robert Ingersoll, Heretics And Herecies (1874)

"Heresy is the eternal dawn, the morning star, the glittering herald of the day. Heresy is the last and best thought. It is the perpetual New World, the unknown sea, toward which the brave all sail. It is the eternal horizon of progress."
-Robert Ingersoll, Heretics And Herecies (1874)
31-03-2011, 11:03 AM
"Do you wonder that the paleontologist, absorbed in contemplation of his splendid edifice, walks a little apart from the ways of men; that the little personal affairs and interests of the fleeting present which make up the world of his fellows, seems to him but gewgaws and trifles of no importance? His field of vision embraces the whole of life. His time scale is so gigantic that it dwarfs to insignificance the centuries of human endeavor. And the laws and principles which he studies are those which control the whole great stream of life, upon which the happenings of our daily existence appear but as little surface ripples."
-W.D. Matthews

And Darwin's bulldog
“Sit down before fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses nature leads, or you shall learn nothing” -Thomas Henry Huxley

Evolve
05-04-2011, 02:46 PM
This one is said to be a gandhi quote, but it may have been from an earlier source.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow,
and learn as if you were to live forever."

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
05-04-2011, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 04:20 PM by MasterRottweiler.)
"Surely the ass who invented the first religion ought to be the first ass damned. Faith is believing in that which I know ain't so."

"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
-Mark Twain.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-Gandhi.

"In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point."

"The word "Christianity" is already a misunderstanding - in reality there has been only one Christian, and he died on the Cross."

"The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad."

- Friederich Nietzsche.

And of course, one of my favourite quotes from Carl Sagan's Demon-Haunted World.

"Think of how many religions attempt to validate themselves with prophecy. Think of how many people rely on these prophecies, however vague, however unfulfilled, to support or prop up their beliefs. Yet has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science? ... No other human institution comes close."

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes MasterRottweiler's post
05-04-2011, 07:41 PM
(14-02-2011 08:49 AM)Kikko Wrote:  Dawkins explains fitness, measured as the amount of descendants:
''If we lok far enough to the future, either I shall have no descendants at all, or either all persons alive will be my descendants.''
So, the fitness of an organism by that definition is either 0 or 1. It's so obvious, but yet I didn't figure it out myself.

Which book is that from?

"Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion."

Jon Stewart

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
06-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Fundamentalism, of any type, due to its prerequisite lack of intelligent thought, could prove to be the worst weapon of mass destruction, of all.
– David J. Constable

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
06-04-2011, 08:53 PM
I found this one on another forum:

"Debating a creationist is like playing chess with a pigeon. You make the correct moves, but it knocks down the pieces, shits on the board, doesn't pay attention, pecks your hand, fly back to its nest, and claim its own victory."

No source given

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
[+] 2 users Like Norseman's post
06-04-2011, 10:13 PM
A Gaelic quote often heard in the ol' clann
"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
It means, your Ancestors won’t let you down.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
07-04-2011, 02:21 AM
(06-04-2011 08:53 PM)Norseman Wrote:  I found this one on another forum:

"Debating a creationist is like playing chess with a pigeon. You make the correct moves, but it knocks down the pieces, shits on the board, doesn't pay attention, pecks your hand, fly back to its nest, and claim its own victory."

No source given

I LOL'd so hard, very nice quote indeed. Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user