Quotes, Sayings & Thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2011, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2011 02:00 PM by Kikko.)
RE: Quotes, Sayings & Thoughts
Quote:Which book is that from?
The Extended Phenotype's chapter on defining ''fitness''.
Quote:"Debating a creationist is like playing chess with a pigeon. You make the correct moves, but it knocks down the pieces, shits on the board, doesn't pay attention, pecks your hand, fly back to its nest, and claim its own victory."
I saw that on a science forum once. Big Grin The quote was in Finnish though.
By quick-googling I couldn't find the source of the quote, but there seem to be different versions of it, where the ''creationist'' is replaced with something like ''a basic Finn'' (the populstic party of finland).

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2011, 05:31 PM
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." - Douglas Adams

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
07-04-2011, 07:16 PM
(07-04-2011 01:49 PM)Kikko Wrote:  The Extended Phenotype's chapter on defining ''fitness''.

I can't believe I can't get that for my Kindle! Angry

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
07-04-2011, 09:54 PM

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there wouldn't be religious people."
Doris Egan, House M.D., The Right Stuff, 2007
"God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos; He will set them above their betters."
H. L. Mencken
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2011, 08:42 AM
(07-04-2011 07:16 PM)Norseman Wrote:  
(07-04-2011 01:49 PM)Kikko Wrote:  The Extended Phenotype's chapter on defining ''fitness''.

I can't believe I can't get that for my Kindle! Angry
It's not expensive as a real book, 6.66€ (it's the devill!!) and free shipping to just about any western country. I'm not sure if you can pay with krones though.

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/97801...-Phenotype

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
16-09-2011, 11:58 PM
First post but it's an arena that is near and dear to my heart. It's from a guy whose name I cannot pronounce and I know nothing else about.

"Those who seek consolation in existing churches often pay for their peace of mind with a tacit agreement to ignore a great deal of what is known about the way the world works" Mihaly Csikszentm­ihalyi.

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
Trevor

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
17-09-2011, 10:35 PM
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates