Quran vs Bible: Which is more violent?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2016, 08:12 AM
Quran vs Bible: Which is more violent?
According to this article a software engineer had a computer program analyze the 2 texts and found that the bible was more violent than the Quran.

One thing that the article did not mention was violent act itself. If they are counting stoning women as the same type of violence as genocide, that is certainly something to take into account. They did not say anything other than the occurrence of violence or why it was done. I think a far more interesting study would be to investigate the motives for the violence. How much was divinely commanded versus just people being assholes.

Quote:"Killing and destruction are referenced slightly more often in the New Testament (2.8%) than in the Quran (2.1%), but the Old Testament clearly leads—more than twice that of the Quran—in mentions of destruction and killing (5.3%)."

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2016, 09:22 AM
RE: Quran vs Bible: Which is more violent?
"Using text analytics software he had developed, named 'Odin Text'..."

Now that there is pretty funny.

In software and computing, one has to be sure what one is inputting and how it is handled- GIGO. Though from my own experience, there is plenty of violence in the buybull. The OT is more primitive, so more violence doesn't surprise me. One only has to go back a few hundred years to witness the violence promulgated by the RCC, like the Inquisition or the Crusades.
11-02-2016, 11:10 AM
I don't know how much that matters? The vast majority of modern believers are subjectively-filtering cafeteria patrons, and it's trivial to find examples of any world religion exploiting power if it's ever been in a position of power.

... this is my signature!
11-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Any time I see people try to figure out which of these two religions is more violent/sexist/retrograde, I always think about comparisons between the KKK and the Nazis. I mean, I'm pretty sure the Nazis win that in almost every category, but that's not painting any kind of a good picture of the KKK. Racist apples are still bad, even when compared to genocidal oranges.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
11-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Neither the Quran or the Bible (or the Torah, or any other book you'd care to mention) is violent.

It's just the fuckheads who read the damned things and think they're a license to be a bloody dick.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-02-2016, 06:13 PM
(11-02-2016 09:22 AM)Fireball Wrote:  The OT is more primitive, so more violence doesn't surprise me.

Because more "primitive" equals more violent?
11-02-2016, 06:21 PM
(11-02-2016 06:13 PM)Gaest Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 09:22 AM)Fireball Wrote:  The OT is more primitive, so more violence doesn't surprise me.

Because more "primitive" equals more violent?

I'm thinking it, yes.
11-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Much of the Quran requires you to understand the bible. So I'm not sure how mutually exclusive they are.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
11-02-2016, 07:23 PM
(11-02-2016 03:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Neither the Quran or the Bible (or the Torah, or any other book you'd care to mention) is violent.

It's just the fuckheads who read the damned things and think they're a license to be a bloody dick.

Unless they are simply a historical record of people being bloody dicks.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
11-02-2016, 07:43 PM
What about the Hadith?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?